What's your opinion - Does sparkling water count as water?

Options
I really like La Croix waters, especially the berry and lime flavors. They're just carbonated water with a little natural flavoring (no calories, sweeteners, sodium, etc.), but do they count as your "water" intake? How about iced tea?

I'm on the fence with sparkling water, but I personally don't think iced tea counts (though I couldn't really tell you why).

Do you think they count?

Replies

• JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Do they hydrate you ? Then yes, they count.

If they contain caffeine I would be more on the fence as that is a diuretic
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says flavored water , sparkling or not, counts and so does unsweetened tea!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Of course it does. Anything with water in it - which is virtually every beverage - counts as water.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    why wouldn't sparkling water count as water? It is water...with some CO2 shot in there.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Yes. For that matter, coffee and soda count as water.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Of course it counts. It's water...
  • MissusHay
    MissusHay Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I've read that somehow the carbonation messes with the availability or something hokey like that, hence my uncertainty. Silly interwebs, confusing us gullible folk... ;)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Does it have water in it?
  • KelliP5
    KelliP5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The Sparkling Ice-Cherry Limeade is sooo good AND it helped me kick the sodas!
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I count sparkling water toward my water intake :) I also count fruit/herbal teas which I drink a lot of & sugar free cordial/squash diluted with water.

I personally don't count canned fizzy drinks, fruit juice or milk.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    yes
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MissusHay wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. I've read that somehow the carbonation messes with the availability or something hokey like that, hence my uncertainty. Silly interwebs, confusing us gullible folk... ;)

Yeah that's hokey. The carbonation comes from carbonic acid (H2CO3) which turns into water (H20) and carbon dioxide (CO2) with time, which causes the bubbles and your burps.
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It definitely counts towards your water intake. I LOVE sparkling flavored waters... but don't like the bloated feeling that carbonated beverages give me.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Anything that is made of mostly water counts: seltzer water, soda, tea, iced tea, coffee. iced coffee, even juice and milk count.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I would count virtually any liquid but I don't log water/drinks. Over eating made me fat, not water.
  • arkham_ma
    arkham_ma Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Over eating made me fat, not water.

I wish there was a "like" button for posts like this :)

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The clue is where it says water. The recommended daily amount relates to fluid which includes things like tea and coffee or anything which hydrates.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water would count as water. It even says it right in the name.
    Ice tea would not count. I buy the powedered kind. It contains no H20, therefore not water.

cinnamon_challenge_by_caseyjones003-d4jmkjh.gif
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha that iced tea powder almost made me spit my water at my computer!