Women ages 50+ New to this and not losing. Help!

Options
Help! I've been doing Atkins/low carb since December 26 and have only lost 3.5lbs. That's very discouraging to me. I think I'm following all the guidelines and staying within the allowed carb count. I'm even exercising several times a week. I feel like giving up already especially when I see the great results of others. Why am I not dropping any lbs??

Replies

• msdianan65
    msdianan65 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help but instead I will say that you are not alone. Don't give up, my weight loss partner (male) is losing 4 pounds to my one. There must be something that we are missing because this seems to be working for so many people. I decided that I am going to start over on Monday, using the MFP calorie guide. I know that I have to watch my sugar (I go over all of the time) and eat more protein. Also I need to start exercising, apparently even a little goes a long way. I will be watching here to see what wisdom comes your way. Best of luck.
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did Atkins religiously for 2 yrs. During that time I lost weight and felt great. I just got tired of the limitations. Got on mfp and cut calories eating a greater variety of foods. Lost weight while eating things I was missing on Atkins. Give it a try!
  • thatguyalex
    Options
    There are number of things:

1 - Your metabolism naturally slows as you age...so it depends on who you are comparing yourself to...for example a 55 year old woman who is 5'5' and weighs 170 lbs burns 1584 calories a day existing (i.e. doing nothing)...a 20 year old woman (same height/weight) burns 1764...so weight loss gets harder as you age (i.e. why people tend to gain weight over time is that they don't change habits but their bodies simply require fewer calories and so you gain weight)

2 - Are you weighing your food / getting an accurate calorie count? This is huge...

3 - Are you weighing yourself weekly at the same time/wearing same clothes (or lack thereof)

4 - Are you eating foods high in salt that are making you retain water?

At the end of the day, I believe weight loss is a math equation...if you are putting in data correctly (i.e. calories) and are below that number on a weekly basis, the weight eventually has to come off...

• luannehaytx
    Options
    Ruskinbarb...I feel your pain! I too at 66 yrs old am stuck. Started MFP in Jan and lost 6 lbs in Jan. Power walking 40 mins- 5-6 days a week...lost 0 lbs in Feb and so far 0 lbs for Mar!

Am eating 1200+180 exersise cal a day. MFP says I should be down another 8 lbs.. even says not eating enuf. WTH!

KEEP TRYING!!!! Mar 16th, I am gonna keep exersising, double down on measuring my food intake, lower my fat intake and try to eat more leafy greens and veggies. As one dr told me...
    There were no fat people in Auswhich (sic)

Not my dr anymore! Good luck!
  • Ruskinbarb
    Ruskinbarb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've dropped a few more pounds, a total of 8.6. I've resigned to the fact that this is going to be a long and slow process and I'm working on a lifestyle change, not just a quick fix. Losing at a rate of 1/2 lb. per week is what I'm hoping for, anything more than that will be considered a bonus.

I'm following a low carb diet, keeping my carb intake around 30-40 grams/day and I know I'm in ketosis. My calorie intake is usually between 1300-1600. My body is burning fat at a slow and steady rate. I just need to breathe and trust the process.

There is so much support on MFP, thank goodness! I'd have given up long ago if I didn't have the support of my friends here. We're all on similar journeys but we cannot compare ourselves to others. Sometimes it's hard, I know. We just need to keep moving forward and we will be successful, I'm sure! Good luck, all!
  • Nouvelle_Sonia
    Nouvelle_Sonia Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 y. o. I've lost 15 pounds since January 25th. I log everything I eat on MFP, except when I go away on a week-end and there is no balance. I went over my 1200 calories/day a few time, but I still lost the weight. I encourage you to log everything and eat anything within the calories limit. :smile:
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am 51. In summer 2014 I was 194lb and obese. By January this year, I was 147lb. I have arthritis and a lot of other health problems, plus menapause looming and financial and other stress in my life. You honestly can do it - just think long term, not quick fix. I feel so much better now, am much more able to cope with all the challenges in my life, physical and mental.

I just counted calories, kept my protein up, and ditched white processed carbs which I loved. I ate plenty of complex carbs though. No question that it was far, far harder for me to lose weight at this stage of my life than ever before, but it is possible and worth it. Nobody loves food more than me, but I wanted my health more. Good luck, and do friend me if I can support you. :)
  • Ruskinbarb
    Options
    Yes, Nouvelle_Sonia! I've been doing a lot better at keeping my calories at my target of 1350! Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Ruskinbarb
    Options
    Opalsqueak007, wow, congrats on your success! Sounds like we're pretty much in the same boat. Thanks for your help!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to following your journey :) You look great in your photograph anyway.
  • Ruskinbarb
    Options
    Thanks, as do you!!
    Ruskinbarb wrote: »
    Yes, Nouvelle_Sonia! I've been doing a lot better at keeping my calories at my target of 1350! Thanks for the encouragement!