Arch Pain When Running?!

Options
I'm FINALLY starting to see an increase in my running, I realised I was running too fast so i've slowed my pace right down and now run an extra 2 minutes every day I work out. It's working too, but the last few times, I've been getting a pain in my arch, as soon as this happens, I tend to jump off and do something else as to not aggregate it any more. I've suffered with tendonitis a lot after many years of basketball so know first hand that if something hurts, you stop.

I was wondering if anyone had any advise, i've heard about those minimal bare foot shoe things? I'll do my own research as well but just wanted to hear from you guys who might have some first hand experience?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Did you get fitted for your running shoes?
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately not, theres no where local to me although I did speak with an advisor online. I have a pair of Asics, gel cumulous (I think).
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I can actually speak to this from personal experience. I had shin splints, knee, and hip pain from running. I switched to minimalist shoes, and all 3 of those were literally gone over night because you literally can't run with poor form in those things - it hurts too damn much! So, I was a total convert (and probably got a little too preachy for my own good ;)).

HOWEVER, I didn't do the transition from chunky heels to minimalist slowly enough, and I ended up with a lot of arch pain, which was probably stress fractures, but I never went to the doc (why bother when they just tell you to take 8 weeks off of running? ;)). So, I took a couple months off of running came back, and took it really slowly (1/2 mile for a week, 1 mile for a week, 1/5 miles for a week...whatever didn't hurt), and now I have zero pain anywhere due to running. I'm sure this will incite a whole bunch of trollers. People get really passionate about running shoes and technique!

I won't get on a soap box, but if what you're doing hurts, try something else.

It sounds to me like you have weak arches and are probably on your way to stress fractures. Odds are, you need to take a few weeks off of running (you can't just "run through the pain" on this one), and AFTER the pain subsides, you probably need to find shoes with lower arches or incorporate some barefoot workouts to strengthen them up. There's really no other way to get them strong aside from letting them do their job.

My two cents. I'm sure someone will pop on here and tell me that this advice is dangerous - do some research on barefoot TECHNIQUE and educate yourself. It's worth the time. Or just, read Born to Run - lots of great references, and the guy spins a hell of a story :). Good luck with your running!
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    Options
    Just the kind of information I was after, thank you. I will of course look into it all myself but its good to hear from other people at the same time!
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yeah - arch pain is really common in new new runners (not sure of your exercise background?) because the foot muscles have been babied most of their lives, and they were built to be abused (though gradually building up from infancy to adulthood).

Look at it this way: have you ever watched people at the gym trying to lift heavier weights than they really should? They squirm around and wrench their bodies into awful positions to lift the weight, and sometimes throw our their backs, tear a rotator cuff, etc. Same goes for your foot muscles. Your body is amazing, so if you have crappy running form, it will find a way to compensate to let you do it, but there's a limit to that compensation. If you keep it up, you get the running version of throwing out your back while weight lifting: you get stress fractures, plantar fasciitis, runners knee, etc.

Your arches are weak because they've been babied. An easy strengthening exercise is to just walk around your house barefoot, focusing on landing on the pad of your forefoot. You'll feel ridiculous, like you're prancing, but you will eventually figure out how to do it smoothly. This worked wonders for me. I started buying thin-soled shoes so I could do this more throughout the day, and I think it made a big difference in conjunction with short runs with this stride.

As an aside, one extremely easy way to find your running form is go at a dead sprint uphill for 10 seconds. You'll find that you can't sprint with poor form, particularly on an incline. Then try to mimic that gait on your normal runs. You'll have to do this when your feet are healed though. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to do this barefoot or in minimalist shoes. I've found I can do this in anything, but I do find it easier if there isn't a huge drop in height between the heel and the pad of the foot. Easier, but not required. You can't start something like this till your foot heals though because it will most definitely injure you further (again, personal experience).

Anyway, sorry for the novel. Again, good luck!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Try rolling a lacrosse ball or a spiky massage ball underneath your foot before and after you run. Heck, even hitting up a friend for a foot massage (focusing on the arch and behind the heel area) will probably do a world of good. And stretch your calves like Donkey Kong on shrooms.

In general arch pain is often an early indicator of plantar fasciitis (or irritation of the plantar fascia), and you don't want to mess around with that. Start stretching it out now.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Arch pain could suggest PF, or it might indicate that you are underpronating.

Minimalist shoes might help, they might make the problem worse. Difficult to tell.

Minimalist shoes do tend to polarise opinion, worthy of your average religious war to be honest. You'll find plenty uncritical support, equally you'll find plenty of hostility, with neither end of the spectrum actually giving you a balanced view.

You've got two approaches, either barefoot style or zero drop in a more structured shoe. The right answer does depend on what's causing your pain.

Personally for road running I use a support shoe, and for trail running I have a neutral, low drop shoe that's closer to minimalist, but it took a fair amount of effort to transition.

• BeckiCharlotte13x
    Options
    I know I run normally, I land and roll as you should. Ive had my running looked at, although not for the purpose of trainers. As for my exercise background, pretty non existent for the last few years, previously to that though, I played a lot of basketball, training three times a week and then a match once a week too. Currently, I go to the gym about 3 times a week and I attend a pole dancing group once a week too.

I definitely need to start stretching now! and will do as of tomorrow.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I land and roll as you should.

Heel striking?

In that case you'll find barefoot shoes very hard work.

• BeckiCharlotte13x
    Options
    I don't think so, I'm trying to remember what I was told. Umm, I land directly under my body and I'm light footed. And I THINK they said I strike on the midfoot.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    Options
    However, when I think about how I run, I feel like I probably land on my heels... Or not, it's hard to tell.