starting a HIIT fitness video

Options
Is it normal to not be able to finish a new HIIT video right away. Should I gradually work my way to the end and each day do a little more. I was only able to finish 11 minutes today of a 45 minute video and I was out of breath. Are a lot of people like this?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal to me. It's important to stop the video and not push yourself all the way through because you'll get discouraged. I recommend trying to add on a few minutes every workout, you'll get better and better and eventually be able to finish it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    yes work your way up eventually you will get to where you can finish it.you made it 11 min thats still an accomplishment. congrats
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you can to "HIIT" for 45 minutes, you're doing it wrong.
  • PinkandBlack87
    Options
    Awesome, thanks everyone
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes. You are doing great! Congratulations! You should be so winded during the work interval that it should take three to four times as much to recover. However, early on, you might not be able to do more than a few intervals.

My longest work interval is 30 seconds, with rests up to 120 seconds. I try to get between 5 - 10. So, with a five minute warm up, ten 30/90 intervals, then a five minute cool down, I’m done in thirty minutes. I’m sure working up to 45 minutes is possible, but don’t sweat it if you don’t.

There are two ways to go about improving your performance:
    1) Take the planned rests for the first few intervals, then use the pause on subsequent rest intervals to extend the recovery time and get to a recovered state
    2) Try to work further into the video each time adding one more work interval until you can do a full set.

Also, I wouldn’t do more than two of these a week. You risk overtraining if you do.

• PinkandBlack87
    Options
    Thank you Allan! You have provided more information on HIIT, I feel better about myself and know that its just baby steps, it takes time that's for sure;
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You're probably doing high intensity AEROBIC workout. Keep going, by pushing yourself gradually, you're doing great :) Eventually you'll be able to push your lactate threshold up if you push into ANAEROBIC zone. Good luck:)