Lumber Disk tear = no exercise = PANIC

alliehuther
alliehuther Posts: 8
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,

I was just after some advice on keeping motivated when I am unable to exercise.

I'm only a few kgs from an ideal weight, and have been staying at a pretty constant weight for quite a while now (a pretty long plateau) - however I've injured my spine and ended up in hospital and the idea is no exercise for some time.

I've planned to give up hockey and running and replace these with swimming and keep going with Pilates and Yoga and weight training in the future. However...in the meantime I'm pretty nervous about putting on weight.

Has anyone been in this situation and found a way around it?

Feel free to add me as a buddy, some support right now would be amazing!

Replies

• fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    STOP~~~No need to panic at all. You must be even more diligent on accurately weighing and measuring as well as recording every single item that goes in your mouth.

Switch from regular eggs to EGG BEATERS. Avoid using the frying pan. Up your protein intake (very important for healing).

Consult your physician first but I believe you may still be able to do isometric type exercises that involve working the various muscles without moving the body. Helps with strengthening and toning.

Add me to your friends list if you wish.
  • missionchick
    missionchick Posts: 12 Member
    I am in the same boat! I fell in March and have a minor compression fracture in my T9 vertebrae. I have been told no lifting, bending, twisting for an undetermined amount of time. I had just started to get very serious about my weight again so this was a terrible blow. I normally would go to Curves Zumba, workout with my Wii fit and walk. This is not really an option right now for me either! I fortunately have some great support from some great people. I am being extra diligent about what I put in my mouth right now and trying to do as much as I can. My pain is still pretty evident so I have to take it in baby steps. Hoping things will start to look up for you! Just remember that your back is nothing to fool around with and those last extra pounds are not worth more damage! (My husband has to remind me of this frequently!) Swimming is a great idea since it is low impact - just be careful with your intensity. Hope that provides some encouragement!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Remember weight loss is more about what you eat than exercise. You can watch your calories and still be ok and lose weight without exercise. Simple cardio sitting down punching can raise your heart rate and not hurt you. BUT really worry about getting better. Change your lifestyle on here to adjust your calorie intake. HEAL First then worry about rebuilding exercise.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    FIRST LINE OF "DEFENSE": Your own physician.

RESOURCE: http://www.ehow.com/way_5571124_exercises-lumbar-herniated-disc.html

Claire :)
  • Thanks Fitie - I agree upping the protein is a good idea. I have cut back on chocolate (have not eaten any for a month) and I also don't eat meat so I do need to focus on the balance of my intake and also what to eat when I eat out. That's a tough one because I find it hard to track.
  • It does! Thanks very much. I am healing and I have been given the green light for swimming. Now I just have to get the confidence to get into my bathers at the gym!
This discussion has been closed.