Packing food for the day?

Options
haleynorthrup
haleynorthrup Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm thinking about starting to pre-make and pack my meals for the day and carry them around with me in a lunchbox. I'm a college student so the appeal of fast food is very high! :weary:

Money is tight, and I have limited access to a kitchen that's on my floor in my dorm. Does anyone have any meal suggestions or any suggestions in general for me? I'd like to start eating many small meals a day to help boost my metabolism.

SO! Does anyone have any ideas or would any of you guys like to share your own experiences with carrying around food and/or working at eating healthy through the day with the constant pressure of fast and CHEAP food around you? I would love to hear from any of you guys! :smile:

ALSO: I'm looking for friends on here! Feel free to shoot me a friend request I'll most definitely accept it!

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I don't get a lunch break so eating out for me isn't an option. I always pack a lunch box that I bring to work every day: Breakfast - protein bar, Lunch - Soup or a salad with chicken, snacks - nuts, fruit, veggies, protein shake
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I always meal-prep! I make sure to take 2 meals and 2 snacks to work with me. Sometimes more depending if I might have a longer workday. I make it so that I eat every 2.5 hrs. I usually use make my M-Fr meals on Sunday afternoons. Saturday and Sunday I normally just make my meals at home since I don't work weekends and have time. Good method to staying on track and eating healthy! Saves you money as well since you don't have to spend money everyday on snacks and fast food. Give it a shot.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch most work days. My fallbacks are yogurt (higher protein varieties like Greek yogurt and Noosa brand yogurt), cottage cheese, boiled eggs, and tuna packets. I'm not big on sandwiches but obviously those are good to pack too. Then I add in raw veggies and fruit and usually something like a Kashi bar. Be sure to get an ice pack or two.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I pack and carry all day too...I like food I can nibble on throughout the day. some of my favorite go to foods are: Sliced Apples, Celery (plain or with peanut butter or hummus), cucmbers (plain or with balsamic vinegar), and snap peas. for protein I either cook a chicken breast or have some deli meats. Currently at my desk I am snacking on Celery and tsatsiki.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I pack a lunch daily. It helps me control and log my meals.

Usually with a simple (no dressing) salad, proteins that I know won't go bad (nuts or nut butters, well cooked or cured meats, hard boiled eggs, beans). Cheeses (cheddar, feta, mozzarella, cream cheese) seems to travel well.

I do have a nice thermos that I can fill with oatmeal and hot water/milk powder, nuts and dried fruit etc. Stays hot enough for a few hours if I decide to have oatmeal for lunch. I hear it works great if you want to pre-pack a hot soup or other hot dish for lunch.

Also, try google search of "bento" lunches for adults. You don't need to spend money on a fancy bento box, but lots of nice ideas for pre-packing and preparing food in advance for lunches, especially those that don't need to be refrigerated, is one of the over all themes.