How to get started running?

Options
To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll stick with this. But, I do want to try. I need some advice though, because I'm not sure where to begin. I'm 202 pounds. I would like to weigh 150. I'm very out of shape and I doubt I could run 50 ft. before getting out of breath. I have a very hard time with lowering food consumption, so I want to attempt to offset a little of that with exercise. I've decided to give running/jogging a shot. I have a few questions before I get started though.

1. Will it be better to start with walking for a few weeks to build up stamina before trying to run?

2. Is it better to run on dirt than pavement? I'm thinking that it might help absorb some shock and be easier on the knees.

3. Can I wear a knee brace while running? I have some problems with one of my knees giving out on me sometimes.

Any other pointers for a beginner would be appreciated.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    You should look up and try the Couch to 5 k program. I did it for a few weeks and then my knee didn't cooperated and got sick. BUT it is a great build up and very doable!
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was going to comment the same thing. Look into the couch to 5k, it gives you walk/run intervals and slowly increases the amount of running over time. I am not a runner at all either, but many friends have had luck with this program

Great job reaching above your comfort level to make changes :)
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what and how you eat will be the best thing you can do to lower your weight. exercise is the least important thing for weight loss. check out this article. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/03/09/why-exercise-is-the-least-important-part-of-the-equation-and-a-camp-nerd-fitness-update/

you can walk to get started, but throw in some brief runs in that walk, and when you feel winded, start walking again. it'll take time to build up endurance, but you'll get it.

running on dirt can have the least amount of impact, but it can provide it's on challenges, such as changing terrain. asphalt is actually pretty good and "soft" for running.

you can wear a knee brace while running, but i have a flimsy knee myself, so sometimes i'll wear KT tape for support. but the thing that helped my knee was not only running, but also doing some strength training.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Just something I wish someone told me when I started:

I had the same mindset as you. I had a hard time eating less, so I was just going to exercise more. I started with Jillian Michaels DVDs and those workouts were TOUGH for me. I would burn 200-300 calories per workout, which is hardly a slice of pizza. In one of the videos she says "you can't out-exercise a bad diet". This resonated with me and I knew I HAD to change my diet as well to get the results that I wanted (which was a 35lb weight loss). Make the changes really slowly. Start with just breakfast or something. You can do it!!
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    First and foremost, buy a good pair of running shoes. I know a lot of people have had luck with the C25K program but for me starting out (and my fitness level was approximately zero), it moved too quickly. I started walking, then moved to the elliptical machine, then started alternating running and walking and now I run 15-20 miles a week. I never saw myself as a runner and now it is truly the best part of my day. Stick with it; I promise its worth it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you have knee problems maybe you should discuss running with a doctor first. If you are not cleared for running, know that high incline walking can burn just as many calories as a jog! If you are cleared, start slow.. VERY slow. Some people like C25k as a beginner running program but I found it a bit too hard to do. There are alternative programs and if you are interested I could give you one from a runners world book I read a while back, it has smoother progression.

While running in mud may be easier on your knee, keep in mind that pushing against mud needs more effort than pushing against pavement. Nothing serious, but know you may need to go even slower.

Generally, as a beginner you need to get be able to brisk-walk at least 30 minutes consistently for at least a couple of weeks before you attempt running. After that, keep your running pace as slow as possible. If you can run any slower, you are going too fast. You would be running as fast as you walk, or even slower in the beginning.

Keep in mind I'm a beginner as well, and have only been able to run continuously for 2 months. I'm just giving you what worked for me. You may get better advice from more experienced runners.

No running question is complete without pointing you to this excellent thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    read this thread regarding walking. Nothing wrong with walking then segueing to running.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31659946#Comment_31659946
  • shelbymikszath1
    shelbymikszath1 Posts: 76 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ive started with this app called runkeeper and it is great!! I am working towards a 5k run right now and i would be so happy to have someone to share it with, add me and we can motivate eachother :)

1. Yes, walk and jog a bit in the begginning and then work your way up. (Runkeeper helps as it makes a schedule for you so it tills you what to do and when to do it in a healthy way.)
    2. Yes, dirt is better than pavement both for your knees(as you said one if your knees hurts) and also for your shoes as they wont wear out as fast.
    3. Yes it is recomended to wear a knee Brace when running but it would be good to invest in one made for running in.

Good luck
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I actually already downloaded the c25k app. I've heard some good reviews on it and decided to give it a shot.

And I know I should be eating less. I really do try and I've been trying to make better choices when I eat. I've cut out pop, sweet tea and fried foods almost completely. I just eat too much, even if its healthy food. Its just something I really struggle with due to what has been pounded into my head since I was little. My bad eating habits started at a very young age and I'm still struggling to reverse them. My family is very (unhealthy) food oriented.

I'm glad that wearing a knee brace is okay. That would be just what I'd need... To start running and do a faceplant or something. Lol.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    You should look up and try the Couch to 5 k program. I did it for a few weeks and then my knee didn't cooperated and got sick. BUT it is a great build up and very doable!

I agree with this.

I wasn't always a runner. I started a couple years ago and now I'm addicted. I didn't start with a program, I just started running. I told myself I was going to go a certain distance, but that I was allowed walk breaks. You will not be able to run the entire distance when you first start. Try alternating walking with running.

You also, as a first step, if you are REALLY wanting to start running, should be fitted with a GOOD pair of shoes. Running in bad shoes may not only turn you off to running in general, but you could injure yourself in which case down the road if you DO like running, you might be held back as far as what you can do (distance, endurance, speed, etc).

So step 1.) get a good pair of shoes
    Step 2.) just start! Even if it's just around the block! Slow and steady wins the race!

Best of luck! Feel free to add me! I'm an avid runner (now up to running anywhere from 20-30 miles a week!)
  • nanokookoo
    nanokookoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    See a doctor first about the knee and if you are fit to do so.

Avoid concrete pavements (I made that mistake and was left with painful shin splints)

consider running/prancing in a pool to get your cardio up, the water will also help with your knee problems. When you have lost some weight re consider running on land and the weight impact will be less since you've already lost some weight

brisk walk/jog before thinking of running
  • bebdinosaur
    bebdinosaur Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You might look into options for a running group in your area. I know the local running club in my county has a Beginning Women Runners program that builds up to a 5k race at an easy pace. They break everybody into different pace groups, so you don't have to push more than you're able. It was also great for receiving a bit of education about running. It's a great community of women who have the same concerns.
    Of course, that might not be available to you, but I think it's definitely worth checking out.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    ShellF415 wrote: »
    First and foremost, buy a good pair of running shoes. I know a lot of people have had luck with the C25K program but for me starting out (and my fitness level was approximately zero), it moved too quickly. I started walking, then moved to the elliptical machine, then started alternating running and walking and now I run 15-20 miles a week. I never saw myself as a runner and now it is truly the best part of my day. Stick with it; I promise its worth it.

I wish MFP had a like button! Good shoes are a MUST. If you have a running store anywhere near you, I would suggest venturing in and having them fit your foot. Don't be shy about telling them you are just starting out; I have found that almost all runners are very welcoming to "newbies" :) But you definitely need shoes that are comfortable and work with your particular gait. I have also heard great things about C25K, but started out doing something similar on my own….it was as basic as walk for a minute, run for 30 secs, repeat cycle for 30 minutes until I could decrease my walking time. It's amazing how quickly you will see improvement. I was never a runner either and am now training for my first 1/2 at age 46…ran 10 miles for the first time yesterday!

*And while running will help you lose weight, I agree with the above poster who said "You can't outrun a bad diet"…VERY true. However, as a bonus, running will make you feel capable and strong and those feelings of self worth and perseverance are addicting :) Good luck to you!!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree, Couch to 5k is the best. I did it last September (2014). I kept it up and did more, I will now run my first Half Marathon May 3rd.

Please be aware that the more you run the hungrier I will get. You can not run while starving.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good luck with this. For me, I got to a reasonable weight ( 85kg, so BMI in overweight not obese category ) first and then just jumped into a 5k parkrun race. And from then got the bug.....

Oh and yes get the right shoes that's a must.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I agree, Couch to 5k is the best. I did it last September (2014). I kept it up and did more, I will now run my first Half Marathon May 3rd.

It's a great choice for many, but it was too hard and discouraging for me. Just a reminder that it's a great program, but if you find yourself struggling with it don't give up, there are other options out there!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    You also, as a first step, if you are REALLY wanting to start running, should be fitted with a GOOD pair of shoes.
    Are there any certain brands or styles that you would suggest? I literally buy the same shoes every time I need new ones because I have oddly shaped feet or something and its hard to find shoes that fit right. I currently have Sketchers Elite w/ Memory Foam.

nanokookoo wrote: »
    See a doctor first about the knee and if you are fit to do so.
    I've seen a doctor about it before. Diagnosis is just arthritis. And sadly, there aren't many pools in my area. There are two, but they're both expensive and overrun with hoodlums in the summer when they're open. People seem to think that that public pool is a drop off daycare.

jedaniels wrote: »
    You might look into options for a running group in your area.
    I've looked, but I haven't found any. I might make a group on meetup once I get started myself.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi rhaiin. I started running at 200+ lbs. I did the couch to 5k app. Like every one said SHOES! Find a running store in your area. They will have you run on a treadmill and can evaluate your gait and find the right shoe.

I wanted the super cute hot pink Nikes. Unfortunately, they were very minimalist and according the running store I need a shoe with good support as I have a very high arch (who knew). I'm currently in a pair of brooks glycerins. It is my 2nd pair and they are seriously the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. I would never have picked them on my own because they were $150 and not the cutest.

If you do the c25k app, I recommend a little more warm up time then they give. When I first started, the 5 minutes of walking before moving into running just wasn't enough to warm up my muscles. Now I'll walk 5 minutes, stretch and then I can run a whole 5k.

Several of my friends on here are runners or working at being runners. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I started in 2010 walking. I was 50 lbs over weight. I was 214 lbs, should be around 160. My wife got me walking, and I did that with some cardio workouts like P90x. I changed my diet and I am eating healthy. Then one day while walking I decided to run from 1one light pole to the next. That is where it began. Then I would do 2 light poles and slowly I increased my distance. Then I was running 1 mile, 2 miles and slowly increased my mileage. My weight dropped the more I ran and I continued to watch my diet with MFP. I am now signed up for my 4th Marathon coming in November 2015. You can do it ! Try the C25K, it works. My wife started running and she used C25K to train. I also logged all my runs on RunKeeper, and still do. I have 889 activities logged since I began. So don't give up. Take it slow so you don't injure yourself. If you start running make sure you have the right shoes so your feet don't hurt. If you want it bad enough, all you have to do is try. Good luck in your journey. You can friend me if you want, or anyone else here that is interested in running. I am also on RunKeeper.