Celebration food

Options
i struggle a lot with celebration food. We have five family birthday celebrations coming up. Each one will involve a meal, dessert and cake (cooked by my mother-in-law) This will take up more than my day's calories each time. I know I sound miserable... But I'm really focused one weight loss at the moment. Do you have a good way of dealing with celebration food?

Replies

• melg51
    melg51 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i struggle a lot with celebration food. We have five family birthday celebrations coming up. Each one will involve a meal, dessert and cake (cooked by my mother-in-law) This will take up more than my day's calories each time. I know I sound miserable... But I'm really focused one weight loss at the moment. Do you have a good way of dealing with celebration food?

I also have this issue :(
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well what kind of food is it?

Take smaller portions, load up on vegetables

Offer to take round a course / or dish and make it healthier

Take a bite of pudding to taste - maybe take some chocolate coated strawberries as a nice refreshing alternative to a heavy dessert or similar

Drink a lot of diet soda / water and chat a lot

save some calories across the week to fund it (either eating fewer or working out more)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    one day is not going to ruin your progress, or a few days for that matter. Eat the food, try to control the portion sizes, log it as best as possible, and move on to the next day.

• katerinawaller
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. I think I shall save some calories. I feel like a party pooper asking for small portions all the time. All of five birthdays are within 2 weeks, and they are big eaters!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. I think I shall save some calories. I feel like a party pooper asking for small portions all the time. All of five birthdays are within 2 weeks, and they are big eaters!

you could always have less for breakfast and leave room for the dinner and cake….

OR

try to pre log your day based on what you think they are having and see how it looks…

OR

just eat all the food you want and get back on track the next day :)

Lifestyle change should not mean that you have to torture yourself at family outings and holidays...
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Save calories through the week.
    Exercise more.
    Fit it in the best you can.
    Try to moderate your portions.

What I'd do... Enjoy yourself! Weight loss doesn't have to be grim, a few days over you calories won't ruin anything in the long term!