Run through the pain?

Options
Ok, so I've been working out for weeks now with not "pain"...soreness but not PAIN. Well, I started doing the C25K, the day before yesterday and since that workout my knees hurt. They hurt when I walk up/down stairs. I'm wondering if the impact is too much on my knees. Do you all think I should run through the pain or wait until I'm smaller?

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I would NOT run through any knee pain.
    I would, however, go to a running store and have my stride evaluated and get a great pair of shoes. Then I would start slowly... walking more to build up my supporting muscles to be able to support my running pain free.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When i do workouts with lots of lunges & squats , the next day I really feel it in my knees when im walking up & down the stairs. It makes me feel old, lol
    I know that it isn't bad pain, for me even tho it is uncomfortable.

But you really have to be careful! If it is an injury & you keep working it you could do serious damage! If you think it is an injury see a doc or physiotherapist or just take it easy for a few days & then try again....
  • ambahyo
    ambahyo Posts: 5
    Options
    I would also check out some knee braces.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you try to ignore it it will get worse, not better. I was in the same situation last year and it took getting smaller for me to have any real success with running.

Lunges, squats and wall sits are all good exercises that will build up the muscles that support your knee. Also make sure you're stretching a lot before and after runs, especially your hamstrings and quads.

Good luck! I second the running store suggestion as well.
  • exercisechic927
    exercisechic927 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would never run through pain. Running is the worst activity for your joints. If you can do different cardio exercises I would. In the end, running does a lot more harm than good to people.
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If it hurts... No. If it's uncomfortable... Try. I wouldn't kill myself and not be able to exercise the day after.
  • StacieRoth
    StacieRoth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My knees used to hurt after a workout also, as I got smaller the pain decreased. I would continue to workout, but do a less intensity, and build up to the harder stuff as you lose weight, the pressure on the knees can be intense. But for every pound you lose, it's 10 pounds of pressure off your knees.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    From my own personal experience -- do NOT run through pain! I ran through hip pain for months and ended up with a stress fracture in that hip (started as bursitis that likely would have gone away within a few weeks had I STOPPED running).

If your knees hurt - rest them. Trust me. I wish someone would have told me to STOP when I was hurting. I learned my lesson and when I hurt - I STOP.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I would never run through pain. Running is the worst activity for your joints. If you can do different cardio exercises I would. In the end, running does a lot more harm than good to people.

Running is actually good for your joints if you do it properly, as has been proven over and over and over again.

However, I do agree that no one shoud be running through actual PAIN, and especially not joint pain or bone pain. That's just setting yourself up for a serious injury. It's OK to run through muscles soreness or that feeling that your muscles have worked about as hard as they can. But not joint pain or bone pain.

OP should check with her doctor to be safe. And if OP has not been professionally fitted for running shoes, do that too. Some people can do some light running with 100 pounds to lose, but for many, that would cause to much stress to the joints and bones. So it may make sense to wait until you've lost a little more weight before doing regular running.
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    near do anything through pain..soreness...yes...pain...no

the question i have is where on your knees...this might seem odd but when i started running i suddenly had what i thought was knee pain, but the truth is it was my IT band....( iliotibial band ) which is a tissue that runs from your hip down your leg and the pain is very well felt in the knee area...wiki it, or try some of the recommended stretches and see if it helps

2 cents
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Look up the correct running technique online. If you are a heel striker you are putting your knees and hips at an increased risk of injury. Minor corrections and you will be good to go. Alternatively use good knee braces.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post a similar question. Bummer when I'm just getting back into running after many years off and my knee is really hurting. :angry:
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    You should also consider your running route.

Is it pavement, asphault, dirt, grass....? Do you run on a crowned street, or any other surface that is curved from one side to the other? These can both be factors in joint pain. See if there are any improvements you can make to where/how you run.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    STOP running... for now!!!
    Do some regular exercises and stretching first to strengthen yourself up before you go for it again
    check here for _excellent_ core management exercises: http://www.coreperformance.com/
    i'm still new to running myself, but so far this is the best advice I've found...
    being aware of your core and posture is absolutely crucial in preventing pain
  • ashley_jorah
    ashley_jorah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a similar running program and I'm a few years post-op from knee surgery.
    When my knee starts hurting after/during a running workout, i drop back down a couple weeks in the program (something with more walking & less running) and try to help my knee build up strength that way. If you're too close to the beginning of the schedule, reduce the number of times the run/walk cycle is repeated.

Make sure you have proper fitted shoes. (I highly recommend finding a running store that has someone to fit you) They really make a difference.

Strength training may help. But if the problem is just that your knees are having trouble with the impact or running, you may need to start on softer surfaces and work your way to harder ones (like concrete)
  • Elise1931
    Elise1931 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you to go to see your physician to realize what happened to your knees exactly. Mine started to hurt and sore terribly 2 weeks ago and were diagnosed with patellar subluxation according to X-ray examination. My doctor even warned me if I keep ignoring them there will be some atrophies.:sad:
  • ccrawshaw
    ccrawshaw Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. DO NOT RUN THROUGH the pain!! When I first started working out (really working out regularly and for an extended period of time) at the end of January, my knees bothered me as well. Mainly some soreness, not really pain. Since I started working out, I've actually lost less than 10 pounds (which, don't get me wrong, still contributed to the pain going away), but I've also been able to strengthen the muscles and ligaments surrounding my knees. This has helped immensely. I started running about 6 weeks into working out and now experience NO pain or even soreness at all. I say push yourself, but listen to your body. Pain isn't good, but you have to push a little bit further than you have before or you will not gain anything.

Good luck!
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Maybe your positioning was wrong. I wouldn't run through it. Just give the knees a day or to, to recover! I'm here for you:smile:
  • FitMomma0722
    FitMomma0722 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your HELPFUL responses. The pain doesn't occur during the workout...I feel it afterwards. As far as the surface...I'm running on a treadmill.

So, I guess I will see a doctor and stick to my incline trainer...which is walking on a high incline. I feel the burn but NO pain.

Will trying running again in about 10 lbs or so.

Again...THANKS for your responses.

NO running through pain...got it! :-)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Stop running.