Alcohol and Fat Burning

Options
What do you guys think of this theory? I wonder if I cut out all alcohol if I could shred this last bit of body fat I'm trying to get rid of??

Overview

Alcohol is primarily made out of carbohydrates, but it is a special kind of carb that metabolizes differently from others, due in part to the fact that it is fermented. Some foods are more conducive to fat burning than others. Alcohol consumption interferes with fat burning, which may hinder efforts to lose weight.
Weight Loss

In order to lose weight, you must create an environment within your body that sustains a state in which fat is burned for energy instead of glucose, the primary molecule used in the process of cellular respiration. This is achieved when the body no longer has an ample amount of energy on hand. A calorie deficit, where the number of calories burned exceeds the number of calories consumed, deprives your body of immediate energy triggering it to begin burning fat.

Alcohol is absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract, but it cannot be stored by the cells. Thus, the body must oxidize alcohol to get rid of it. Oxidation essentially means that it is being burned up. However, this oxidation can only occur in the liver, where the proper protein enzymes are located to facilitate alcohol metabolism. The alcohol is metabolized into acetate, which is then broken down to carbon dioxide and water.

Significance

According to Dr. Andrew Weil, a Harvard educated doctor currently working at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, the acetate from alcohol metabolism is the first fuel to burn for energy. During this time, the body will burn very little of any other form of energy such as the fatty acids stored up in adipose tissue, postponing the act of weight loss. A study published in "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" found that the metabolism of alcohol decreased whole body lipid oxidation by 73 percent.

Considerations

Many carbohydrates are stored as a backup source of energy in the liver and muscles called glycogen, a long chain of glucose units. Alcohol, however, does not. Therefore, your body will return immediately to a fat burning state once the alcohol is used up. This may take up to a few hours after you have finished consuming alcohol.

Warning

Weight loss may still be achieved if alcohol consumption is done in moderation, as long as you are burning more fat than you are putting on. However, many individuals do not drink in moderation. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism reports that 15.5 percent of all adults in the United States participated in binge drinking--five or more drinks in a single sitting--at least once a month in 2008. Binge drinking adds calories to the diet and prevents the body from metabolizing fat that might otherwise be burned.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/280263-alcohol-fat-burning/#ixzz1MH7rprRl

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    lol I think that if they consider 5 drinks "binge drinking" they need a reality check, for starters.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are 100% right. Its just HARD to give up my one glass of wine most evenings while I make dinner. :ohwell:
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My trainer tells me to cut out alcohol all the time (I also have the last little bit to get rid of). He said with my kickboxing 3 times a week, running and strength training at least once a week I would have a rockin bod in a month. However, I love my wine, especially at the end of a long week.

I think if you already drink in moderation (a few drinks a week) then probably not. However, if you go out with friends and consume drinks for hours one weekend night and have a glass or 2 during the week it would probably make a difference. I am not expert but that is what I have been told by my trainer.

Good Luck!
  • patattheshire
    patattheshire Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    wow tough choice do we have to give up all drinking or just cut back to one or two days a week
  • mannagayle
    mannagayle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I have been trying to find this kind of information about alcohol and weight loss for a long time now. I was curios to know exactly what the alcohol causes your body to do. Good luck with your last few til your goal!! :D
  • notOpel
    notOpel Posts: 46
    Options
    I didn't read the whole post but yes, cutting out alcohol will definitely help you shed pounds. When you drink alcohol your just consuming empty calories and "bad" carbs (simple sugars). Drinking also lowers your inhibition which means your more likely to cave in to a craving for a greasy burger you would usually pass up. Of course, everything should be done in moderation. :)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    lol I think that if they consider 5 drinks "binge drinking" they need a reality check, for starters.

LOL...I was thinking the same thing. that's usually an appetizer! :drinker:
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Honestly I notice my body does not burn fat and I do not have the loss on weigh in on the weekends I go out and party. But it does suck! I love my Patron, Grey Goose Martini's and a good Pinot Noir. Poor babies miss me I am sure.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    that is true. cut back on the fat grams and have a small glass of wine .it will do the same thing as cutting carbs wine dose not have fat in it and will not store it
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options
    crap, five drinks is binging?

i need an intervention!!! did you people hear me?? i siad I NEED AN INTERVENTION!!!
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options
    I didn't read the whole post but yes, cutting out alcohol will definitely help you shed pounds. When you drink alcohol your just consuming empty calories and "bad" carbs (simple sugars). Drinking also lowers your inhibition which means your more likely to cave in to a craving for a greasy burger you would usually pass up. Of course, everything should be done in moderation. :)

crap - i read greasy burger...*kitten*!! now i want one! :)
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    crap, five drinks is binging?

i need an intervention!!! did you people hear me?? i siad I NEED AN INTERVENTION!!!

*grabs crazymama2two by the hand*.......off to a meeting we go TOGETHER, cause 5 drinks????? Yea ok... hey does it say what size???
  • kingurgio
    kingurgio Posts: 8
    Options
    Those who do not believe that five drinks is a binge, need a reality check!
  • adougherty10
    Options
    Wow, I think maybe I'm an alcoholic. Here is the dilemma then: stop drinking the wine & lose the weight or go COMPLETELY INSANE......hmmmm... :drinker:
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I decided to quit drinking completely and it really seemed to help me see more consistant weight loss.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    1. Alcohol is not a carbohydrate. Never broken down to sugar.
    2. When alcohol is in your system it get's burnt first. Before carbs, before fat.
    3. Not fat/weight loss loss friendly.

Ignore the definition of alcohol binge, abuse, etc.. Addiction is clearly defined. Compulsive use that causes harm(not only yourself, but others too). That definition applies to everything!

You often see alcoholics drop weight super fast, even those using no carb mixes. Providing they are not malnutritioned. You do need to watch side affects of quitting the heavier side of drinking.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Those who do not believe that five drinks is a binge, need a reality check!

:eyeblink:

Five drinks over the course of an evening isn't even above the rate of metabolization. ie-not even enough to intoxicate.