Need help exercising with an abnormally fast heart beat/heart problems

Options
Hello friends! I am back on the attempting to be healthy wagon after a tough year. Back in April of 2014 I started having issues with a rapid heart beat. I have been misdiagnosed with Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome and anxiety. Treatment for both of those things did not help. My resting heart rate is between 90 & 110 and I have watched myself pack on the pounds over the last year because I get tired so quickly when attempting to exercise. Since my resting heart rate is so high my active heart rate just jumps up very fast. I'm seeing another cardiologist on the 24th and I'm hoping to work harder on getting a correct diagnosis/treatment to get my heartbeat in check but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar and been able to exercise/lose weight despite it? All help & advice is appreciated!
Thanks,
Jessica

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    xtabai wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar and been able to exercise/lose weight despite it?

I don't have a heart issue, but i've lost weight solely by reducing my calorie intake and increasing my activity level (low heart rate activities). So your heart issue doesn't have to stop you from making progress.
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Did your last cardiologist do a stress echocardiogram? What is your max HR when exercising?
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    No matter what the answer is, though, if you are feeling symptoms while exercising, I really recommend holding off the exercise until you get clearance from your cardiologist.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I doubt it is safe to follow any advice you find on the internet, you need to talk to a dr. In the meantime, losing weight through changing your diet will probably help, no matter what the final diagnosis is.
  • ChicagOH
    ChicagOH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My brother has been struggling with this off and on over the years and has been working with his cardiologist to stabilize it. Since keeping your weight down can only help your heart, concentrate on a high quality, low cal diet, and frequent walks that are not designed to get heart rate up just get in the steps. Best wishes.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I would hold off on all exercising until you get the all clear from you're doc. Maybe walking if you really want to burn cals. Just take it easy. That's just what I would do if I was in that position. Good luck.
  • brittjrogg
    brittjrogg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I went to my cardiologist and had some tests done and he said that my heart was healthy and that I just had a high heart rate. My resting heart rate is about 100-110. My doctor just told me to not go above a certain heart rate number when I exercise. So, once I got the go ahead that my heart it healthy enough to exercise I went out and got a heart rate monitor. I wear it every time I work out and then I just keep track of where the number is at and make sure that I don't exceed it. If I am getting close I will slow down and walk in place or something, but I keep moving. I have been doing the Firm Express Thin In 30 which, is HIIT, with 8 second bursts of different exercises. I don't usually do elliptical or treadmill. I just find them boring, I am going to do T25 next. So, these types of workouts can be done with a high heart rate, but I WOULDN'T attempt anything without getting a go ahead from your Dr.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had a cardiac ablation 5 years ago for AVNRT. My hear rate would sporadically jump to 230 and stay pinned there for hours. This was regardless of exercise or physical stimulus.

As has been mentioned, you should only follow your Dr's advice. What worked for me was stopping my workouts if I had an episode. For the last few months, prior to surgery, each episode ended in the ER anyways!

Heart conditions are very serious, so follow your Dr's orders precisely.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do any exercise before speaking to the cardiologist and getting there advice on what you can safely do
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.

Exercise is used to benefit other health and fitness areas. Speak to your doctor about the types of activities that you can do. And work on the ones that help you reach your fitness goal (cardiovascular health, strength, endurance, mobility, balance, speed, etc.).

• cantumelia
    cantumelia Posts: 59 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You could ask your cardiologist about nordic walking
    "Nordic Walking" Benefits Heart Failure Patients. Medical NewsToday
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/245638.php
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have lost a fairly nice amount of weight simply walking and hiking. You can get a decent polar HRM and set the heart rate zones you want manually and it will beep at ou to let you know when you are in the zone, and when your heart rate gets too high. I have the Polar FT4 and its pretty cheap. Start with small walks and slowly work your way to longer walks and see how it goes.
  • xtabai
    xtabai Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My diet hasn't been very bad over the past year so I really feel like exercise whether it be walking or whatever else my doctor allows is the only way I'm going to see A LOT of progress. I'm sure I could lose a little weight with just dietary changes but the main goal is health and of course that requires some degree of exercise. Also thank you for the heart monitor ideas Lissa_Kaye, I have been considering purchasing one and the one you linked looks affordable and convenient. Hopefully my appointment on the 24th will yield some results or ideas.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hello friends! I am back on the attempting to be healthy wagon after a tough year. Back in April of 2014 I started having issues with a rapid heart beat. I have been misdiagnosed with Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome and anxiety. Treatment for both of those things did not help. My resting heart rate is between 90 & 110 and I have watched myself pack on the pounds over the last year because I get tired so quickly when attempting to exercise. Since my resting heart rate is so high my active heart rate just jumps up very fast. I'm seeing another cardiologist on the 24th and I'm hoping to work harder on getting a correct diagnosis/treatment to get my heartbeat in check but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar and been able to exercise/lose weight despite it? All help & advice is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Jessica
    Probably a good idea to stray away from any exercise activity till you consult with the cardiologist.
    Weight loss can happen without exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.

Exercise is used to benefit other health and fitness areas. Speak to your doctor about the types of activities that you can do. And work on the ones that help you reach your fitness goal (cardiovascular health, strength, endurance, mobility, balance, speed, etc.).

nods
  • jbs2travel
    jbs2travel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation a few years ago - heart rate very hight and fluctuating. Eventually went to Atrial Flutter - constant heart rate of 128! The meds did not work to control the issue and eventually I got a pacemaker. It took almost a year after the pacer to get back to where I could exercise. Good luck figuring this out.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I take Beta Blockers (prescribed) which keeps my heart rate really low most of the time. Even after an intense 6 mile run or so it hardly gets above 100. I would have thought that it might have impacted on my fat burning but it never has.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My diet hasn't been very bad over the past year so I really feel like exercise whether it be walking or whatever else my doctor allows is the only way I'm going to see A LOT of progress. I'm sure I could lose a little weight with just dietary changes but the main goal is health and of course that requires some degree of exercise. Also thank you for the heart monitor ideas Lissa_Kaye, I have been considering purchasing one and the one you linked looks affordable and convenient. Hopefully my appointment on the 24th will yield some results or ideas.

I lost all of my weight without exercise... all 75 pounds...

My advice is to talk to your doctor. After you're cleared for exercise, log it and monitor your HR if you can also. That way you've got something solid to show your doctor as you work with him/her going forward.