Help! My nails are peeling!?

Options
So my nails are always thin but they can usually grow to a decent length. Lately, the last week or so, they have been ripping and peeling. It's like the top layer of the nail separates at the tips.Every single nail is doing this. I'm wondering if it could be because of dieting or maybe I just need some vitamins, but I'm not usually a vitamin taker and this has never happened... My BMR is 1500 but I've been eating 1200-1300 lately. I was sick last week and averaged 1100 for a few days. Could I be eating too little? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks :)

Replies

• xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    try getting more protein. if your diet is lacking protein your hair and nails will feel the effects
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem my entire life. My hair is healthy but my nails SUCK! It doesn't matter how much protein I get, I take vitamins, and they were even bad when I was pregnant and on prenatal vitamins. I wish I knew what to tell you, but I'd like to have the answer to this too!
  • rmirvine99
    rmirvine99 Posts: 6
    Options
    my nails are doing the exact same thing and I have no idea why...I always go over on protein by at least double...I've lowered my sodium intake but that is about all ...
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be to check your protein intake, if it's too low, it could affect your nail strength.

Also, when you cut calories, there is a good chance you are missing some vitamins that you used to get, too. Peeling nails could be an indicator of some nutritional deficiency. You can get a decent multivitamin from the grocery store (I use the store-brand generic of a once daily women's vitamin, and my Dr approved it to use in place of prenatals, so I'm guessing that means it's pretty good). They aren't super pricey, and making sure that you have enough vitamins and essential minerals in your system will help you avoid cravings and keep you going strong in your exercise regime. It's a fairly easy thing to add to your routine that can make a big difference.
  • pebbles72
    pebbles72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when my Iron levels are low. Its a real pain :ohwell:
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm bad at picking my nails. I do believe I am the cause of why my nails do that, but I use a clear coat when I don't paint them. Have you tried that yet?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem my entire life. My hair is healthy but my nails SUCK! It doesn't matter how much protein I get, I take vitamins, and they were even bad when I was pregnant and on prenatal vitamins. I wish I knew what to tell you, but I'd like to have the answer to this too!

A good deal of it is genetics. Some people have strong nails, some don't, and there's not a ton that can be done about it. It's the sudden change that could be a heads-up to something going on :)
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    Drink more milk or take a calcium pill. Oh & lots o Water!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You have some things to sort out. From protein, to environmental, and what you do to your nails. As a guy that does nothing to his nails, I wish someone would make clippers that can actually give me a clean cut.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    lol ... first of all I love your 3 year old's quote in your profile! =)

I've heard protein, and making sure you take your vitamins (or making sure your diet is balanced) but I've been blessed with strong nails and I certainly haven't been good with my nutrition for many of my years!!! So I guess I can't help but am curious to see what others say ...
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Totally non food related but I would try a strengthening top coat.
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    Mine do this every time the weather changes. But the protein thing also rings a bell, I'm always barely scraping by as per it. [:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The only time I have this problem is when I'm really stressed. It happened with family problems a few months before I moved out and then they just got healthy again after leaving a stressful job.