Looking for ways to gain weight (85lbs wanting to be (115+) advice needed

Options
i am all new to this. I have always been thin and had an extremely hard time gaining and keeping on any weight. I have never weighted over 100lbs. Went through some challenges at at 22, 5ft3in I know weigh in at 83lbs. I would like to get up to 115-125lbs any advice from anyone? Anything I should add to my diet to help with it? So protein bars help? Like I said I'm new to this so bear with me. Thank you all in advance :)!

Replies

• jabx1962
    jabx1962 Posts: 31 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eat a pint of Butter Pecan Ice Cream, and drink a 16oz. Dr, Pepper every night, and you will gain 20 lbs. a month.
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Adding calorie-dense foods into your diet is what it will take. Avocado, nut butters, full-fat dairy products, oils, etc. whenever/wherever you can. If you are low on calories, get yourself some Ensure or Boost meal supplements (8 ounces of Ensure Plus has 350 calories and can be chugged quickly and effortlessly). If you like protein bars, by all means eat them, but you can eat anything and as long as you are in a calorie surplus you will be able to gain. Of course addressing the primary factor in your weight loss is the first necessary step, so make sure you have adequate support. Gaining 25+ pounds is going to require some effort, but you can do it!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I would highly highly recommend speaking to your dr. Especially if there are underlying issues that brought u down to such a low weight.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I would highly highly recommend speaking to your dr. Especially if there are underlying issues that brought u down to such a low weight.

+1
  • JiveDoc
    Options
    +3484732
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to your doctor about what your calorie intake should be. Looks like median healthy weight for somebody your height is roughly 100-130 lbs (depends on your lean mass obviously).

If you don't want to take the med professional route, or really don't have the money/insurance to do the nutrition counseling, here is the random internet advice:

I would set a calorie goal based on getting to 100 lbs as a first goal, and making sure to incorporate strength training (and not a whole lot of cardio right now, maybe just a 5-6 minute warmup prior to lifitng) to make sure that a majority of the mass you add is useful muscle. Using Scooby's calculator, somebody your age/height, at a weight of 100lbs has maintenance of roughly 1700 per day.

How to approach: I would find out what your caloric intake is now by logging for a few days, and ramp up your cals over a month or two from what you were eating to this new maintenance level. If you are eating at anything below 1500 calories, I would immediately start your intake to at least 1500 calories, since your BMR + allotment for light activity level for your current weight is ~ 1500 calories. This is the base amount your body needs to function normally and do normal daily activities. If you have been eating less than this for an extended period, its very possible you have actually slowed your metabolism down. It will bounce back after you start to eat normally and exercise regularly, you will notice a change in energy once it does. But it might take some time to recover.

Once you have been eating at maintenance level for a week or two, and logged weight changes, you could tack on 100 calories to your daily goal every 2-3 weeks until you notice the weight start to creep up. You will want to be strength training during all this, which will allow you to tack on useful muscle mass as you gain weight. I will note that at your extremely low weight, it won't hurt to add both fat and muscle overall, at least until you get into the healthy weight bracket, but I know some women hear the word "fat" and they immediately freak.

After you hit a healthy weight range, you could possibly tweak your eating/training plan based on where you want to go from there.

Please note, that in any case where I am noting as a calorie level, that is a net calorie level. I am assuming you eat back all your exercise cals so that you arrive at the same net each day.

Hope this helps. Add me if you want some support!
  • ashleyflowers93
    Options

I have. Numerous times throughout my life and not one I have been to has had an answer, so I'm not sure I have an underlying issue. I have been much smaller then many people my entire life, even as a child. My mother is the same way, after her 2nd child she was only 115lbs? And to this day she doesn't get over 130lbs? So I don't think this is a huge health issue, but thanks for the advice.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Basically, what Brolympus said. I would start trying to net around 1800, though, for starters. How long have you been logging? About how many calories a day do you eat normally?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have. Numerous times throughout my life and not one I have been to has had an answer, so I'm not sure I have an underlying issue. I have been much smaller then many people my entire life, even as a child. My mother is the same way, after her 2nd child she was only 115lbs? And to this day she doesn't get over 130lbs? So I don't think this is a huge health issue, but thanks for the advice.

Here is a damn good answer right here.
    \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
    Brolympus wrote: »
    I would definitely talk to your doctor about what your calorie intake should be. Looks like median healthy weight for somebody your height is roughly 100-130 lbs (depends on your lean mass obviously).

If you don't want to take the med professional route, or really don't have the money/insurance to do the nutrition counseling, here is the random internet advice:

I would set a calorie goal based on getting to 100 lbs as a first goal, and making sure to incorporate strength training (and not a whole lot of cardio right now, maybe just a 5-6 minute warmup prior to lifitng) to make sure that a majority of the mass you add is useful muscle. Using Scooby's calculator, somebody your age/height, at a weight of 100lbs has maintenance of roughly 1700 per day.

How to approach: I would find out what your caloric intake is now by logging for a few days, and ramp up your cals over a month or two from what you were eating to this new maintenance level. If you are eating at anything below 1500 calories, I would immediately start your intake to at least 1500 calories, since your BMR + allotment for light activity level for your current weight is ~ 1500 calories. This is the base amount your body needs to function normally and do normal daily activities. If you have been eating less than this for an extended period, its very possible you have actually slowed your metabolism down. It will bounce back after you start to eat normally and exercise regularly, you will notice a change in energy once it does. But it might take some time to recover.

Once you have been eating at maintenance level for a week or two, and logged weight changes, you could tack on 100 calories to your daily goal every 2-3 weeks until you notice the weight start to creep up. You will want to be strength training during all this, which will allow you to tack on useful muscle mass as you gain weight. I will note that at your extremely low weight, it won't hurt to add both fat and muscle overall, at least until you get into the healthy weight bracket, but I know some women hear the word "fat" and they immediately freak.

After you hit a healthy weight range, you could possibly tweak your eating/training plan based on where you want to go from there.

Please note, that in any case where I am noting as a calorie level, that is a net calorie level. I am assuming you eat back all your exercise cals so that you arrive at the same net each day.

Hope this helps. Add me if you want some support!

figure out maintenance- then start adding 100 calories on ever 2-3 weeks.
    Make one change at a time- then wait and see what happens.
    If you gain- great.
    No gains- +100-150 calories.

make friends with the bagels, pizza, beer and ice cream.
  • ashleyflowers93
    Options
    Basically, what Brolympus said. I would start trying to net around 1800, though, for starters. How long have you been logging? About how many calories a day do you eat normally?

Daily I eat around 1300-1500 a day? And only a few days now.
  • raquel11690
    Options
    I'm the same way. I'm 5'5" 100 lbs. the most I've weighed was 115. I am trying to get back to that. If I just eat and don't work out, it doesn't matter what or how much I eat, I don't gain. To get to 115 before, I worked out twice a day and had a protein bar and a protein shake with every workout. I did spinning, and weight lifting. If you want to just be lean not bulky, do low weight, high reps. I also had 4 healthy meals a day and snacks in between. Trying to get back to that but it's hard when you are a stay at home mom with a hyper toddler lol.

If that fails, try birth control if you aren't on It already lol. It makes some people gain weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I

If that fails, try birth control if you aren't on It already lol. It makes some people gain weight.
    Not%20sure%20if%20Serious-%20or%20sarcasm_zps3otpjacr.jpg
  • adiposeassassin
    adiposeassassin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I'm 5'5" 100 lbs. the most I've weighed was 115. I am trying to get back to that. If I just eat and don't work out, it doesn't matter what or how much I eat, I don't gain. To get to 115 before, I worked out twice a day and had a protein bar and a protein shake with every workout. I did spinning, and weight lifting. If you want to just be lean not bulky, do low weight, high reps. I also had 4 healthy meals a day and snacks in between. Trying to get back to that but it's hard when you are a stay at home mom with a hyper toddler lol.

If that fails, try birth control if you aren't on It already lol. It makes some people gain weight.gain

Lift HEAVY and EAT. don't be scared.
  • JiveDoc
    Options
    Birth control pills will not make you gain weight. They are weight-neutral. However, if you are not menstruating, it might be something to consider to go on them for the estrogen-protecting effects for your bones.
  • susanarosass
    Options
    I am the same way. I have changed my eating habits so much but nothing worked until I heard of Apetamin. I went from 88 lbs to 100 in 2 months! This was in August and I stopped taking it and I have mantained at 100 but I just ordered it again because I want to be at 110 You should look into the product if nothing else helps. It's safe I asked my doctor about it. If you end up getting it feel free to message me and ask me how it works and it's effects. It took me 3 months of reading and watching reviews to finally order mine but I have no regrets. Good luck :)
  • amycholloway81
    amycholloway81 Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi! Fellow light weight here .. 5'1 87 lb currently ... I've been to a doctor about weight issues and they don't seem to think it's an issue. Everything looks good with labs and no issues with thyroid. I know I am able to gain weight because I have a 17 month old son and went up to 127 while pregnant but was at 99 lbs when leaving the hospital after delivery. I have gained 2 pounds recently and have added more beans, avacado, bananas, peanut butter and shakes to my diet. I just purchased the protein powder called "plant fusion " bc I am a vegetarian and it doesn't contain any animal by products .. U should give it a try! Also, I am going to start lifting heavy and no cardio besides fun activities . Good luck!
  • LetrellC
    LetrellC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello Ashley (and all)....

I have been battling trying to gain weight for a few years now. I had the RNY Gastric Bypass surgery and lost 218lbs. When I got down to about 130, I was thrilled...but the weight kept dropping. I couldn't stop it. I was down to 102. I am 5'2". Way too thin. I understand how you feel, and you too, Amy. It's hard.

I spent almost 2 weeks in the hospital the beginning of 2015. It has been known for some time that I don't absorb vitamins well. Hardly at all, in fact. I stayed there until I was fixed. I had so many IV drips, it was not fun. But when I walked out, I weighed in at 128lbs. I knew some of it wasn't true weight, I was retaining fluid. But here I am, almost 3 months later, weighing in on average, 125/daily.

I cringe when I hear people say add certain foods. My sugar consumption was dropped to 40g/daily and I was told to start eating fats. I was avoiding fats, eating sugars, thinking I would gain weight. Nope. Other way around. Someone suggested Ensure. Although it sounds good, I am forbidden to use it. High in sugar.

Talk to a nutritionist. Not a dietician. A nutritionist. She set all of my goals on MFP and I'll be danged if by just following the low sugar/high fat (tons of protein), I'm doing great. I feel so much better.

Whatever you are doing, I certainly feel for you and pray with all my heart you are able to figure out your body. So complicated.

Ya know, another thing I do is no fast food. It is very rare that I have fast food. Had my first burger in months yesterday. I did it on purpose because I was traveling, not eating, and I needed everything (even the garbage) in that burger (and it tasted sooooo good. :smiley: )

I hope to read on here that you are able to gain. Wishing you well.