Middle aged Mom-Need Help

Options
I'm 41 years old and I'm heavier than I've ever been in my life, including when I was 9 months pregnant. I'm 5'2 and need to lose 55 pounds. I feel so uncomfortable. I eat too much junk and don't exercise. I need help now!

Replies

• SDranchwife
    Options
    Hello melindadi,
    I just turn 41 in Feb. Where does the time go? I just started a weight loss program in Dec. I was within 2 lbs. of pregnancy weight. I feel and know your pain. I've been working out with some of my gal friends and changed my eating habits LOTS. I just wanted to let you know that you can do it! It can be challenging at times but it is possible. Be encouraged.
  • melindadi
    Options
    Thank you. It's hard to get motivated when I've failed so many times before. I'm going to start with my eating habits. Thanks again for the encouraging words.
  • Bigwig236
    Bigwig236 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    OK. Take one day at a time, record everything, be honest with yourself, even if its KFC bucket. At your age you CAN do it, and do it comfortably. Friend me by all means if you wish, there are some great inspirational people on here. Dont ever give in....
  • Btbeam
    Btbeam Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and have lost 131 lbs. Our age doesn't mean we can't do this. You just need to be honest with yourself and MFP. The weight didn't come on in one day and it won't come off in one either. Anyone can feel free to add me for additional support.
  • JK82270
    JK82270 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Melindadi,

I'm 44 with 3 teenage boys and I am by far at my heaviest. I've lost over 20#s in 9 weeks but I have over 100 to go. I'd love to support each other if you want to friend me! :D

• Neek722015
    Neek722015 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm a new member, 42, 5'1", mom to two, and also need to lose 50 pounds. I feel your pain! I'm also a teacher finding it hard to balance demands of work and family, as well as taking care of myself....
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 last month. Been on mfp since April of 2013. Attitude is everything !

There is no such thing as not doing it. You decide you will do this. If you have a set back, okay. Call it what it is and get back on it. You can do this!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Weight loss sucks. I've been at it for a year and lost 35lbs.I'm 37, 5'3" and currently weigh 190lbs.

I will admit that about 9 months in, I got bored and started making some bad choices again. This site, does work and usually isn't too painful. The important thing here is to count everything you put in your mouth and don't give up. For weight loss to work, you need a permanent solution. That takes a long time. Creating good eating habits takes time.

I thought that in a year I'd be super skinny. Well, I still have 45lbs to go, but I feel like this is sustainable.

• jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Well, it is going to require a change in your life. If you want to make that change, then you will find a lot of resources (including friends and articles) to help you here on MFP!
    You (and anyone else) are more than welcome to add me. My wife and I are both on MFP and we are in our 40's as well.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I lost 66lbs after my 2nd baby, which was the weight I'd put on plus about 30lbs more, and I did that in about 18 months, with a baby and a toddler, and going back to work part time as a teacher, plus my husband works shifts.

I'm 37 now (not quite middle aged yet lol) and my third baby is 10 months so I'm losing weight again. Sigh. I go back to work in a few weeks, 3 days a week.

You have to make it routine. My husband does shift work so I can go to the gym the evenings he's on early shift, and at the weekend, and when he's late shift I'll go to the gym straight from work before collecting the kids, and in the morning on my days off. I also take my kids out a lot for walks (they go on their scooters), but they're young so that's easy. I don't think they'd be interested if they were teenagers!

Make sure you make healthy meals for you and the kids. I've always eaten healthily so I don't find that hard. There are plenty of quick, healthy things you can make. We still have treats too.

Make sure you log everything, and do it accurately. Maybe look up some healthier versions of meals you like.
  • melindadi
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. I'm really trying.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm FIFTY. Can you imagine someone so old?

When I turned 40 I developed an underactive thyroid, was put on Synthroid, and ordered to lose the weight if at all possible. I started eating healthy, exercising, and never looked back. I lost the weight and kept most of it off. OK, some of it.

Sometimes it takes a wake-up call like that to straighten out your life. You have to want it though and every day is a struggle.

I'm in the gym 6 days a week - today I'm taking 3 classes - and my family eats healthy with me.