Need Words of Encouragement

Options
Hello, all.
I've been attempting to loose weight for the past 2 and a half years now with no luck. I can usually stay motivated for a couple of weeks, but then I just eat terrible again. I've just been slowly gaining more and more weight over the years.
I've reached a weight that I am very uncomfortable at, and I NEED to stay motivated to loose weight. Not a lot, but around 20-30 pounds. I'd like to think that I can do this, but I've failed a countless number of times, and I don't know what is going to make this time any different.
I see all of your success stories, and it gives me motivation, but I still don't know if I can do it.

I could really, really, REALLY use some encouraging and motivating words from you guys. I'd truly appreciate it.

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I hear you, and I know it’s hard to stay on track. I wish I had some sage advice, but everyone is different. What I find works best for me is getting into an exercise routine. I have a really hard time staying at a low calorie input consistently so I try to offset that by burning more calories. As long as you don’t burn the candle at both ends (too many calories in AND too few calories out), you should still get results if you are consistent.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, and keep at it: you can absolutely do it!
  • swimmer88888
    swimmer88888 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I get motivated for a couple weeks and then fall off the bandwagon. Can you find an eating strategy that you can commit to for 8 weeks? Like maybe you count calories 5 days a week, and take off 2 days. Any sustainable plan would work! Find something you can stick to for just 8 weeks and I promise you'll see a difference! I am going to try the same thing!
  • luv_kboxn
    luv_kboxn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I completely understand, just yesterday I felt like I was going to sabotage all the good work I've done so far but today I came up with a plan to stay on track. I put together my breakfast schedule for the week. One less thing I have to think about and make a last minute bad decision which can ruin the rest of my day. Stay with it!
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat so right now I'm being really strict for a month (no cheating!) and hoping that will create some habits I can stick with. Plus, I'm getting results, which is really motivating. I'm staying at or below my MFP calories every day and doing my damndest to exercise as often as possible. Just commit to it for a certain amount of time and then when you loosen up you won't be as inclined to ditch all that hard work. Good luck!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    -My motto was "one day, one pound at a time". Then I added "one step at a time" to it.
    - I pre plan/pre log my meals so I leave an excess for snacks that enable me to adjust my meals thru the day WITHOUT going over my calories.
    - Make small goals, don't look at the big picture...just try to get a few days going, the pounds will come off.
    - I didn't stop eating anything, just ate in moderation and pre planned what I really wanted & worked other meals in. No need for cheat days/meals (cheating got me morbidly obese to begin with)
    - I'm a couch potato so exercise did not happen till over a year in when I got my Fitbit (haven't stopped moving since..I walk and use the C25K running app).
    - You didn't put the weight on overnite, can't expect it to just fall off but keep your mindset where it needs to be...write what you bite, pre plan and keep a positive outlook.
    - Find a challenge here on MFP you can join. I've been part of the Ultimate Accountability Challenge, starts beginning of each month but perhaps you can find one that motivates you & you can find some friends to help you get thru this journey.
    - You CAN do it, if I can, anyone can :smile:
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You should join our 20 pounds by Easter group :D. Granted, it's almost Easter so that challenge ends April 6.... But the same day we will start another with July 4th as our next 20 lb. goal. Terrific, supportive, motivating and just plain nice group of people :D Best wishes on your journey
  • naomihaag
    naomihaag Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! Truly, I need all the support I can get. Thank you for the motivating words!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Cause and effect are important - why do you think you fall off the wagon?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    A lot of new dieters or people that cant manage to get it going have common problems. Young people in particular fall foul of having no patience and unrealistic expectations.

Teach yourself about weight loss, learn how other people are doing it and compare that with your own efforts. If you do the same as last time you are going to get the same result.

Its very importnat that you understand how weight loss works.
    That you make a decent plan that is easy to follow.
    You commit and take it seriously.
    You learn how to create a consistent deficit by eating less. Weigh your food.
    Its preferable that you do some regular exercise.

If you do this you will lose weight. No luck involved. Dont over complicate and dont overstress. Start with small targets that arent even food related and then introduce gradual changes. If you approach it properly you only need to do it the once .