I need some serious help with food at work

Options
AESprouse
AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
I began my career as a deputy sheriff, supervising inmates in the county jail, a month and a half ago. I am allowed to eat whatever I want, even on post if I want to, as long as the bag I carry it in is see through. This has caused me to gain 5lbs in the past month after losing 109lbs. I have always been a boredom eater and being that I work overnights and am by myself from 11:45pm to 4:30am, this gives me a lot of time to stuff myself with lots of junk that makes me happy.

I do not want to go back to being that morbidly obese unhappy person. What are some yummy foods that are low calorie that I can snack on throughout a 12 hour shift? I have access to a fridge and microwave for 1 hour in the middle of my shift. I do not like nuts, any seafood, or Greek yogurt.

Please help me stay at a healthy weight!

Replies

• PinkandBlack87
    Options
    This is high in protein which will help you stay full longer. This wrap is a tortilla called Xtreme wellness low carb high fiber, spread on it cream cheese chive flavor, you can add whatever you want like, chopped broccoli, shredded cheese, lettuce, different color bell pepper, tomato, and add lunch meat like ham and turkey, use several slices to make it thick and higher in protein. Roll it up and cut it into chunks for easier eating. I hope this helps
  • AESprouse
    AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I like dried fruit, beef/pork jerky, cereal bars, protein bars, Muller rice, prepackaged fruit salads, mini cheeses like Babybels, pitta bread/chopped veg and hummus... Some of those aren't low calorie, but they do fill you up for a few hours.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cut vegetables for sure. Recently, I've also been making a ton of grilled chicken on Sunday and cutting it into cubes and eating on it all week. I just switch up the marinade so I don't get bored.
    Cheese, beef jerky, clementines, hummus and jicama are some other things I brought for this week.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I made some hummus using canned butter beans. It was great. I don't like the texture of chickpeas. Anyways:

1 can drained large butter beans
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 tsp seasame oil
    Cumin and cayenne to taste. I used about tsp each
    Lemon juice. I used juice of 1/2 of a lemon

Blend and add water or chicken broth to thin out to right consistency.

I eat it with sliced cucumbers, carrots, peppers. It's also good in wraps.

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I made some hummus using canned butter beans. It was great. I don't like the texture of chickpeas. Anyways:

1 can drained large butter beans
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 tsp seasame oil
    Cumin and cayenne to taste. I used about tsp each
    Lemon juice. I used juice of 1/2 of a lemon

Blend and add water or chicken broth to thin out to right consistency.

I eat it with sliced cucumbers, carrots, peppers. It's also good in wraps.

This sounds really good, I am definitely going to try it. Thanks!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Veggies. Maybe berries or an apple from time to time. But I'm also a boredom/stress eater, and seriously just trying to cut that out has been best for me. If you are eating for reasons other than hunger, I wouldn't worry about what's filling and would go for low calories, which means veggies mostly.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    beef jerky, quest bars, popcorn, vita tops muffins (100 calories), pb2 and toast
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can eat meatballs cold :) People make turkey and pork "muffins" (also portable), I think this is the recipe
    http://sarahfit.com/turkey-meatloaf-muffins-from-jamie-eason/

(also, congrats on the job :) )
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you are boredom eating, can you do something else like take up knitting? Just to see if maybe you don't need to eat, but as long as your hands are busy?
  • livec09
    livec09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Think Thin High Protein Bars! Theyve got 2l0g of protein w no sugar, only 230 calories. I eat that and a triple zero oikos yogurt (also contains 10-15 grams protein) & I can go 8am-1pm at my desk job without getting hungry. I just discovered it this past week and bought more-
  • livec09
    livec09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    *20 grams protein
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    stop taking bags of food to work.

problem solved.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that taking your food to work is not causing you to gain weight, but eating too many calories for your activity level probably is. Is the issue that you are eating too much food which is available at work, or you are taking too much food with you?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that taking your food to work is not causing you to gain weight, but eating too many calories for your activity level probably is. Is the issue that you are eating too much food which is available at work, or you are taking too much food with you?

Well, OP is eating too many calories via taking foods to work, so it's a distinction without a difference imo. This is how the problem looks for her.
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I work Event Security and am on my feet for sometimes 6 hours or more and with little chance for a break sometimes. So what I started doing is before an event I eat a Tortilla...my recipe is simple enough. I use Flatout Tortillas (usually the one with Flaxseed but they have different varieties), I put spinach, sliced turkey breast, Crystal Farms Liquid Egg whites and cheese). Heat it up. It roughly has something like 30 grams of protein and only 400 calories. And it will keep me full during my entire event.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I work Event Security and am on my feet for sometimes 6 hours or more and with little chance for a break sometimes. So what I started doing is before an event I eat a Tortilla...my recipe is simple enough. I use Flatout Tortillas (usually the one with Flaxseed but they have different varieties), I put spinach, sliced turkey breast, Crystal Farms Liquid Egg whites and cheese). Heat it up. It roughly has something like 30 grams of protein and only 400 calories. And it will keep me full during my entire event.

This sounds awesome!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    This will initially sound weird but TRY IT first...
    Carrot sticks and celery can be a bit boring on their own...but I've found that with a good salsa, they're pretty tasty. Salsa itself is low-cal unless you get some sugary variation...it's usually that big bag of tortilla chips you have WITH the salsa that's the problem. :p

And you're getting antioxidants from the tomato as a bonus...

We also just got a "YoNana" machine...that lets you make soft-serve-ish "ice cream" from bananas and also sorbet from frozen fruit. I've yet to try the banana-based stuff yet but we did sorbet with it yesterday and it was TASTY. So if you want to invest in one, that's an option possibly...
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep when you aren't at work? When I worked nights, I found that I was a terrible snacker because I wasn't getting enough sleep during the day and I felt like I had to get energy from somewhere to stay awake.

I like to drink something hot like tea. That makes me feel fuller. Popcorn is a great option since it is pretty low calorie and you can eat a lot. Plus, it is basically a whole grain which fills you up. Maybe take some cheese and turkey pepperoni to go with it?
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yeah I like to mix it up. Sometimes I add bacon to it or Ham instead of Turkey. It takes all of 5 mintues to make.