Vegn/Raw Vegan/Raw till 4 Lifestyles

Options
2»

Replies

• celueste
    celueste Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Raw till 4 is fully sustainable. I've been doing to most of my pregnancy. GO FRUIT YOURSELF!
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I went raw vegan about two years ago and lost 20lbs in a month and most of my self-respect. I don't think that sort of diet is sustainable long term. For a few months, sure, even a year maybe, but I have never met a raw vegan who didn't operate on some strange space-cadet level mentally due to b12 deficiencies.
  • ES110791
    ES110791 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan and I don't strictly follow raw till 4. I didn't even do it intentionally but lately I have been having big fruit meals for nearly every breakfast/lunch and I do notice that those meals are really satisfying and there's a noticeable drop in my cravings for refined sugar (mostly chocolate) so for someone with a sweet tooth it's awesome. For me, protein and fat is still important and i'd never label the way I eat because it changes, but I do really enjoy eating like this. It makes me feel really good, healthy, satiated, and gives me heaps of energy. It's only been a few weeks but eating other food has started to get less appealing because I just always feel like fresh fruit.

Not sure about how it affects weight though because i'm not trying to lose weight. I do sometimes worry whether i'm overloading on sugar and the good effects won't last or that i'm doing damage because as I said, it hasn't been very long. I'm trying not to worry about it because i'm coming from an eating disorder background and rather than obsessing over what is or isn't healthy i'm just trying to eat in a way that makes me feel good. This does, but I haven't done that much research into it.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have been Rawtil4 for a month now and I am really enjoying it, it is quite liberating not to have to be obsessed with counting calories. I happen to love fruit and veggies and so I am not finding it restrictive at all. However, I do take a B12 supplement. After a lot of reading, in my opinion I think there is too much emphasis placed on protein in diet. Hemp protein powder is one way of boosting the protein levels if it is issue. I will be continuing.

Have you seen Jim Morris , the 78 year old vegan body builder!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/29/vegan-male-bodybuilder_n_4560059.html

'Studies show that vegetarians and vegans live, on average, six to 10 years longer than meat-eaters and that they’re less likely to suffer from common, chronic illnesses.'
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    So where is the protein and fat? It sounds really gimmicky to me and not sustainable at all
    [/quote

Sounds this way to me too. I'd never give up meat, especially red meat. Never.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with being vegan (or vegetarian) but only fruit until 4 and then a high-carb fat-free meal sounds like a recipe for disaster - your body needs protein and fat.

Also just wanted to mention that gluten-free isn't healthier unless you're actually intolerant.
  • lhopex3
    lhopex3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Raw till 4!! You won't regret it. Digestion is so important for the absorption of vitamins, minerals, and overall comfort during digestion. Proper digestion can stave digestion problems in the future, too! I highly encourage Raw till 4 because our bodies love love love the vitamins, minerals, and easy digestion.

Remember, food combination is king. Eat fruits as a monomeal in the morning and you'll be feeling satisfied and energized. If you combine fruit with anything else (i.e. grains and proteins - especially proteins), your body can't digest the sugars, which can easily become more concentrated and toxic in the gut. Fruit should be eaten in isolation at least an hour before anything else or an hour after. Monomeals in general are great, no matter what.

Make sure you're eating vegetables in the afternoon, don't stick with fruit all day - sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, which can onset many health issues, even stress (even though we may deny that!)

Being vegan has many benefits, but you need to make sure you're taking a B12 supplement and possibly iron, there vitamins are essential and mostly found in meat. I suggest you ease into being a vegetarian first and see how your body reacts, then move onto vegan. I did that and my body appreciated eating vegetarian, but was screaming at me when I switched to being vegan for my own unique reasons.

Let me know if you have any questions :)
  • lhopex3
    lhopex3 Posts: 12
    Options
    So where is the protein and fat? It sounds really gimmicky to me and not sustainable at all
    [/quote

Sounds this way to me too. I'd never give up meat, especially red meat. Never.

For vegans, protein and fat comes primarily from nuts and seeds, as well as healthy grains like brown rice and quinoa, which are also great extras on any meal. If meats an option, chicken and seafood are the best. Red meat presents a risk of cancer (look it up) and has a MASSIVE carbon footprint. Most people don't consider what they eat to be affecting the environment...however

- 1/3 of greenhouse gases are created from the food industry (unsustainable choices, processing, freezing, packaging, long transportation routes)
    - meat alone (primarily beef) emits more greenhouse gases than the ENTIRE transportation sector
    - and 1/3 of non-frozen land in the world is used to raise animals, not to mention the immense amount of water they use
    - most of the crops in the U.S. are UNEDIBLE by humans and used to feed animals, primarily beef herds. I lived in Wisconsin for some time and it was amazing that there was not one edible plant within 100 miles of where I was living, yet it was all farmland

Eating beef can be OK if it is in moderation, or if the environment/future health is not something that is of concern, which is actually applicable for many people.
  • indiechic927
    Options
    I've recently began this lifestyle, and, although living in Korea makes it rough for me to eat vegan 100% of the time, I do get about 95% of my intake from fruit and carbs (all plant-based), and I have noticed a leaner more energetic and thoughtful self. :) I love it and agree that it is a good way to go. Our bodies are built to live this way, in my opinion. <3<3<3
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So raising a dead thread. Strong first post.

I wonder if the OP would like to come back and report their success or failure with their attempt.
  • sainttiffany
    sainttiffany Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    lhopex3 wrote: »
    Remember, food combination is king. Eat fruits as a monomeal in the morning and you'll be feeling satisfied and energized. If you combine fruit with anything else (i.e. grains and proteins - especially proteins), your body can't digest the sugars, which can easily become more concentrated and toxic in the gut. Fruit should be eaten in isolation at least an hour before anything else or an hour after. Monomeals in general are great, no matter what.

Make sure you're eating vegetables in the afternoon, don't stick with fruit all day - sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, which can onset many health issues, even stress (even though we may deny that!)

Being vegan has many benefits, but you need to make sure you're taking a B12 supplement and possibly iron, there vitamins are essential and mostly found in meat. I suggest you ease into being a vegetarian first and see how your body reacts, then move onto vegan. I did that and my body appreciated eating vegetarian, but was screaming at me when I switched to being vegan for my own unique reasons.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Any good sources that you get this type of information from? I'm curious to read more about food-combining. I sort of think it sounds fake, but if it works, why not!

(Also this is a sorta bump.)
  • Countrykindacrazy
    Options
    I did raw till 4 last year and lost so much weight eating 2,000 to 3,000 calories a day. I think it is a good lifestyle for people that have BED because even though you eat mainly fruit, you can eat as much as you want. It is hard to overeat on fruit as they are full of water and pass through your system so fast.

I recently restarted raw till 4, transitioning into vegan. And I've been losing fast. I wanna see what it does to me and my body on the long term. Short term I'd say it is good!
  • lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    oh AND also there is no calorie restriction you can eat as much as you want as long as you want until you are absolutely full and satisfied. I eat more now than before while working with a personal trainer eating "lean meats" and what not. I have also lost more weight than when I was on my other life styles.

Ditto!! Love this lifestyle!!! I have been having the odd treat like this weekend it was my 30th so I had a piece of chocolate cake (not the raw/healthy kind!!) and while it tasted good, I felt awful and sooo tired after.....all I'm craving now are fruits and veggies and I love it!! I also have waaaay more energy for my runs, it's a fantastic lifestyle :-)