Lap Band surg done starting new life need new friends

Options
:tongue: After having struggled with weight loss all my life and been up and down so many times- after having done it all - i have finally decided i had enough and needed help. I had admitted to myself - that i just couldn't do it alone. So i have done the Lap Band surgery- it is not a miracle cure i'm aware of that and for that reason i'm here .

My surgery was last month. I'm just recovered enough to start working out - and eating more normal ( other than puree and liquid stuff )

I'm here - i want to do everything in my power to finally get to meet " the real me - that's been locked up in this fat "

My goal is to exercise 5 days a week - about 45-60 minutes.
Log my food .
Be accauntable.

I need like-minded friends. People that will be of support- someone i can learn something from ( i would like to be able to see your diary logs - esp. if you are a lap band patient so that i can learn from you )

If you think we have something incommon - please add me :)

Replies

• phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: welcome to mfp! you have come to the right place! i am sending you a friend request so together we can encourage & support each other!
  • txin1
    txin1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm a fellow LapBander. Feel free to add me and let's do this. :)
  • JeniNoel
    JeniNoel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Welcome to MFP! I too, am a fellow LapBander (with plication)...had my surgery on 5/15/2013...down 47 lbs so far.

This is possibly the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, the surgery is definitely no quick solution, but it's worth it! One day at a time!

Congrats and making the decision to live a healthier lifestyle and be a healthier you! We can do this!
  • ashley90660
    Options
    Hi!
    I know this is an older post, but I would love to hear from/add you all.

A little backstory on my .... journey....

I was banded a few years ago. I believe in 2009 (shows how pathetic my story is). Anyway, I have lost roughly 30 lbs total - the majority lost in 2012 after I had my son and I can thank breastfeeding for that one because I know it wasn't me. I really expected this to be my miracle cure, I guess. So now, here I am, 24 weeks pregnant with baby girl and with this pregnancy I had to have my band unfilled. I didn't have this problem the first time and now I am terrified of gaining the weight all back because I never changed and I continue to eat things that are not good for me... just smaller portions. It's awful.

So here is my goal - I plan on changing my outlook on food before baby gets here and before I go get my band refilled. I want to make conscious decisions on my intake and need to have encouragement around me. I currently weigh 202 (started my pregnancy at 185). I don't necessarily plan on losing weight during my pregnancy, but rather I just want to start making healthier choices and reeducating myself on the benefit of the lap band as a tool....

Hope to hear from you all soon. :) I will be sending requests....

Tell me your stories, please. :)
  • fastingfurious35
    fastingfurious35 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have not been logging very often - but I have been working out and changing my eating habits. - It's been now 10 months since my surgery . I was 295 - now I'm 251 . It's slow- but it's progress.

I don't like to log all the time because that makes me feel like I'm on a diet. I want to have a healthy life style. And I think so far I'm doing really well I have switched a lot of stuff - trying to be more organic, more fructose free. more fresh .. less carbs if I can stick to that - etc.

Hope there are still more lap-band people out here that are active on the board :)
  • fastingfurious35
    fastingfurious35 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hard to belive- it's almost a year since I posted here - on this topic. Last time I posted here I was 251 - now I'm 230 LBs. But a big change is happening in a few days.
    - After many complications- and serious problems- I have to remove the band.
    -
    I'm afraid- and excited at the same time.

Afraid of being again " on my own " .. - and excited - why ?
    well - lap-band people will relate- I don't remember last time I had a real salad.. celery, broccoli.. I don't remember last time I could really bite into an apple or eat an orange or have some grapes.. - none of that would go down and I would choke on it.
    I lived on premier protein and smoothies.. some fish and " pureed " stuff.

I was in pain - every single day. I had no sleep many nights in the raw- either of pain, nausea, heart burn /acid reflux - so many complications- daily vomiting and productive burping - choking on anything and everything- my esophagus got dialeted, inflamed and swollen, my stomach got burned from all the acid.. I got h-pylory bacteria., I can't sit for more than 20minutes or so because I would be in pain, I can't wear anything with buttons or zipper- it makes me feel like I'm chocking.. .. just to name a few things I have been going- and still am going through for few months now.

So I'm excited for all this hopefully to go away after the band is out ..

For the past few months I had no use of the band- it was mostly empty all the time - it just gave me pain - .. I know I was living " on my own " .. but I guess it was the mental part of knowing it's there .. that gave me somewhat a " secure " feeling. Even if it was empty- if I over ate ( having more than 1 cup of food in one sitting ) .. I would be in pain and would vomit.

I'm not thinking of having a sleeve surgery- . I don't want to think of it as an option. I want to belive in my self . I want to continue this journey- just like everyone else
    healthy food and exercise.

Anyone out there = that had a band- and had it removed ? How is your life now ? I wish I could connect with someone with similar experience.
  • 600lbs2Beast
    600lbs2Beast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you about the band, and I know you don't want to consider the sleeve as an option. But if you ever have any questions about it. I had it a few years ago.
  • iamaveronica
    iamaveronica Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I put my story on my profile. Losing weight is hard, but eating right with the Lap-Band is harder. A couple years ago, I learned that acid reflux issues run in my family when, all of a sudden I woke up in the middle of the night with some serious gurd. I had never had reflux before, so I didn't know what it was. I would love to join a Lap-band support group on here. I'm also using the UP app and exercising.