Question about changing up your routine

Options
So it's common knowledge you should change up your routine but does that includes weights? Isn't adding more weights after awhile good enough or do you have to switch between leg presses and bench presses each month for example

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It depends on one's goal. A powerlifter, for example, will always need to do bench presses. For general fitness & conditioning though, it's good to rotate exercises periodically, to emphasize different skills & muscles. For example, switching between barbell squats and goblet squats, or the bench press and the standing cable press. The leg press & bench press are different muscle groups, so that's not a proper switch.
  • patriciahutchinson89
    patriciahutchinson89 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh ok that's what I want to know. I work my biceps and triceps. Leg presses and lift 60 lb weights on a machine called the abdominal. I've increased weights in those areas and don't want to lose the strength I got. My personal goals are toning. Able to lift 70 to 90 pounds with my arms, 200 with legs.
  • patriciahutchinson89
    patriciahutchinson89 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sorry I should clairfy the weights above are my future goals. Now it's 40 lbs with my arms and 110 pounds with my legs
  • jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I havent switched up my routine in 3 yrs. If it works, why change it? Yes you need to increase the weights as you get stronger but that's about it.