Need Advice on Fitness Plan - Goal is Weight/Fat Loss

Options
Hi All,

My goal is to lose 30 pounds - would like advice on the best approach for fitness and fat loss. I have a gym membership - was thinking I would go daily (mainly to re-enforce the habit.) I've am eating at a deficit of 300- 500 calories per day but need to increase my activity level.

Planning to do:

45-60 minutes low impact cardio, i.e., cycling, elliptical or treadmill and
Circuit Training - rotate upper body one day, lower body the next...

Is this a good plan... too much ??? not enough ??? Should Circuit Training be done before or after Cardio???

Thoughts/Suggestions appreciated!!

Replies

• jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do weight training than cardio. I dont think i can lift weights after doing an hour of cardio. If you're in a deficit, you should lose weight regardless of how much cardio you do. I think an hour cardio is too much but everyone is different. Try it and track it. Dont like the results? adjust and try again till you're happy with it.

Good luck.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Exercise helps you build on health and fitness (strength, muscle mass, endurance, cardiovascular, mobility, etc). If you don't care what you lose (muscle vs fat), then stick with medium or high intensity cardio. If you want to retain muscle lift heavy (not circuit training).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot, to go from no exercise to over an hour, 7 days a week.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot, to go from no exercise to over an hour, 7 days a week.

Agreed, do you suggest every other day? I currently walk 30 minutes a day but am not seeing a loss and do not want to drop calories lower. Also, should clarify I plan to rest weekends so only 5 day/week and cardio will be low intensity 65%-70% max.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I think they're saying to ramp up slower. For example, 30 minutes of cardio the first week, 40 minutes the next, 50 the next, etc.

I would do full-body strength training every 2-3 days, and cardio on your non-strength days, with a day of rest each week. For strength training, follow a pro-designed, freeweight-based program (NROL, Stronglifts, personal trainer, etc). Strength before cardio for safety and proper effort level. 5 minutes on the elliptical or rower is a good warmup for lifting though.
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I think they're saying to ramp up slower. For example, 30 minutes of cardio the first week, 40 minutes the next, 50 the next, etc.

I would do full-body strength training every 2-3 days, and cardio on your non-strength days, with a day of rest each week. For strength training, follow a pro-designed, freeweight-based program (NROL, Stronglifts, personal trainer, etc). Strength before cardio for safety and proper effort level. 5 minutes on the elliptical or rower is a good warmup for lifting though.

Got it... sounds like a great plan... thanks!