Rcovering from surgery

Options
Good afternoon fellow MFP's
I have taken quite a break from logging my progress for a few months. I am now recovery from major foot surgery. I'm laid up for 6-8 weeks in an air cast - no weight bearing. I've cut my calories after a few weeks of splurging but I can just feel the flab taking over. What is a girl to do? I see the challenge to get back in shape will take even more commitment since I was super slack before the surgery. Hope I'm up to the challenge... Any suggestions???

Replies

• af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What about focusing on ab and arm routines along with your calorie deficit? When my plantar fasciitis flares I start using machines like the arm bike. Are you allowed to swim?
  • dmdeubel24
    dmdeubel24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    At this point I can bearly shower. I can't drive and no gym for at least a month. I. started physical last week. That's slow I can only walk with crutches and put 10% weight on my foot. I'm proud of myself I have added free weights for my arm strength in between foot reps. I can feel a little burn that's good. I know now is the perfect time to get into a routine since I'm not working and have nothing but time on my hands.
    What kind of ab work can I do without using my feet? Thanks for your response. I wish you much success towards your goal
  • Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Had surgery myself less than a week ago. I was so bloated from the experience that it looked like I gained back every pound I had lost in the last two and a half months. I'm seriously hoping that I haven't set myself back and I hate that I have 5 more weeks that I can't do anything which impacts my core. I did get permission (in a couple more weeks) to use a stationary bike or elliptical since it it low impact. Maybe trying a bike would work for you? You don't put as much pressure on your feet and it's less bouncing around.
  • dmdeubel24
    dmdeubel24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did get one of those mini peddlers you put under you desk and peddle while you work. I will check with the therapist and see if I can use it. The foot surgery was pretty extensive. I just want to find the motivation I had before but the older I get the lazier I become - seems easier as all bad things do.....why is that???
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Think you are answering your own question.
    Issue 1 the surgery= you need to talk to your physio and do it with their approval. there are workouts you can do that are non load bearing. In addition to upper body there are also cardio machines that are non load bearing. I can think of the krankl and rope machines.

Issue 2 You were super slack before the injury. Maybe you just dont like exercise or making an effort. You can diet without exercise, but all things being equal its more effective with. My suggestions are that you commit and just get on with it if the objective is importnat enough for you. The second aspect is that you cna look for exercise that maybe doesnt seem like exercise and you cna more eaily enjoy. Dancing, swimming, yoga, classes a sport, hiking. Make it enjoyable or at least seem less of a chore.