Wisdom Teeth Removal And Exercise

Options
I have to get all of my wisdom teeth removed in a couple of weeks. I'm just wondering if anybody else had to do this, and how many days did you rest? And would low impact exercises like maybe walking a couple miles be okay?

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I had it done a few years ago, surgically with anesthesia. I rested all that day and the next day. After that I'm sure low impact things will be fine. It's a painful recovery but they will most likely give you pain meds to manage. I also couldn't eat anything solid for several days.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I doubt that walking will hurt anything. According to my dentist, if you have stitches, lifting or other strength trainign routines are off limits until the stitches are out, but I have heard from others that their dr told them anything that requires serious effort is not a good idea the first couple of days, even without stitches. I was also told to not do anything that requires my head to be below body level the first week or so. To be honest, the first day or two, I was not up to doing anythign other than moan and live on painkillers. After this, it was back to normal activities.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The reason you don't want to exercise after tooth extractions is because you can disrupt the blood clot in the extraction site and cause excessive bleeding and inhibit healing. You will need to take it easy for a couple of days.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Both of my kids got their wisdom teeth out last year and both are competitive soccer players, it was 48-72 hrs of nothing vigorous post-surgery and then pretty much playing it by ear (everyone has different pain thresholds and recovery rates)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any restrictions other than 'no sucking on straws'-type ones when I had mine out, and I went under general anesthetic. Plus I was older than most - early thirties.

I would have been worthless the day of the removal, because I slept the rest of the day. But, I was good to go the day after. I had a really easy time of it. Didn't take a single pain med. A slight yellowish cast on my jaw was the only bruising I had and no dry socket.

That said, if your doc says no strenuous exercise, just keep your heart rate in the low to low-moderate range and avoid high-impact stuff and you should be fine. Walking should not be an issue.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The oral surgeon is a doctor and will you a list of instructions that you need to follow. Do follow them. As specifically about your activity level if that is a concern.

I was down and out the rest of the day. Then resumed my normal school/office work schedule. For 2-4 days I lived on tomato soup, mashed sweet potatoes and Wendy's frosty's (with a spoon, no straws!). It was fabulous. After that I was back to normal. I wasn't hitting the gym back then though. So you may miss a few days....but honestly just let yourself rest. A few days off isn't going to do anything.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I had all mine removed. And I took 2 days off of running. Fine after that.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Do not eat a hot dog an hour after the surgery. I did that and paid a horrible price LOL.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think you're supposed to take a week off or something, and then go easy for another week, as not to upset the blod clots/healing. I got my wisdom teeth out many years ago while training for half marathons; all four teeth (cut out, not pulled) and I had giant holes in my mouth for what felt like ages. Took a week off, and even at that, when I got back to running, the holes felt... weird. But everything healed just fine!

Edit: Just make sure you follow all of the directions the oral surgeon gets you. I know way too many people who got dry sockets and infections because they didn't take the directions seriously, and that *kitten* hurts.