Need a little help understanding this?

Options
MargieHere
MargieHere Posts: 14 Member
I am brand new to this site and I love it. One piece I am confused on? I worked hard today and according to the exercise page, burned over 3,000 calories. I ate quite a bit too today. Between my calorie intake and my exercise, it says I still have 1,300 calories to eat. Is this true? I am afraid of the starvation mode but really do not want to eat that much more either? Please post any answers you may have.

Replies

• PhoenyxRising
    PhoenyxRising Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the site also but I asked a friend the exact same question today and he basically explained it as when we workout we burn calories so we have extra calories we can use. We need to make sure we are taking in the recommended amount that the individual profile says we should, but we don't HAVE to use the extra calories we earn from working out. If we choose to, fine, but if not it won't put us into starvation mode or anything like that. Not sure if that makes sense but thats what I got out of it.
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    i think you are fine as long as your net calories is at least 1200:)
  • regi1
    regi1 Posts: 28
    Options
    Welcome. My understanding is as long as you eat at least 1200 calories you should be ok in staying out of stavation mode. Hope that helps.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You're saying you burned 3000 calories in exercise today? That seems waaaay too high, what did you do and how much of it?
  • MrsRono75
    MrsRono75 Posts: 14
    Options
    I would just go by how you feel. Know that you can still eat if you are hungry but you dont have to. I had the same thing happen the other day. I worked out in my yard for 4 hours and ended up with 1200 calories left for the day. I didnt end up eating them, just made sure I drank enough water.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You're saying you burned 3000 calories in exercise today? That seems waaaay too high, what did you do and how much of it?

Yeah, whatever you're doing to burn 3k, I WANNA KNOW!

I walked 9 miles yesterday and only burnt 1000
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    If MFP tells you to eat 1200 cal's per day for weight loss and you burn 300 exercising then you have only fueled your body with 900 calories. MFP strongly suggests you eat back the 300 you burned to give your body what it needs to function. If you make a habit of not eating back your exercise calories and you are netting below 1200 calories per day, you may slow down your weight loss and go into starvation mode. Hope that helps...
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    what I'd like to know is what the hell you did to burn 3,000 calories?!?! :noway:
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    In general, if you make sure your Net (on home page) is at least 1200, you should be ok for the day. You might also eat some today and some tomorrow. But try not to make a habit of being far under. Might help to read these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    If MFP tells you to eat 1200 cal's per day for weight loss and you burn 300 exercising then you have only fueled your body with 900 calories. MFP strongly suggests you eat back the 300 you burned to give your body what it needs to function. If you make a habit of not eating back your exercise calories and you are netting below 1200 calories per day, you may slow down your weight loss and go into starvation mode. Hope that helps...

^^^ This! You DO need to eat back as many of your exercise calories as possible. You don't want to net less than 1200 calories a day. EVER! It's just as bad, or worst than eating over your calories.

Also, what did you do to burn that many calories? Do you have an HRM? Be careful not to overestimate calories burned either because then you will be overeating. I would highly recommend getting an HRM with a chest strap :) Good luck on your journey, there's a lot of help here on MFP!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

^^^ This! You DO need to eat back as many of your exercise calories as possible. You don't want to net less than 1200 calories a day. EVER! It's just as bad, or worst than eating over your calories.

Also, what did you do to burn that many calories? Do you have an HRM? Be careful not to overestimate calories burned either because then you will be overeating. I would highly recommend getting an HRM with a chest strap :) Good luck on your journey, there's a lot of help here on MFP!
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know how you burned 3,000 cal in a day (I wanna do it too!), but if I hear correctly what they say on biggest loser, they are eating a certain amount (what their body needs), but then spending as much time in the gym as they need to break even (aka, net 0). This is not recommended without the direct supervision of a doctor, but I was doing that exact thing most days last fall and lost 18 lbs per month on average. I would never be able to eat 3,000 cals myself. I used to burn 12 or 1300 and only eat 1000 to 1200 and was satisfied and felt full. Also, if you go this route, and find yourself losing for a time and then plateau, Let your body off the rigorous track for a week and it should balance out again. Like I said, this is what I have done so advice from experience. I don't recommend it because I'm not a doctor and don't know if you have one on hand to supervise such weightloss.
  • MargieHere
    MargieHere Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Moved furniture at work. Then ended up moving a friend in the evening. I was so tired.

I worked with my husband all day and the exercise entry here said that I burned that many calories. I know I worked for 5 hours moving and sweating profusely but not sure if it was 3,000! If I did, I think I am switching careers! LOL

Thanks everyone for all your responses!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Moved furniture at work. Then ended up moving a friend in the evening. I was so tired.

I worked with my husband all day and the exercise entry here said that I burned that many calories. I know I worked for 5 hours moving and sweating profusely but not sure if it was 3,000! If I did, I think I am switching careers! LOL

Thanks everyone for all your responses!

Yeah, when MFP tells you how many calories you burned, definitely take it with a grain of salt if you don't have an HRM to confirm. For 5 hours of moving, I would guess you burned at best, 1000....but probably less than that even.