Has anyone done the Dukan Diet?

Options
So the Dukan diet is basically a high protein, low carb diet that basically makes you eat only protein for the first week along with oat bran and water and continues into 4 different phases adding more and more foods you are able to eat. It sounds interesting because it is supposed to lead you into a healthy lifestyle along with exercise. Any idea if this works?

Replies

• abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as well. We were talking about this at work on Friday - a coworker had seen a clip about it on the Dr. Oz show.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My cousin and her husband have tried it and they LOVE it. She lost like 14 pounds within the first 3 weeks. :)
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about that and the 17 day diet.
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • 1sthrngrl
    1sthrngrl Posts: 4
    Options
    I read the book and I know of 3 people who has tried it and successfully lost their goal weight and has kept it off for over 3 years. So today is my official start date with the Dukan Diet... I heard you never go hungry, and I honestly feel that is why I have failed in the past because I got hungry and started to eat anything and everything. So I'll keep you updated on my progress along the way.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I pulled this off webmd.com

You'll certainly lose weight on The Dukan Diet because it cuts calories drastically. The lack of carbs also helps keep hunger at bay. But the bottom line, experts say, is that this eating plan does not include all the nutrients you need for good health.

"A once-daily multivitamin will not compensate for the nutritional goodness from fruits, whole grains and healthy fats that are inadequate in The Dukan Diet," says Keri Gans, MS, RD, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

She points out the health hazards of restrictive dieting. “When dieters start losing weight rapidly, I worry they will continue the restrictive phases longer than advised -- which puts them at risk for nutrient deficiencies and kidney problems," says Gans.

Losing more than 1-2 pounds per week can promote gallstones and muscle loss, she says: "It is unhealthy to lose weight so quickly because you not only lose fat and fluids but precious muscle mass, which is really hard to replace, especially as you get older."

Constipation, bad breath, dry mouth, and fatigue should be a red flag that this is not a healthy diet, she says.

"Your body’s preferred fuel to energize and keep you going is smart carbs, and when you eat a healthy diet you should feel great -- not have negative side effects," Gans says.

The Dukan Diet: Food for Thought
    There is no question this very restrictive diet will lead to weight loss, if you can actually follow it. But the elimination of healthy food groups, and the unpleasant side effects, makes The Dukan Diet an unlikely choice for the long haul.

Protein is an essential part of a healthy diet, but it cannot stand alone. A truly healthy diet includes all the food groups -- vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and low-fat dairy and healthy fats along with lean protein. Your body needs the nutrients these foods provide.

Skip this fad diet. Instead, choose a calorie-controlled eating plan that you can stick with for the long term.
  • aim2lose
    aim2lose Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading the Dukan Diet. I did take the quiz on the web site for optimal weight goal and was it higher than all the charts. It takes into consideration bone structure, age, having children. I like the phases; the first being the most restrictive but for me it states to only be on this phase of the diet 3 days, which is reasonable. Kind of like a jump start. I am not currently following this diet as I do eat carbs, but healthier ones; and my goal is to stay under 100 per day (not as easy as you might think). The next phase it states I should be on for 47 days but there are many free foods that include proteins(meats) and vegetables. I think it is worth the read.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    When I first read this topic line, I immediately thought of a recent comment I heard. Just for fun LOL

"I'm proposing that in the future a "dunkin" -- that is, the distance between Dunkin Donuts franchises -- will be a unit of measure (approx. 4/10 mi.). For example, "I live two dunkins from work." or "I had to walk a dunkin in the rain."
  • Moonchild88
    Options
    In order to follow the Dukan Diet, you need access to a Dukan Diet Book! That will explain everything about the diet and results this diet has to offer!
    I have tried every diet in the world and lost more than 1000 lbs in my life...so far.
    I was doing Michael Thurmond 6 week body makeover which is a great program! Many have lost over 100lbs and even ladies on there who have lost 300+ lbs in 2 yrs!!

I was getting tired of on again then off again and needed something new. This time to get to my goal and stay for as long as I can! I last lost 182 lbs by eating what I want at lunch every day. Kept it off 2 years then got complacent and thought I could eat the junk sugar, flour, and treats!! NOT

I have been on the Dukan for this is the 4th day, and am very happy with the way this is working!
    If I only had 20lbs to lose, I would still do the Attack Phase for 7 days and then go to the cruise phase.
    Stay there for the year and then on to consolidation phase!

Even Dr. Oz says it is less dangerous to do this diet, and lifestyle change than it is to be obese!!!

I had quit smoking 3 yrs ago after 32 + years of the habit. Nearly went insane the first 9 months then mellowed out. Gained about 50lbs then lost it. Then hurt my hip and gained it back from no exercise. Had the hip replacement surgery Jan 10 this year and had to learn to walk again! Now, gonna get off the lbs and LIVE life!!

Hope you all will do well with your plan Too!!

Helen in Custer, Washington
  • amercado3101
    Options
    I think I will try it! Let me know how you are doing!
  • CrimsonWife
    CrimsonWife Posts: 56
    Options
    You'll certainly lose weight on The Dukan Diet because it cuts calories drastically.

My "pure protein" days aren't that much lower in calories than what I was eating on Sonoma, and my "protein + veggie" days are similar in calories.
    The lack of carbs also helps keep hunger at bay.

Between the oat bran and all the veggies, I'm not even eating particularly low carb. I'm averaging between 110-130 grams per day. However, they are healthy carbs that do not cause blood sugar swings and that does keep me from feeling hungry.
    "A once-daily multivitamin will not compensate for the nutritional goodness from fruits, whole grains and healthy fats that are inadequate in The Dukan Diet," says Keri Gans, MS, RD, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

Veggies are as least as nutritious (if not more so) than fruit. And I'm taking fish oil and flax oil daily plus consuming plenty of fatty fish (encouraged on Dukan).
    Losing more than 1-2 pounds per week can promote gallstones and muscle loss, she says: "It is unhealthy to lose weight so quickly because you not only lose fat and fluids but precious muscle mass, which is really hard to replace, especially as you get older."

I've dropped 3% bodyfat so I'm not losing muscle mass, just fat.
    Constipation, bad breath, dry mouth, and fatigue should be a red flag that this is not a healthy diet, she says.

I haven't had problems with any of these things.
  • Lindashope
    Lindashope Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi, I have been on this diet for 5 days. I have lost almost 4 pounds. I am not really hungry. However, on the fourth day out, I was really exhausted and dragging, finding it difficult to exercise. Today, I am feeling better and more energized. I like not counting calories or points. I hope to try and stick to the attack phase one more week. I have about 10 (maybe 15) pounds to lose. I'm testing this diet out with a friend, finding it easier to do that way...good luck everyone!
  • bethany7687
    bethany7687 Posts: 44
    Options
    I am on Dukan. 14.6 lbs in 14 days, NO food cravings, NEVER hungry. Love it.
    Bethany
  • flyingpiglet
    Options
    I am on Day 2 of Dukan. I think the main misconception is the people commenting on this diet (Dr's and Nutritionists) have not READ THE BOOK. I have a background in Nutrition and the Attack phase (when followed properly) does not last long enough to cause issues that many doctors are listing. Now of course you are going to have people who go to extremes, but that is the case with ANY diet or lifestyle. I did a lot of research before starting this plan including reading the book, and reviewing a lot of what Dr. Dukan discusses in my own outside research. This plan struck me as the best option for me.

So far I am liking it, and my husband is doing it with me as well. Once we are done with the attack phase we will each do a different cycle of foods during Cruise as there are different alternating cycles you can follow. I wish anyone luck in their endeavors with Dukan or any other lifestyle change just so long as you do what is RIGHT for you, and do your research beforehand! There will always be those that sing praises and skeptics on any lifestyle change, just do what is right for you and listen to your body :-)
  • caz426
    caz426 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am on day 17 and have lost 11.5 lbs. I feel great and am never hungry. I have heard a lot of people say that the body can't process high amounts of protein... I honestly am not eating that much more protein then I normally would, especially now that I'm in the Cruise Phase. I also did research before starting the diet and I know that it's the way for me to go!

Good luck everyone!!
  • arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I read this book while on vacation. I was doing the 4 hour body "diet" which is pretty restrictive, but allowed for a cheat day which kept me sane. I am leaning toward the Dukan diet because it is progressive. The most restrictive phase doesn't last more than 5 days and the cruise is built on that. Plus I would really like to eat "normally" with a newfound idea of what my body really needs and what I don't need. I plan on re reading the book and starting this week.

p.s. where can I find oat bran?
  • Tricie513
    Tricie513 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I bought a box of Quaker Oat Bran at Safeway for about $3.00. I didn't have it on day one, but on day two I made a oat bran cookie recipe that has vanilla non-fat yogurt, 1 egg, baking powder, and splenda...they were surprisingly really good! The oat bran definitely makes you feel more full and like you are having a "treat."

I'm on day 4 of my 6 day attack phase, I've lost 3.5 pounds, and I feel so good about myself! It was such a huge surprise to find out how full I stay when eating a lot of protein instead of eating a sandwich and then feeling hungry within an hour or so. One thing I was worried about was cooking a dinner that both my husband (who is not on the diet) and I can eat. However, all I have to do is not eat the bread, potatoes, or whatever carb we may have cooked as a side. He walks with me for the recommended 20 minutes a day, and that helps to keep me motivated.

I've sen the complaints about being tired, bad breath, constipated, etc., but after 4 days there hasn't been a problem with any of that. I say go for it!
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot about this diet but would be concerned about losing so much weight so quickly - surely if you were quite heavy to start with, you would end up with skin elasticity problems as your skin wouldn't reduce as fast as the weight is going?
  • Tricie513
    Tricie513 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, if you read up on it, you'll find out that the first week the average weight loss is about 5 pounds give or take, which is supposed to give you motivation to continue. After the first week ( phase 1), you start introducing other healthy foods and are supposed to lose weight at about 1-2 pounds per week until you reach your goal weight. In my case, I'm supposed to stay on the 2nd phase for 5 months in order to get to my goal. Then, you go into the 3rd phase that adds in additional healthy foods. You stay in this phase 5 days for every pound you lost, and the goal is to maintain your goal weight. Then, you move into the 4th phase, which you are to stay on permanently.

To get a little better understanding of it, you can go here: http://www.dukandiet.com/the-dukan-diet.
  • Miss_Neriss
    Options
    I'm doing the Dukan diet. I'll be honest, I'm not as strict as I should be (still accepting the odd dinner invite etc), but since I started about 2 months ago I've lost 8 kilos, my husband has dropped 9. I still have about 20 kilos to go to my 'true weight' and it seems to be going at a good pace. Although I don't weigh myself every day and I've just been on a trip to Spain where there is all manner of non dukan friendly foods, so I'm avoiding the scales...

I really recommend the diet and I found a great series of blogs that I find really helpful:
    http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2010/04/21/how-the-dukan-diet-works-the-french-diet-that-is-supposed-to-end-the-obesity-epidemic/