Needing help to not feel guilty on a rest day!

Options
today is only my second rest day in 20 days of working out again and I am scared I will loose my grove i am in. Before when I have tried to loose weight and was working out and had gotten really good I let myself make excuses for not working out. Depression had a lot to do with it but I let myself get out of my workout habits and just lost it all and gained more weight. This time around I am not letting myself have any excuses but my body is telling me I need to rest today but I am feeling guilty for taking a rest day like I might not get back into it again tomorrow. Plus I ate to much today which makes me feel bad! Sorry for the novel but any advice or just encouragement will help!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The best workout plans include adequate rest.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You must take rest days for your body to recover. I know what you mean because I like to keep i ticking over, but if you are working hard at the gym, then your body needs rest and muscles need time to repair. What I try and do is some walking each day bit not at the gym.

Guilt is a waste of time, guilty you are being effective by resting.
    Scared really doesnt stack up because you know what to do and are doing it.
    Cut yourself some slack, chill out and your body will thank you because you cna do a better workout.

You need to also consider the impact of exercise over a longer term. 20 conscutive days and 2 rest days sounds like you really do need the rest. Change your mindset.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I get that way too. After a great workout streak it's time for a rest day and I have to still keep motivation for the next day. I like to instead find a low key activity to do. Like go to dog park,botanical gardens, even shopping/browsing. The act of walking and being out in fresh air or public still gives some exercise and is refreshing, while not overly exerting. It's also mental prep. I tell myself that I really didn't take a day off, just toned it down. This my 20 day work out streak is technically 21 :)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons why people quit on their journey after a while is because they do things to intensely which makes it hard to sustain in a realistic way over a life time. rest days should be enjoyed, they have been earned and the physical and mental break allows you to keep motivated to go again tomorrow. Enjoy rest days.
  • ashliwatts1
    ashliwatts1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I get anxious about everything including not working out or overeating occasionally. By not taking a rest day you could keep yourself from getting results. On a rest day I like going for little walks or bike rides. I still feel active but i am giving my body the break that it needs. Make sure its light abd easy. Feel free to add me! We can work through our anxieties together!
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    One of the reasons why people quit on their journey after a while is because they do things to intensely which makes it hard to sustain in a realistic way over a life time. rest days should be enjoyed, they have been earned and the physical and mental break allows you to keep motivated to go again tomorrow. Enjoy rest days.

Couldn't have said it any better. I am thankful for rest days!
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling like this today as usually I go to the gym 5 days a week, but today I cannot hack it as I'm aching and exhausted. I guess I'm just going to have to let it go for one day and get back into my routine tomorrow :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If you feel sore than walking usually helps.
    I read somewhere that muscle development doesn't happen in the gym, it happens when you allow your body time to rest and recover afterwards, so rest days are all part of the process of getting fitter.
  • Chikika
    Chikika Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in this boat now, I've injured my leg from going at it too hard and too fast and now have to rest. Rest is important and we're all in it together! :) Enjoy the rest day! Go for a short walk, plan your meals for the rest of the week, just general things that will keep you on track. Good luck!
  • lwatson0
    lwatson0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Never ever feel guilty about taking a rest day! Your body needs it, and if you feel your body is telling you it needs a rest....listen to it!

And when you're resting, think about all that energy your storing up to fuel your next workout!
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You're not alone in this struggle! My hamstrings have been pretty tight from hitting it too hard and I'm trying to keep from doing damage but I hate resting when I have fat to burn! Friday i did a recovery workout and yoga for stretching. Yesterday i was still supposed to take it easy so i did a shorter work out and today i was supposed to be my rest all together but thought I should still stretch - after stretching I felt so good I went for it and worked out anyway. =\ maybe we need to make rest day not line up with diet cheat day to feel okay with it?!
  • 1hottwoman
    1hottwoman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I feel better after testing yesterday and reading everyone's comments! Back at it tonight and trying for no more guilt!!!!!