Fitbit calories

Options
I'm confused about how the Fitbit calories burned transfers to mfp. For example, my Fitbit says I burned 1035 but on mfp it says 23. How is this calculated?

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    The fitbit calories are what you have burned in addition to what MFP already calculated you would burn. For instance, MFP calculates I burn 1780 in a day.... so if based on my activity, Fitbit says I will burn 1800 today, it will add 20 calories.
  • Kristink_Vaughn
    Kristink_Vaughn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So do I not need to any any exercise to mfp? Fitbit will do it automatically?
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Fitbit will add your exercise calories in for you :)
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You do not need to add any steps. If you do additional exercise (such as biking) that your fitbit does not record, you can add that to MFP. When you add an exercise to MFP, I believe that those calories are overwritten by the activity that you entered.

Also, you can enable negative calorie adjustments. When you do this, MFP takes away calories if you don't move enough. Some people like that, and some people don't.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'll use my #s as an example.

MFP thinks I'll burn 1768/day. This is based on my height, weight, age, gender and my setting of lightly active. 1768 works out to 73.67 per hour. Mfp assumes my burn rate should be the same for each hour.

I last synced at 4:50 pm, there were just over 7 hours left in the day. At 4:50pm Fitbit said I'd already burned 1097, and based on that 73.67/hr my Fitbit end of day is projected to be 1625. Which is less than 1768 (MFP) and so I have not earned extra calories. If my 4:50 sync had shown my actual burn at 1500, then I'd have ~250 extra calories earned. Though that would ultimately adjust downward when you consider at some point tonight, assuming I go to bed before midnight, I'm going to only burn BMR (which is more like 56/hour) when I go to bed.

*I will get in a good bit of activity tonight. So then the values will update.