Carbs under 100g a day

Options
What has been your results staying in the 50-100 range. I find that amount to be the most manageable for my lifestyle and I don't feel as deprived. My carbs usually come from snacks (yogurt, kind bars) and post workout fuel (peanut butter on bread).

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I find that under 50 I don't get hungry, ever. Over 60 I'm fully kicked out of ketosis, and then I feel hunger again. Right now I stay around 22 net, since I'm actively losing again instead of maintaining. Normally I stay around 40ish. The number is different for everyone.

I've maintained for about 13 years, gained for 2 when I was sick and stopped paying attention to the details, now 40 down again staying strict and weighing/measuring.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I do not have any medical conditions requiring monitoring of carbs and I enjoy carbs too much to limit myself this way, so I have no results to share. Other than I've been able to lose weight and stay satiated on 200+g of carbs just fine along with a combo of proper fat/protein and reasonable caloric intake goal.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I eat ~400g a day. Haha.
  • Imanapeman
    Imanapeman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What has been your results staying in the 50-100 range. I find that amount to be the most manageable for my lifestyle and I don't feel as deprived. My carbs usually come from snacks (yogurt, kind bars) and post workout fuel (peanut butter on bread).

I only eat about 100g of carbs a day. Enough to avoid ketosis, enough to avoid insulin spikes. It has been very beneficial.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Wow, even many people with Type 2 diabetes are advised to have 130g of carbs per day, divided evenly between three meals. Some can even have more than that.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Wow, even many people with Type 2 diabetes are advised to have 130g of carbs per day, divided evenly between three meals. Some can even have more than that.

Yes,unfortunately this is making it harder for most of them. Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution from 1997 to now also recommends lowering carbs, good veggies like Kale have 7carb a cup, and berries are the lowest (in sugars too) but have fiber to assist, it's all the processed breads, crackers and starchy potatoes, etc..so NEW research is showing forcing a nation of carb sensitive people to consume 60g+ carbs per meal is asking them to climb and ice mountain in bare feet. Many Drs in other neurophysiology areas are confirming so many carbs are not good AND indeed T2 is able to be reversed in a VLCarb diet. No matter what anyone thinks is "true'..if a diabetic is helped to health then something needs to be changed in the old, rote "eat 130 carbs a day " pushed by a nation of dietitians. Youtube os full of excellent medical research talks on the topic.

And a growing mass of pre-diabetic and high glucose citizenry will avoid T2 by looking into these findings.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Yes,unfortunately this is making it harder for most of them. Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution from 1997 to now also recommends lowering carbs, good veggies like Kale have 7carb a cup, and berries are the lowest (in sugars too) but have fiber to assist, it's all the processed breads, crackers and starchy potatoes, etc..so NEW research is showing forcing a nation of carb sensitive people to consume 60g+ carbs per meal is asking them to climb and ice mountain in bare feet. Many Drs in other neurophysiology areas are confirming so many carbs are not good AND indeed T2 is able to be reversed in a VLCarb diet. No matter what anyone thinks is "true'..if a diabetic is helped to health then something needs to be changed in the old, rote "eat 130 carbs a day " pushed by a nation of dietitians. Youtube os full of excellent medical research talks on the topic.

And a growing mass of pre-diabetic and high glucose citizenry will avoid T2 by looking into these findings.
    There is actually a growing body of research now showing that a Higher carb diet is actually good for T2 diabetes. I know by your username that you're starting from an anti carb stand point but I suggest you maybe have a look at some of this research from a more in biased standpoint
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

There is actually a growing body of research now showing that a Higher carb diet is actually good for T2 diabetes. I know by your username that you're starting from an anti carb stand point but I suggest you maybe have a look at some of this research from a more in biased standpoint

I am diabetic and I do not need to read this research. I have done trial and error on my own body and if I add too much in carbs, my sugars get way way too high. Some diabetic's can eat more, others need less. I do good with 80-100. Some diabetic's can eat apples, others can't, etc. Diabetes is an individual disease. Foods react differently on different people.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have an open food diary for those that want to take a peek. (been sick yesterday and today, so my diary is a little off)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »
    I eat ~400g a day. Haha.
    What's your daily calorie total?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I did around 100 or a bit less when I started this (I was only eating 1250 calories, though), and found it a really easy way to create a lower calorie diet, and I felt good doing it. What I did was eat unlimited veggies (which I tried to include with all meals), usually had fruit or dairy with breakfast, and included a starchy carb with only one meal, while being careful about portion size. I'm not that into bread, so for me what this meant was usually veggies and protein for lunch, veggies and protein plus potatoes/sweet potatoes or some other starchy carb (I love corn when it's in season) for dinner, but obviously that pattern is based on personal preference. I found that for me cutting back on carbs some was a good way to cut calories that I wouldn't really miss, and there are lots of lower carb/calorie veggies that can be used in place of many starchy carbs--I often eat winter squash or root veggies for that purpose or just add a second or third veggie side (Brussels sprouts instead of potatoes, perhaps).

I like eating that way, but I never really cut carbs because of an issue with hunger, so for people who do it might not work.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I, too, am not low carb. I have found anything below 200 carbs a day is very harmful to my exercise performance. But pending you do not have any medical conditions, you need to find a balance between the macronutrients that will help satiate you and maximize your results. But understand that carbs aren't what makes you gain or lose weight, it's calories that determines that.

I will say though, low carb is a very effective strategy for weight loss, but if you don't plan on doing it long term, then I wouldn't suggest it. Another thing to consider, especially if you are new and don't require a strict strategy, that it could be beneficial to start with just counting calories and as you go replace a lot of the carb heavy meals with protein/fat heavy meals.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

That part is the key....you found a level that satifies you and is sustainable. Go with what works for you.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I, too, am not low carb. I have found anything below 200 carbs a day is very harmful to my exercise performance. But pending you do not have any medical conditions, you need to find a balance between the macronutrients that will help satiate you and maximize your results. But understand that carbs aren't what makes you gain or lose weight, it's calories that determines that.

I will say though, low carb is a very effective strategy for weight loss, but if you don't plan on doing it long term, then I wouldn't suggest it. Another thing to consider, especially if you are new and don't require a strict strategy, that it could be beneficial to start with just counting calories and as you go replace a lot of the carb heavy meals with protein/fat heavy meals.

This method has helped me to differentiate between with the carbs I want versus the carbs I need. I love greek yogurt, kind bars, peanut butter sandwiches, fruit, milk, etc. Those snacks are good fuel for workouts as well as very satisfying for hunger.

But I don't need to eat bagels, pasta (which has a ridiculous amount of calories for servings). These are foods that are high in calories yet not very filling.

I'm not anti carbs, I'm just anti bad carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

This method has helped me to differentiate between with the carbs I want versus the carbs I need. I love greek yogurt, kind bars, peanut butter sandwiches, fruit, milk, etc. Those snacks are good fuel for workouts as well as very satisfying for hunger.

But I don't need to eat bagels, pasta (which has a ridiculous amount of calories for servings). These are foods that are high in calories yet not very filling.

I'm not anti carbs, I'm just anti bad carbs.

Well there are no bad carbs, only carbs or even calories that won't help you succeed. Bagels, pasta and bread can be part of a solid diet (look at my diary) but they may not be beneficial for "you" as they can easily cause you to go over your calorie limit.

• Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Bad carbs for ME=lots of calories that will have me hungry in an hour.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

That's what I was told and found it very difficult. I was hungry constantly and my blood sugar levels were all over the place. I now keep it within the 50-100 range, more 50 than 100, and things are much better.
  • missanglang
    missanglang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine under 50 or around that and I'm not hungry and I've lost 55 lbs so far. My dr suggested this to lose weight quickly as a newly diagnosed diabetic and to keep under 75 permanently once the weight is gone. My A1C has gone from almost 9 down to 6. There are times I miss some carbs but I didn't realize how bad I felt eating all the carbs until I didn't feel bad anymore. Not everyone has sugar issues but, for me, this is the solution and key for me feeling healthy.