Logging Weight Training

buster0042
buster0042 Posts: 5
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Currently, I do very little Weight Training. However, I know that if I starting doing it, it would be a hell of a lot more benefical than what I'm doing now (which is nothing and/or very little).

When I log the cardio that I do (spinning and walking), it adjusts my calorie count accordingly. I think that's great! However, what does logging your weight training do within MFP?

Replies

• wolffs05
    wolffs05 Posts: 15 Member
    As far as I can tell, it does nothing to your calories which is odd as I would think it should...
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Bump!

I've been wondering the same thing. I know I burn calories when I do weight training... and I find it lame that it doesn't count it. :(
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    You have to log strength training under the cardio section. The other section is really just for record keeping. MFP has no way to know how many reps you've done, what weight you lifted, whether they were warm up sets, max sets, or what.......there's just no way to standardize "weight training" or "strength training".
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Log it under cardio "strength training including weight training". It will increase your cals if you burn enough.

The bottom section strenth training is basically to log what you do for the session.
  • buster0042
    buster0042 Posts: 5
    So you would enter in "Strength Training" as the exercise search criteria, then enter in how many minutes you did that for (which would then note the number of calories you burned). Then, in the bottom section, you would enter in the type of weight training, the weight, and the reps?

Is there an average calorie burn that all weight training does, or is it different depending on the weight exercise?
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    There's just no way to average this type of training because the program cannot know what you actually did. Was it an upper body day, lower body day, did you use free weights, machines, plyometrics, etc
    I wear a heart rate monitor and use those calories to enter into my strength training.
    If it's an upper body day, it's usually in the 230-250 range for an hour and if it's lower body body day, it might be in the 330-360 range. A HRM is definitely the way to go if you want a good estimate.
This discussion has been closed.