knee injury

Options
I've been battling a knee injury over a year. Went to doctor, nothing serious like surgery just tight muscles and maybe a very very tiny tear posterior ly. I lift ALOT and run long distance. Right now I'm dealing with the pain....again...and swelling. ..again. any suggestions for cardio, light cardio, until the pain and swelling go down?

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Stop running. If there's a lot of swelling that's inflammation. If it hurts to walk, rest. Research what you can do to reduce systemic inflammation.

Balance work and stronger hamstrings. Eating more healthy fats helped MY knees. It might not be same for your body.

Tendons and ligaments have poor blood circulation so they get less nutrients for repairs. Treat them like your baby.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Stop running. If there's a lot of swelling that's inflammation. If it hurts to walk, rest. Research what you can do to reduce systemic inflammation.

Balance work and stronger hamstrings. Eating more healthy fats helped MY knees. It might not be same for your body.

Tendons and ligaments have poor blood circulation so they get less nutrients for repairs. Treat them like your baby.

All of this. Rest, rest, rest! No need to make it worse.

What part of your knee hurts? Outside of the knee? Above? Below? Inside of the knee? I've had my share of knee problems (ITBS off-and-on for years and tendinitis in both knees alternately), and they were remedied by a lot of rest. After years of knee problems, I took ~8 months off running (not entirely on purpose...), and when I came back to it, the knee pain was gone. That may be a bit of an excessive amount of time, but running is so much more fun without pain! To keep my ITBS and tendinitis from coming back, I do a lot of core/stability work to keep things strong and in line, namely sit-ups, push-ups, planks, squats, lunges, and single-leg balances.
  • RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Remove the knee. Who needs knees?
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Plus, you went to the doctor. Depending on their specialty, wouldn't they be the best advice you can get on the amount and nature of physical activity recommended in your case?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    The advice so far has been good. It would also be wise, and I am surprised the doctor did not recommend it, would be seeing a physiotherapist to get proper rehab exercises which will hopefully prevent re-occurrence of the problem.
  • nkillick02
    nkillick02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Recumbent /semi recumbent bikes works for my knee. After working out on that I would do some PT excercises I found online. Like Foamroller said, you have to baby that knee. If I'm going to walk for more than a few blocks, then I wear an ace bandage or wear a knee brace. I even limited taking the stairs, and when I do, I pay great attention to making sure I put more weight on the banister (and hope I don't break it :) ) than on my knee. At night I sleep with a pillow under my knee. It's been a few months since my last reoccurrence, and my knee feels so much better.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    For lifting if you usually squat try replacing that with Goodmornings, they are good for knee injuries as they don't require lots of laden motion at that joint but you still work the area in a stabilizing function. They also for me help isolate the glutes, mine like to be dormant and often my knees and surrounding connective tissue are the limiting factor with squats as most of the work is done below the hips.

I trust you can find descriptions for the movement but have someone familiar with it spot you for form at least.
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you go to see a physio to try and get a better idea f what is actually causing your knee pain and to see if there is anything you can do to help improve the way your body works to safeguard your knees. It may be a bit of trial and error but it is better to work on a solution now than risk an irrepairable injury in the future.

Do you wear knee supports at all? I find a neoprene knee sleeve helps reduce knee pain when walking and I am trialling knee wraps for lifting.