Fear of Gaining with 30 Day Shred...

Options
Hey Guys,
So I have a huge goal on my hands- to lose 10lbs by 6/10/11. I have the 30DS and I am terrified to use it because I heard that it can make you gain muscle weight… any thoughts?

I know its about weight and inches and I need to lose both bad but any thoughts on using the 30DS? I was considering doing the elliptical to help with weight loss too… any thoughts??

Thanks everyone
~Michelle

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,
    So I have a huge goal on my hands- to lose 10lbs by 6/10/11. I have the 30DS and I am terrified to use it because I heard that it can make you gain muscle weight… any thoughts?

I know its about weight and inches and I need to lose both bad but any thoughts on using the 30DS? I was considering doing the elliptical to help with weight loss too… any thoughts??

Thanks everyone
    ~Michelle

It's nearly impossible to gain muscle while on a calorie deficit, so don't worry about working out. If you keep within your calorie goals, you will be fine.

It's possibe to temporarily gain a few pounds of water weight when first starting a workout program, but that's all.
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    i've never completed 30DS =/. but i have started it many times. and everytime i get about halfway through and i've never lost less than 5 pounds. so i think you can definitely lose weight. plus gaining muscles helps burn fat. you should do it!! losing anything is worth it!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you do even gain muscle it won't be as noticeable as the the loss in fat that you will lose by doing the 30DS. From what I've heard only positive things have come from the 30DS, the only problems I heard with it is that people don't feel they have worked out enough with it because it's only 20min a day if you follow it. You don't bun a lot of calories in that 20min either. Gaining muscle is nothing you need to worry about :)
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    Judging by your goal amount (total) of weightloss I think the shred is definitely a good choice. I think most of the people who complain about the gain are already close to their goal and getting frustrated that the scale keeps inching up even though their clothes are falling off them. Building that muscle will help a lot and with a deficit you should see the loss. Since you have such a big goal for a short amount of time I would recommend tossing the scale out the window for the next month. It's only going to FRUSTRATE THE PANTS OFF OF YOU to see yourself fluctuate- which is natural. Weigh in a couple days before the 10th and then on the 10th again to give you an idea of what range you're in. Don't get stuck on the number. Also measure yourself if possible to make yourself feel better.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I've used it. I've definitely gained muscle. All while continuing to lose weight. There is some cardio in it as well as strength training. Try it every other day at first and do cardio on the other days. More muscle raises your metabolism and that's always good!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Why would you be afraid of gaining muscle? This is a very, very GOOD thing. Muscle is way more dense than fat (meaning a pound of muscle takes up ALOT less volume than a pound of fat) AND it 1 pound of muscle burns WAY, WAY more calories just sitting there than one pound of fat.

Muscles make you sexy!

Ok, I'll hop off my soap box now...

30 DS is a good choice for a workout video if.... you like it. Do something that makes you feel happy and feel great!
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 20 of 30 Day Shred and if I gained any weight it was withing the first few days of doing it...but I have lost that and more. Good luck!
  • healthekate
    healthekate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I lost 8.5 pounds during April while doing 30DS along with limiting calories, doing other exercise videos, and jogging/walking lots. You will be fine! 30DS tones and burns calories; it's not really weight lifting.
  • southernbelle39
    Options
    I started 30DS and didn't finish but I did gain like 2 lbs in the beginning but lost 3 to 4 inches in just 5 days of use.