Total calorie vs net calorie

Options
I'm trying to lose weight, going from 20% fat to 15%. I exercise regularly and meet with a trainer twice a week. My question is, do I need to eat back those calories I burn at the gym, or am I safe with limiting intake to 1750 calories? (currently at 175 lb.)
I started trying to lose weight a few months back, although I've only been counting my calories for a month (and I plan to stick with it.) I know this process could take months or even years, but I just want to see opinions of other folks who have had success with calorie counting.

Replies

• CJohn364
    CJohn364 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's best to not eat back your exercise calories, or only eat a portion of them. I've been trying to stick with the 1750 and leave my exercise calories alone. That being said, however, listen to your body. If it's hungry, feed it with good food choices. I hope this helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    That depends on where you're getting your calorie goal from and what method you are using. The only reason you "eat back" calories with MFP is because you are not supposed to include exercise in your activity level...just your day to day hum drum...so when you exercise, you have to account for that activity somewhere which is why you log it and get calories to "eat back".

If you're getting your calorie goals elsewhere, it is likely that you are using the TDEE method which would already include some estimate of your exercise in your activity level and thus accounts for exercise already...so "eating back" would be double dipping if they're already included in your calorie goal.

Given that you're a male, 1750 is likely the goal you get from MFP which is net...which means you should be eating back some estimate of your exercise calories...you just have to be careful not to overestimate.

Part of being healthy and fit is learning to properly fuel your workouts...exercise is good for you...it's also hard on the body and energy (calories) and nutrients are required for repair. I'm a 5'10" male over 40 and I cut easily eating anywhere from 2000 - 2300 gross calories...usually I"m on the higher end.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    CJohn364 wrote: »
    It's best to not eat back your exercise calories, or only eat a portion of them. I've been trying to stick with the 1750 and leave my exercise calories alone. That being said, however, listen to your body. If it's hungry, feed it with good food choices. I hope this helps.

Why do you think it's best not to eat back those exercise calories when the site is clearly designed for you to do that and your calorie allowance is calculated assuming that you will?

OP - please read this..
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    eat them back or don't it does not really matter the only thing that matters is that you're in a calorific deficit, and your loosing weight at a sustainable rate. if your note eating the exercise calories back then you jut need to average out your total energy expenditure.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That depends on where you're getting your calorie goal from and what method you are using. The only reason you "eat back" calories with MFP is because you are not supposed to include exercise in your activity level...just your day to day hum drum...so when you exercise, you have to account for that activity somewhere which is why you log it and get calories to "eat back".

If you're getting your calorie goals elsewhere, it is likely that you are using the TDEE method which would already include some estimate of your exercise in your activity level and thus accounts for exercise already...so "eating back" would be double dipping if they're already included in your calorie goal.

Given that you're a male, 1750 is likely the goal you get from MFP which is net...which means you should be eating back some estimate of your exercise calories...you just have to be careful not to overestimate.

Part of being healthy and fit is learning to properly fuel your workouts...exercise is good for you...it's also hard on the body and energy (calories) and nutrients are required for repair. I'm a 5'10" male over 40 and I cut easily eating anywhere from 2000 - 2300 gross calories...usually I"m on the higher end.

Basically this. I'm a 5'4" 135lb girl and I'm losing steadily on a NET of 1660 a day. Don't underestimate what your body needs to fuel your workouts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What CWolfman said....if you got 1750 from MFP....then zero exercise was included. By not eating calories back, you are making your weekly weight loss goal higher than intended.

TDEE will include exercise.....so you would eat that number less the desired deficit.

"Listening to your body" ....ugh. I don't know about you, but I'm here (in part) because I don't "listen" very well. Besides, hunger is not a good indicator of proper nutrition.
  • amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I set the calorie goal myself, based on advice that I read on Something Awful forums. They recommend that for moderate weight loss I should eat 10x calories in body weight lbs: 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (that comes out to 40% protein in my case), and the rest should be a mix of good carbs and fats. But more opinions are always welcome.

I'm not sure what TDEE is, the method I use for counting calories is just to weigh everything down to the gram and use the app to calculate the totals.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You can use an online calculator to figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Your TDEE is the amount your body burns in a day including all of your physical activity, like exercise.

I really like this detailed calculator: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
    But here's a simpler one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Generally, you want to subtract 10-20% of your TDEE for healthy weight loss. With this method, you do not eat back your exercise calories, because you already factored them in.

The other option is to let MFP set your calorie goal for you. This method will NOT include exercise calories (as you only report your normal daily activities, not including exercise), so you should eat your exercise calories back if you do this.

here's a helpful thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants