Forever the fatty

Options
Hi all!!

I have been on my weight loss journey for coming up to 6 months now and have lost 28.5kgs so far. I am super proud of myself and generally feel great. Having said that I find I still think of myself as 'the fat girl'.

I have struggled with my self image for my whole life. When I was a healthy 60kg when I was younger I thought I was the fattest, most disgusting person in the world. I got up to 70kg after Year 12 and for once was actually ok with my body. I still hated my legs and some clothes made me feel fat but really that was the happiest I had ever been with my body.

I was hoping that after having gotten all the way up to 104kg and weighing 75.5kgs currently I would appreciate my body more and be happier and more confident in how I look. That's not really the case though.

I was wondering who else feels this way, what other's have done to help change their image of themselves to stop feeling like a fatty all of the time and to start appreciating what they have, celebrate the changes they've made and accept the changes that still need to be made or the areas that they are unhappy with.

Replies

• hannahrgilbert
    hannahrgilbert Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I often feel this way, but everyday I look at myself and point out things that I enjoy about myself, I wear clothes that flatter my body and compliment me. It's not much but it works for me.
  • rsmrodgers
    rsmrodgers Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've always suggested to women to look at themselves in front of a mirror naked and point out three things that you love about your appearance. Choose things that you feel are sexy and make you feel like the women you've become.
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I went prom dress shopping with my daughter over the weekend. I try to avoid mirrors but caught a glimpse of myself ... in a grossly oversized t-shirt and very baggy and unflattering jeans. (Now, I thought I was wearing tight clothes.) I saw myself the way others probably see me (frumpy) because I am still hiding the body I am ashamed of. If I wore clothes that actually fit ... I'd be 100 times more attractive. But hate the thought of trying on clothes! So, I do think it takes EFFORT to change perception of yourself. I'm a work in progress for that.
  • jirisg92
    jirisg92 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the oposite problem, I loose 10 lbs and I think I look amazing lol a little too much perhaps cause that's when I usually end up going to my old bad habits.
    Maybe comparing some before and afters would help you mentally to see how far you've come.