PCOS and Weight Loss

Options
Okay, ladies, does anyone here have any tips and tricks with losing weight with PCOS? I'm struggling.

Replies

• ctgarv15
    ctgarv15 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm there with you. Before kids I was 115 on a bad day and after three kids 80 pounds and a PCOS diagnosis I can't find a way to get ahead on my weight!
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can still lose weight with PCOS I just find that it's slower. I've also heard that high carbs may slowdown progress when you have PCOS but I have it and have been losing weight and I overeat my carbs. I was set for two lbs a week when I first started and I lost about 1.4 to 1.6 but a loss is a loss and win for me :).

I have tried the different plans: Low carb, high fat etc and I just could not stick to them. So now I just eat what I want and lose about a lb a week.
  • julesmm44
    julesmm44 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree. I've lost 15 pounds but it took 4 months even though I was set up for 2lbs per week. My progress has slowed now, but I am getting there. I also eat what I want but try stick to the caloric/percentage goals MFP sets up automatically.

I find I can only lose weight when I am exercising. I haven't had time during tax season and I haven't lost much regardless of my eating.
  • Tx_Julie_Mango
    Tx_Julie_Mango Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sorry no easy answer, you have to find out what works for you. Weight-loss is not easy, PCOS weight-loss is even hard and even through we are cysters we are not created equally. :(

For me, I've tried many things over SEVERAL years.

*Eliminating the bad- Regular Soda, Then diet soda, fruit juice; drinking more work (I still do this)
    *Flatbelly diet/ Mediterranean diet - I lost about 25 years ago but now my body doesn't want to budge on this
    *Dr Ian Smith Shred - Lost about 30 but got tried of having to eating on a ridge schedule
    *Dr Ian Smith Super-Shred - totally bombed and gained weight
    *Low carb (only works temp for me and I get tired of it quickly and the weight lost from it came back)
    *2015 I've been trying to focus on eating clean, lowering carbs especially later in the evening and eating smaller portions. Its slow but I don't feel as deprived.

Good luck on your journey ladies <3 , anyone is free to add me. :)
  • erinbell5
    Options
    I find doing a low carb diet (paleo-ish) and plenty of exercise helps me lose. Albeit slow but it does come off. If I drink alcohol, even just a little, this will stall my weight loss.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for metformin! It does wonders for women with PCOS! My endocrinologist told me it has to be at the max dose of 2000 mg for it to effectively work for PCOS though. It has some side effects that are not so pleasant...diarrhea being the main one. BUT it's totally worth it! I used to starve myself and kill myself in the gym and I continued to gain weight. Now that I'm on metformin I've lost a TON of weight while eating more and exercising less!

Oh...to help minimize the diarrhea keep your overall carb intake fairly low.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Calorie reduction and weight lifting has worked for me. I do eat lower carb...<100 usually because I had blood sugar issues I'm trying to correct/keep in check, but generally I do the same things everyone else does to lose weight whether they have PCOS or not.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've worked with women that have PCOS to help them lose weight. It does take longer due to PCOS so don't get frustrated. Keep taking those small steps each day and stay the course. The solutions that have shown successful in those I've worked with:
    high protein, low carb, normal fat intakes (no more than 130-145g of carbs daily, take in the bulk of the carbs early in the day and taper them off toward evening/dinner)
    Lift weights and do 1-2 sessions of cardio each week
    Eliminate sodas/soft drinks etc and drink plenty of water (I recommend 96 ounces per day)
    Cut your sugar intake (I know I'll get flamed for that one but just read the link below)
    Eat whole grains

Link for more info:
    http://www.pcosnutrition.com/index.php?pID=11
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS but I have no issues with weight if I eat the right amount of calories..
    But I've heard that people recommend low carb diets and no refined carbs.Also,do you have insulin resistance? I have it and I feel hungry all the time because of it..You could get a prescription for managing your insulin levels,it could help
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more, just like everybody else, the basics do not change because of PCOS. If you are also insulin resistant, then discuss with your dr if you need to monitor how you distribute your carbs throughout the day.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Eat less, move more, just like everybody else, the basics do not change because of PCOS. If you are also insulin resistant, then discuss with your dr if you need to monitor how you distribute your carbs throughout the day.

You're right that the basics are not any different. The problem with women with PCOS (and people with other metabolic syndromes) is that it can be quite difficult to really understand the number of calories we need to be taking in, in order to be ina deficit. We burn calories slower and thus cannot rely on traditional calculators to be the be all end all like a person with a typical metabolism could.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    hsmith0930 wrote: »

You're right that the basics are not any different. The problem with women with PCOS (and people with other metabolic syndromes) is that it can be quite difficult to really understand the number of calories we need to be taking in, in order to be ina deficit. We burn calories slower and thus cannot rely on traditional calculators to be the be all end all like a person with a typical metabolism could.

According to every single endocrinologist I have seen the last 22 years since my original diagnosis, no. We burn calories just like everyone else. We tend to accumulate fat in the tummy area, which is a bit unusual for a woman and the fat clings to that area, it will be the last place to lose the fat, even if you end up having very low body fat, but we do nto defy the laws of physics: when we move like everyone else, we burn the same calories.
  • melorastar
    melorastar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    First of all massive hug! Its so hard to lose weight anyway, let alone PCOS being a huge pain in the process. Everyone has their own food preferences and methods of losing weight which is always a given =)

I do find that Metformin helps, but ONLY if you eat borderline healthily and within moderate restricted calories. When I began on it, I was continuing to eat more than I should have, resulting in no improvement. But once I came off Metformin it I coincidently gained around 1 and a half stone in a matter of 3 months. Since then I now take Metformin three times a day (before it had been two) with meals, along with restricted calories and it has made weight loss generally better, although it took about two months to take proper effect.

I also hate doing low carb because I love carbs too much and are usually a staple for most of my meals, but on the upside my doctors tell me that although my weight is a big problem, my blood pressure is always an A+, so I don't know if my high carb diet is to thank for that but it's a huge relief. However its always down to the person, most people I know who do the dukan diet really stick to it and enjoy it, and lose weight too. It is also so important to exercise, whether it be going to the gym or just walking everywhere, walking has made a huge difference in my life and helping me in my journey for sure. My phone tracks my steps and adds it to my MFP which has been a huge help =D

PCOS does make things slower but its always worth it in the end - it's about the journey!

• mariaj1966
    mariaj1966 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Melorastar-I have pcos and take metform as I'm now type 2 diabetic ( and thyroxine as my thyroid dosen't work either !!) .. I have to exercise three times a week or don't lose weight. I keep to have no more than 1200 calories / low carb diet .. how much metformin do you take daily?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    hsmith0930 wrote: »

According to every single endocrinologist I have seen the last 22 years since my original diagnosis, no. We burn calories just like everyone else. We tend to accumulate fat in the tummy area, which is a bit unusual for a woman and the fat clings to that area, it will be the last place to lose the fat, even if you end up having very low body fat, but we do nto defy the laws of physics: when we move like everyone else, we burn the same calories.

Studies have shown that women with pcos have lower than average bmrs, whether or not they are insulin resistance.

One such study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372) found that the control group's average bmr was 18xx, pcos w/o ir was 14xx, and pcos w/ir was 1100.

It's not impossible to lose weight with pcos but it does take work to find what works for you. I get too hungry to cut calories under 1700 when trying to lose so I workout 6 days a week. Other women might not mind eating less so they don't workout as much. I'm eating more carbs now but when cutting I stay moderately low--100g or so. It's really important to experiment and see what works for you.
  • mhulgan
    mhulgan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There is a PCOS group on here that you might want to join. Everyone is super supportive!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Low carb, metformin and a calorie deficit has worked for me.
  • Nati_Jean
    Nati_Jean Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've known I have PCOS since before my first daughter was born, but didn't really struggle with it until after my second daughter came along.

It's taken me a year to lose, and now I'm 7 lbs from goal, though at a healthy weight. I've tried a lot of things, and we are all different, but here's what's worked for me:

1) smaller deficit, more food, more exercise. I need it to keep my energy up. I both run and lift heavy.
    2) birth control pills. I take these and something for my skin.

FWIW, I find I have the most energy (leading to better food choices and more exercise) when I eat pretty balanced macros -- 30% protein, 35% carb, 35% fat.

You can do it. It's just slower for us. I do believe there's some magic in moving more.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Food scale
    Log your food honestly and consistently
    Metformin
    Birth control
    Exercise (cardio and weight training)
    Low(er) carb (no simple carbohydrates… complex carbs only)
  • jezebellle23
    jezebellle23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I knew I had pcos before I was sexually active in my teen years. I've been on every birth control known to man. I even tried a non hormone iud at 30 ( I smoked and was over weight) which sadly was a HORRIBLE mistake. Now approaching 35, I've found some balance. In my own personal opinion and trials and errors..my Carb intake has had a lot to do with weight gain than just calories. I have found that when I let go of carb intake more than just calories...the weight comes on. I have, in my 20's lost tons of weight on Atkins...but slowly gained it back. Now, being more aware of my diet, when I carb cycle and hit the weights, I can drop fat and keep muscle. Mind you my lifestyle of enjoying cocktails and indulging dieting football season/holidays, my weight creeps up, I've found,that going back to moderately low carb eating, allows me to drop the extra fat when I put my mind and body to it. I'm still taking birth control, enjoying lower carb cocktails, enjoying a cheat day and hitting the gym for mostly weights and I know...my body will know what to do. I find that my cramping and pain and also mood is improved when I eat less carbs. I hope this helps. I still enjoy my life of lavish...but have to pay attention to my carb addiction and pass up the pasta and dark beer.

Good luck!