Need advice for setting calorie goals.

Options
I am 5'9" and have been using this site for several years to lose weight. I am around 150 pounds and work out around 4-5 times a week (running, elliptical, and/or weights/HIIT). I stepped up my weight training last week and was feeling so hungry this weekend!

I originally wanted to get to 145 (started around 195), but I think I am ok with being this weight. I would just like to improve my body composition to be leaner (lose more fat, gain muscle).

So here's my question. How do I do that? Do I set my calorie goal for losing weight or maintaining??

Thanks!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sounds like set it to maintaining and up your resistance training and cardio.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are getting ready to maintain/recomp (I'm close to that myself). Keep stepping up your weight training and gradually add about 100 calories to your daily allotment, going up another 100 every week or so until you hit maintenance.

Are you doing a program with the weights, or just following a machine circuit at your gym?
  • Christismylife
    Christismylife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am using fitness blender videos and recently purchased some heavier adjustable Dumbbells. I get really sore from some of their videos, so I figure it's challenging me enough for now!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the threads and groups here about progressive free weight programs. There are a lot of women here that do them and they seem to be the key for successful recomposition. Bonus, it's good for your bone density, too!
  • JuanitaLynne
    JuanitaLynne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You might want to try adjusting your food a bit. High protein and try to hit those 40-30-30 percentage markers. And hit the weights. Make sure your eating enough cals to maintain your muscle gain as well, or you'll end up eating muscle with your burn, instead of fat.
  • RalfyJ90
    RalfyJ90 Posts: 17
    Options
    If you want to lose fat and keep muscle. You can take your body weight and multiply it by a number 11-14 (11 being that you have a job that requires little to no physical activity and 14 being usually being physical like construction or something like that)

That will give you your calorie needs...
    Then take 100% and divide it into your macros.
    Ex: P-40%, C-40%; F-20%=100%
    Then you will maintain your muscle by lifting the same amount of weight you've been doing.
    Some people get stronger, some people get weaker.

Hope this helps.
  • RalfyJ90
    RalfyJ90 Posts: 17
    Options
    Also intense cardio might eat up your gainz for energy while on a deficit. Try walking at an incline. Low level will not use your muscle for energy just stored carbs or fat.