Crazy Old Knees....

Options
Ok, Folks, About 3 weeks ago I started NROLFW. Anyone who has done this workout knows that the first phase has a ton of Deadlifts, Lunges, Squats, and Step Ups. Problem I am having is, my knees are not liking this at all. I tried to do lunges yesterday, and my knees were not having it. I really LOVE this workout, but I don't know how to get my knees to LOVE it too. This has been going on for about a week, and I have the most issue with lunges.

I started taking glucosamine to help with the joint part, but I don't want to continue if this is my old *kitten* body telling me I am not 25 anymore. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so was it temporary???

If this is just my body's way of saying that I am working it...great, I can work with and through that. If this is something that could be causing some actual damage, I might want to rethink this.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    if it is not severe pain try stretching really good every day, its often easily overlooked and tight muscles can pull your knees all out of whack

If you think you are injured or well on your way to injury then I would see a doc or re-evaluate your routine
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I will try the stretching thing, I didnt even think about that. I think if it were only 1 knee I would be more concerned, but where it is both, I am hoping it is like you said and just tight muscles.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Be very vigilant about form for squats and lunges. Don't start with a high box on those step-ups - start low and work your way up. Warm up before you begin that day's routine - treadmill works for me. If you are dealing with over-pronation, make sure your footwear is not squishy, and provides support. I know that something flat or bare foot is supposed to be best for squats, but pronation is just awful for knees (even without the added weight) so you might not be able to tolerate something minimal like converses. Take time to cool down. Keep active - "active recovery days" make a difference for me.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I started it a month ago, and this week started physio for one of my knees. What exactly is going on? Sharp pain in movement? Pain all the time? Swelling / hot to touch?

Can you see yourself in a mirror while you are doing the lunges, squats and step ups? You want to make sure your knees are aimed toward your middle toes, and that your legs aren't collapsing in at all.

According to my physiotherapist, I have week glutes causing patella femoral syndrome(=pain during weighted motion), as well as some arthritis in my knees (clicking and grinding).
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Please be really careful. I tore my meniscus, and it took a year for my knee to feel right. I have to agree with the comments about form being important, and footwear, too. It might benefit you to have a few sessions with a trainer to be sure your form is okay. You don't want to damage your knees.
  • thismamarox
    Options
    I use the mirror for squats and deadlifts. It seems that doesn't bother my knees so much, neither does the step ups, Most of the irritation comes from lunges. The pain almost feels like really sore muscles under the knee cap? If that makes any sense. No swelling or constant pain, just when I bend with most of my weight on that knee. I have been using weights when I do lunges (2 15 pound weights). Maybe I will limit my lunges (do an alternative) until they feel better. I am not super old (43) but not a spring chicken either.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Rest for a few days, and I mean take a complete break, then start with body weight, once the pain is completely gone. And when you are back to adding weights, always remember to do at least one warm up set.
  • fddee
    fddee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it might be patella femoral issues. Try to mork on glutes, maybe have it diagnosed before doing moves that might be making it worse…
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    NROLFW was the very first lifting program I ever did. That was about 3 years ago. While I loved the program, and still recommend it, the lunges trashed my knees and I dealt with bursitis and pain for about a year.... so I really know what you're talking about (I'm a year older than you by the way :smiley: ). I've built the strength back up but I have to really concentrate on pushing my knees outwards on squats now and I often avoid walking lunges. I will lunge in one spot with DBs and that works for me. My advice is to find alternatives for the moves that are hurting. You'll still see results and you'll save yourself a lot of pain.
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have patella femoral issues so I feel your pain. I have seen my doctor and gone through physio and have to wear a specific type of trainer, especially for running. For me, multiple lunges/squats are out of the question. I can do a few, but I know when it's time to stop :) Basically, any exercise for me is possible, it's just a case of building it up slowly and carefully. If you knees don't feel right, I would go and see a doctor just to be sure!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need an alternate move or not to go as deep like a slight forward and small dip or knee up arms up. I cannot do full lunges nor can I add weight with them. I have alot of knee hip issues. Also a good stretch routine stretching the hip flexors glutes and knees. Stability stretches for knees like having your legs straigh in front of you in a sitting position and flexing the knees and gently moving both legs right to left together or seated using a skate board rol it in and out ( these are knee replacement excercise to build up the knee).
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately inherited bad knees. The key is to just make adjustments as needed so you don't have the pain as much as possible.The good news is, in the past I've noticed when I lose a little weight the pain is less but it never really goes away for me. I have to ice them on a regular basis following a hard workout.
  • thismamarox
    Options
    Thank you ladies, I appreciate all the positive feedback from you. I have been doing alternatives for the lunges. It seems the squats and step ups don't aggravate my knees like the lunges do. I have cut them out of my workout for the time being, and my knees seem to feel a TON better. I might try them again in a few weeks without added weight. If they start hurting again, I will know that they just are not right for me.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I don't do lunges which is why I chose Stronglifts. Squatting has actually helped my knees by working the muscles around them.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't do lunges which is why I chose Stronglifts. Squatting has actually helped my knees by working the muscles around them.

I don't do Stronglifts (yet) but I do squats and NO lunges. I had an ACL replaced years ago and lunges just HURT. Squats stress that knee, but nowhere near what lunges were doing. For whatever reason I either don't have the strength or can't hold alignment form for lunges. I am hoping over time that alternate lifting with proper form will allow lunges, but if it never does, no biggie for me. Yoga is helping with alignment form as well.

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Look at exercises to help to strengthen the VMO too. Google it!