desperate please help!!

Options
Hello my name is Marissa. I am 19and a young mom my daughter is going on 3yrs old and I still cannot shed the weight I'm 100 lbs over weight and need some serious advice on how others handled this. I'm at a point where I just feel disgusting. everyday is to depressing I've tried exercise but cannot diet when I start I get off track within a week or two. Has anyone had this problem ? How can I make it a habit? I use to run every morning before my daughter was born I was really fit and I would like to go back to that but being this heavy I can't just jump in and need some help on a jump start

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You make it work by using MFP to set a reasonable calorie deficit that you can live with. You don't say, but I'm guessing that your previous attempts to "diet" have consisted of making huge cuts and probably eliminating all your favorite food. You don't have to do that. Start by keeping an accurate and consistent log, weigh everything. Stay in your calorie goal and avoid hunger by loading up on lots of veggies to go along with careful portions of your favorite foods. Exercise is secondary and more related to fitness and health than weight loss, but do walk. Walk and walk and walk.
  • dragon_sla
    dragon_sla Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Marissa. Set realistic goals and start walking or something that gets you moving. Since it is getting warmer take her to the park and play with her. Take small steps and be happy when you meet a goal. Get some friends to help keep you motivated. Feel free to add me if you would like. A support group works. Look for the small changes. This won't happen over night. Think about getting something that measures your steps. I have a fitbit and my goal is 10,000 steps a day. I have already hit my goal by walking steps to my basement. Biggest thing don't get discouraged!! You can do it!! Good-luck
  • Marissanikc
    Marissanikc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding so quickly !! I will definitely try the 10 push ups in the morning!!! I already feel motivated!!! As for my diet i love vegatables fruits and chicken my problem is over eating. I feel like my stomach is a black hole and don't seem to ever feel full. Can anyone tell me about fiber? I feel so clue less. Fiber will keep me full?? And help with weight loss? Or is this inaccurate. Any tips on meals I could make to fill full without over eating?
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You have received great advice from SherryTeach and gummyy_bear_ninja:). A healthy diet is the best diet. On your plate make sure 1/4 is lean protein, 1/4 complex carb and 1/2 of your plate pcked with green leaf veggies. I agree that walking is s great excercise. Of course, you can go to the gym too. I love going to the gym. But I started out right at home. Be consistent in your diet and exercise. Make reachable weekly goals. First week just do your walking and eat right. Then do the same next week, only add 10 more minutes of walking...and each week do this!! You will see a big change in your body!!! So when are you going to start? You can do this without a doubt. You have to commit yourself for yourself!!
  • yhealthy2000
    Options
    For fiber... You are eating fruit and veggies!! They are great source of fiber. Kidney beans are great too. Add nuts to your diet as well...they make you feel full and you will not feel hungry fast. What calorie amount do you eat in a day?
  • Marissanikc
    Options
    You have received great advice from SherryTeach and gummyy_bear_ninja:). A healthy diet is the best diet. On your plate make sure 1/4 is lean protein, 1/4 complex carb and 1/2 of your plate pcked with green leaf veggies. I agree that walking is s great excercise. Of course, you can go to the gym too. I love going to the gym. But I started out right at home. Be consistent in your diet and exercise. Make reachable weekly goals. First week just do your walking and eat right. Then do the same next week, only add 10 more minutes of walking...and each week do this!! You will see a big change in your body!!! So when are you going to start? You can do this without a doubt. You have to commit yourself for yourself!!

I will be starting in the morning. 3/16. Yes I would like to start at home and work my way to a gym. I feel so uncomfortable at gyms but would love to use the equipment. I do have a treadmill and weights at home though. The hard part about the exercise is although I am over weight I am not completely out of shape I can run for maybe 3minutes. And do 10 push ups. I am looking for a at home workout that is between beginner nd experienced. I have not found one yet and maybe that is why I have failed in the past. But with the help of mfp I hope to find my way.
  • Marissanikc
    Options
    Well on this app it says I will need 1460 calories. On a daily basis with my horrible eating habit I eat well over that. Will definitely stop to pick up some nuts after work. Thank you so much I did not know fruits and veggies had fiber! Is yogurt good for dieting? I am on a tight schedule Mon-Fri and need fast breakfast and dinners
  • yhealthy2000
    Options
    Marissa,
    Read this guys blog, ontheregimen.com...he wrote a great simple article on macros. His article is titled: HOW TO COUNT YOUR MACROS (A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE).
    Btw, yogurt is great. You need to make sure you eat good food. Dump junk food!! If you must eat junk food, then manage eating them. Like eat fried food once a week and one meal only. Or, if you must eat chips, eat only 1 serving and eat with a sandwich with lots of green in it & good lean protein. I am only suggesting.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Marissa, read the stickies at the top of each forum, especially "Sexypants" in the Getting Started forum and "Calorie Counting 101" and "Logging Accuracy" in General Diet & Weightloss.

It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you hit your calorie goal. It is up to you to figure out what foods will work for you - different foods work for different people.

If you are having trouble staying under your calorie goal, start off with a goal of losing half a pound per week, it will give you more calories. Once you get comfortable with that, you can move to 1 pound per week, etc.

And no matter what, be kind to yourself and be patient! Everyone has bad days, no one is perfect.

Good luck :drinker:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Hey there! We're kinda close in age (I'm 17) so maybe my ideas will suit you a little better? Idk haha.. Basically I put all the food I eat on here and pay attention to the nutrition diagram the app supplies. It tells me what I need more of and less of. Next, try getting out and just walking. Not running. Build your endurance slowly. Once you have a nice pace going, head to the gym and use the *machines* not weights. The machines are better for beginners. That will help you not shed but transform the extra fat into muscle. You can do different exercises to get lean or bulky muscle. I assume you'd want lean based on your age. Either way, google work "lean muscle building work out routines" or "bulky muscle" instead and find one you can follow. Remember if it burns, its working so don't stop because of burning. Do stop if you're going to throw up, pass out, or have injured yourself! A safe work out makes a healthy body. I also recommend the first thing you do in the morning is 10 push ups. Then go eat break fast. This will boost your metabolism! I hope I helped a little!! (:

I'm sorry, but there is so much BAD advice in this post I had to stop and comment. (Being 17 she shouldn't even be on this site, as it's for adults only) I'm sure the poor girl had good intentions, but please do not listen to her, especially what she says about using machines, not weights. Beginners can absolutely use weights! I started out as a beginner once, we all did. :)

Free weights are almost ALWAYS preferable to machines, and this is because free weights engage more stabilizer muscles, and not just an isolated muscle. You just have to make sure you are doing the lift correctly, and there are tons of websites and Youtube tutorials to teach you good form. I recommend www.exrx.net, they have a great searchable database with handy little gifs of lifts with step-by-step instructions.

If you want to run, then run. You don't have to start with walking, unless you really feel you need to.

You cannot "transform extra fat into muscle". A fat cell is and always will be a fat cell, and a muscle cell is and will always be a muscle cell. You can shrink the fat cells, and build more muscle cells, but one does not ever change into the other. This is weight loss and fitness, not alchemy.

Furthermore, there are no exercises to get "lean" or bulky" muscles. A muscle is a just a muscle, and it can be big or small. You get "bulky" by eating at a surplus and lifting really really heavy several times a week. You cannot EVER get "bulky" by accident. Those hugely ripped, oiled bodybuilder women? Yeah, they TRY to look like that, it takes YEARS of hard training, discipline and focused dieting, and it can't ever happen by accident, so no worries if that's not your goal, OP. If you eat at a calorie deficit and lift weights, you will get lean and strong, not bulky, regardless of the "types" of workouts you do.

If you want to do 10 pushups, great. But don't think they will magically make you drop weight. That happens through a long term, sustained calorie deficit. Do whatever exercises you want to do.

And the timing of eating breakfast, no matter before or after your workout, has no effect on your metabolism, so disregard that as well. Meal timing has been repeatedly proven to have no real effect on the boosting of metabolism.

Eat less, move more, stay consistent. That's all. It's not always easy, but the formula is simple, and it works! Good luck!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're really desperate, read this list. It's a blunt but honest description of what it takes to be in control of your weight loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10097870/the-really-blunt-list-of-things-to-consider-when-losing-weight/p1
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    @yhealthy2000 ontheregimen.com

@AllOutof_Bubblegum www.exrx.net

Thanks for the helpful links Ladies!