What would an Deep water Aqua class be in the fitness journal?

Options
Hiya all,

I used to go to a aqua deep fitness class where you would do a moderate workout in the deep end of the pool and I plan on taking this up again. It was constant movement for a 45 minute class but there is no option for this in the exercise journal. So, how do I class this and work out the calories burned during this exercise?

Thanks.

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    When I took this type of class I just made my own entry in the exercise log and I used about 20% calorie burn from the easiest swim entry just to be on the safe side.

I really liked that class!
  • Xenetha
    Xenetha Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I'd forgotten I'd made this post :) I will see if I can make something up then, or I might discuss with the instructor what they think the calories burned might be in their class.

Any other ideas or solutions are welcome!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There is an entry for "water aerobics-water callisthenics". That is what I use for my aqua-gym class.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I should specify that I used a different entry for regular aqua classes that are much more cardio based. My deep water class had no cardio component and was strictly strength/isolation work. Strength training burns a lot less calories than cardio which is why I used only 20% of the easiest swim entry.
  • Xenetha
    Xenetha Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thinking about it, that is a good point considering some of the moves you do in the deep water.
    Even though I was getting my heart rate up it was a lot of resistance movement with floats and such. However, this was dispersed with "sprinting" and the like in between the sets of floats. I'm going to see about the class tomorrow when I go swimming and see what the instructors say anyway, they should hopefully have a better idea of it all.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi Xenetha,

I am also very interested in how much a deep water aqua class burns and how much different water classes in general burn! I know that there is an option for water jogging (which burns more than the strength training) in MFP. I also know that it makes quite a difference in calorie burn whether you are doing deep water or low water exercise (deep water burns more) and also depends on water temperature (the lower the more you burn).
    Also-does anybody have an idea which activity measuring device could estimate the burn (fitbits, heartrate monitor etc.)??