Knee and shin pain while spinning

Options
I just started a spinning (or cycling) class, tonight was my second night. I was having pain in my knees and shins, does anyone know what I was doing wrong (seat too high or low, too far back or forward, or something completely different)??

Replies

• bipandora
    bipandora Posts: 19
    Options
    splints most likely... dial it back a few notches. Those tiny tears in your muscles and tissue can get really bad really fast
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Could be tendonitis of the knee. Is the pain just below the knee? If so, go buy a strap or brace for your knee which will aleviate and prevent this pain by keeping pressure on the tendon just below the knee. Do you have any past knee injuries? This sometimes leads to tendonitis as it did in my case.
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    Just a wondering - how can we solve/fix/mend splints?
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    Just a wondering - how can we solve/fix/mend splints?
    ice them each night for 20 mins, try to minimize cardio, and sit straight up somewhere like a couch or on the floor against a wall with your legs out in front of you and trace the alphabet with your toes on each foot every night.
  • Soulshine_Girl
    Soulshine_Girl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It could be seat set-up. If your seat is too close to the handlebars, your knees will hyperflex and it could be the cause of your pain. A good rule of thumb is the distance of your seat should be the distance of your forearm between the tip of the seat and the front of the handlebar post.

Good Luck - and you're just starting, so ease back a bit and give your knee/shins some rest.
  • doppe2
    doppe2 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had shin spilnts a few years ago while I was playing softball. The only thing I found that helpd was icing them after you work out.
  • wvmark41
    wvmark41 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ice the pain. Ease up on the leg work so there's no pain.

Increase the workouts 10% each week as long as there's no pain.

Walking is great to get the legs ready for the tougher work outs.
  • Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My shins are personnally really tensed and my spinning instructor never does enough shins stretching so I stretch by myself. Also, spinning can be kinda hard on the knees if you're not careful. Always put some tensions, even in the sprints, and contract your abs a lot, so your full body absords the choc of the sprint. Keep your knees parallel while biking and do not stand if you feel your knees won't be strong enough. Hope it helps. :)