Martial Arts Fitness (((AND I DONT MEAN TAEBO!)))

Options
Does anyone know any good Martial Arts Fitness?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I do not understand the question. If you are looking for a generic fitness class that uses moves from martial arts, then something like tae bo, tae box etc is the answer. If you are asking which actual martial art to look into learning, that is personal preference, all are going to give you a good workout.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

What are your aims/goals?
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • mahoganybrowne
    mahoganybrowne Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

What are your aims/goals?

I really don't know. But I know, I don't want to do TaeBo because I have the DVD's already. I want to learn a good Martial Art. For self defense purposes.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    For self defense and fitness I would recommend either MMA or Krav Maga. If those aren't available, Sambo, Judo, Pancrase, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai are also very good styles. Check out several schools and watch to see which schools train the hardest and have the best students. Also remember that the practitioner is more important than the style.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have also seen gyms that taught wrestling and boxing which could be a good pair as well.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I second Krav Maga. I used to practice at a Martial Arts studio that offered kickboxing, krav maga, and every type of MA. Different classes on different days. There was a program where you pay for 33 sessions and you could mix match. Show up for Krav one day, TKD the next, and so forth. I found that I liked Krav and kickboxing the best and used the rest of my sessions on those. Many MA studios work like that -- at least in my area. I'd say go to a studio, talk with the instructors, have them work you into a couple of trial sessions so you can see what type of moves/sequences you like and then go from there.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you want it for pure self defence then martial arts that involve grappling like judo or jujitsu are your best option (most street fights go to the floor very quickly). If you want something for confidence and fitness then most marital arts will fit the bill if you have a good instructor. I used to to taekwondo which has a lot of kicking and punching- I had a great teacher and was very fit and confident after a few years of practice ( daily practice!)
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Any martial art will give you skills for self defense, and if you train daily any will help you get in shape. The style you choose is all about personal preference. Do you want to build speed and agility? Taekwondo is all about that. Do you want to learn moves that promote strength and precision? Judo or karate are excellent choices. Do some research, watch some YouTube videos of spars, and most importantly, go observe a dojo/dojang. A good school will let you watch a class before signing up to see if it's something you're interested in. Some schools use padding to spar. Some don't. You may be more comfortable with those that do. Or, like me, you may hate all that bulk around you and appreciate schools that teach and enforce control.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You'd have to look around at what is offered in your area, and decide where your comfort level is. Things like Jujitsu/MMA/Krav Maga are very hands on, close contact type classes. My kids and I belong to a gym that offers a cardio kickboxing class, its a great combo of learning the moves as well as getting a killer workout. Usually the teacher alternates one set of kicks/punches, and one set of situps/pushups/burpees etc.

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most martial arts aren't going to give you the skills you need for self-defense unless you study them for many years. A common misconception is that a few months in the dojo will give you mad ninja skills, and it doesn't work that way. If you want self-defense, buy a gun and learn how to use it.

Having said that, if you want to study martial arts for their own merits, I'd recommend Tae Kwon Do, Karate, or Ju Jitsu. All are good styles for general fitness and to help improve strength and flexibility. TKD is a bit more kicking-oriented than karate, while JJ is, as previously, primarily grappling and throws. Which style you choose is strictly personal preference. Pick the one that appeals to you for its type of movement versus self-defense capabilities.

Disclosure - I study Okinawan karate because its traditional style appeals to me. But I harbor no illusions about my ability to use it to defend myself. With luck, I might be able to get in a good punch or block, but the best defense is to avoid situations where you might be in danger, if at all possible. I have a concealed carry permit, and I use it.

Good luck, and I hope you decide to study martial arts. The benefits, physical and mental, are tremendous. Just be realistic about the practical uses.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Taekwondo has changed my life. Lots of kicking, punching, and coordination work. It's made me fitter and made me want to work hard to be fitter. I could never get into going to the gym for its own sake, but now I work out to help with my TKD training.
  • mahoganybrowne
    Options
    I love all of your answers... they are all great!
  • mahoganybrowne
    Options
    I will have more questions later...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For quickly learning some self defence, an art with an emphasis on a lot of practical sparring from the get go will be good.

MMA studios can give you a good mix of arts that can get you out of trouble: something for groundwork, some striking, kicking, locks, throws. And they have an heavy emphasis on getting in the ring and putting stuff to use.

Having said that, sometimes it's not a particular art. More the atmosphere/culture at a school, how good the teacher is and whether you enjoy it enough to keep showing up and getting better.

Best to try out a few free tasters here and there and see how things are. You may end up learning traditional family-style Tai Chi or something more exotic and weapons orientated like Indonesian Silat. Or something more nuts and bolts like good old fashioned boxing. Until you try a few, you won't know what you like.

Adherence trumps everything at the end of the day. People endlessly say that art X is better than art Y. But the person who gives a decent effort over a couple of years to Y will be far superior as a martial artist than the person who gave 3 lessons worth of effort to X. And all such comparisons are ultimately meaningless. Good martial artists and teachers are good because they are genuinely interested in getting better and put in the effort over a long enough period to make it so.

• Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I will have more questions later...

Situational awareness and a firearm are the best possible means of self defense. The latter depending greatly on where you live and what you are willing to do. It's worth noting that in the US it has been recorded that well over 90% of all armed self defense situations end with no shots fired and no one seriously injured. Most people when confronted with a firearm simply seek softer prey, I for one though a larger strong male would rather turn someone away without hurting them or my self rather than take the risk of almost certain mutual harm should I resort to brawling.
  • mahoganybrowne
    Options
    Thank you very much @Drewlssix‌
  • mahoganybrowne
    Options
    So what about some good stretches? I'm always doing the normal stretches before I workout... I'd like to do some martial arts stretches as well... any suggestions? Like... any basic martial arts stretches before I start?
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So what about some good stretches? I'm always doing the normal stretches before I workout... I'd like to do some martial arts stretches as well... any suggestions? Like... any basic martial arts stretches before I start?

I don't know that there are any specific MA stretches but my self, I don't typically stretch unless I'm feeling sore or stiff in a particular joint. I like a bit of a run or even a walk to loosen up and if needed I will do lighter variants of whatever movements im doing that day. I don't do yoga either but it seems like a good choice for improving your mobility before a strenuous exercise.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Yes.

My son does TKD, and I use some of his warm up stretches. How about going to or watching some classes in whatever styles are available in your area and choose a class that you feel suits you.