Frozen chicken breasts defrosted then put in the slow cooker?

Options
lucyrdgibson
lucyrdgibson Posts: 3 Member
Hi,
I was wondering if I could cook chicken breasts that were bought frozen (as they are cheaper) in the slow cooker to prevent the rubberyness that often comes with frozen chicken breasts. As slow cookers tenderise the meat my theory is that it would work. Obviously before beginning cooking i would defrost the chicken.
Just wondered if anyone else has tried this and if it improves the taste and texture?
x

Replies

• wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've used frozen chicken in the slow cooker before. One of my recipes actually calls for it to be frozen and it's usually falling off the bone and not rubbery at all but I haven't tried JUST chicken.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    you dont have to defrost the chicken even, i make shredded chicken for my hubby ( I dont eat meat) by throwing a few breasts in the crock with about an inch of water, and a packet of taco seasoning. I let it cook all day, and shred with 2 forks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think it is safer to defrost first. Nearly all my chicken starts out frozen.

I like the schnitzel method of chicken tenderization. Very direct and very German.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I use frozen chicken all the time because I buy family packs at cheaper cost,and then split into frees able portions I wanttocookwith. Never had themberubbery- and hubby is a chef- he would tell if they were. I think rubbery happens from over cooking or freezer burn, not from proper freezing.
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I put it in there frozen with some Ro-tel. Once it's cooked (3-4 hours), drain most of the Ro-tel off, take it out and shred it, then add taco seasoning. So good for chicken soft tacos or other chicken dishes!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I just had some chicken today from the crock pot it is very moist. I have never had any rubber chicken no matter how I cooked it though. We have chicken on quite a few ways every week.
  • pottiegirl
    pottiegirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used frozen chicken tenders and breast in slow cooker all the time. No problems. I often use chicken tenders, success brown rice, one cup of water and two cans of cream of chicken soup. Let cook for 8 to 9 hours while at work.... after cooking just cut chicken into pieces and stir up the rest and serve with salad..
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I use frozen chicken, pork chops etc. They come out tender and completely cooked(9 hours). Just separate them when they get warm so they cook evenly. Use something like healthy cream of mushroom or chicken soup. Yum!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use the frozen chicken in the crockpot, seems to come out juicer and more "roasted" flavored!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I find that most chicken, if boneless and already thawed, gets very dry when cooked in the crockpot for anything longer than 4 hours. Since I mostly use my crockpot on weekdays when I'm out of the house for 10+ hours and we don't eat dinner till closer to 11 hours after I put it on, chicken is not usually a good choice. However, on weekends, when I do meal prep, I have used frozen chicken breasts, cooked them in whatever recipe I am using for about 4-6 hours, and those turn out really well.