Nutrition goal failure

I am having a little trouble hitting my nutrition goals. I thought poly and mono unsaturated fats were good for you. If they are, why are mine set at a goal of 0 intake while saturated fat is set at a goal of 23? grams? Does anyone else have trouble meeting their nutrition goals?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I only pay attention to calories, protein, fat, and carbs. Anything more encourages analysis paralysis.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    jemhh wrote: »
    I only pay attention to calories, protein, fat, and carbs. Anything more encourages analysis paralysis.

Me too.

As for the fat, I think it's set to 0 because there is no RDI.
    someone will come in an explain it better! :D

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member

ditto - and calcium
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    The saturated is a limit not a goal and it is based on a percent of total fat.

As stated, poly and mono have no RDI so hence no goal or upper limit. A lot of foods don't always list them. (Same for potassium-I am always super low on MFP but actually exceed my goal-just those crappy entries)

Focus on keeping the saturated within your limit and you're fine. Also, don't expect to hit every goal every day-it's not realistic. Look at your weekly nutrition and determine if there is something you're missing.

Last, you can always manually adjust your goals. Personally, I change my macros (protein, carbs and fat), increase my fiber and sugar goal, and always try to exceed my calcium goal.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member

Me too.
    Me three. Everything else is turned off because I don't need to pay close attention to the details.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »
    A lot of foods don't always list them. (Same for potassium-I am always super low on MFP but actually exceed my goal-just those crappy entries)

I just found this thread, after a quick search (= "potassium"), given that I was curious about whether anyone had discussed the fact that various milk and yogurt entries in the database have no potassium values entered (even if listed on the label!) -- I just discovered this today (and not long ago), after wondering how on earth my potassium values, per the MFP reporting feature, were supposedly so low, despite my being aware that I ingest quite a bit of potassium (and even if only looking at my milk and yogurt consumption).

I ended up looking at the actual 'nutrition fact' values from the database entries I'd used (for the specific milk and yogurt variants that I consume) (and I hadn't just randomly selected the entries for such -- then again, I hadn't actually checked *all* of the nutrition fact specs for each, when initially selecting them (my bad, and lesson learned)).

So I created new entries for me to use, and I went back over (and corrected) yesterday's entries for those items, just to take a peek at what the new/correct potassium-specific total ended up being, and suffice it to say, it's dramatically different. Whereas it originally indicated a supposed deficiency, I happen to be exceeding the MFP-generated goal, and by an amount that I'm happy with.

Last, you can always manually adjust your goals. Personally, I change my macros (protein, carbs and fat), increase my fiber and sugar goal, and always try to exceed my calcium goal.

Thanks for mentioning this... I somehow forgot that we can change those numbers. I should manually adjust mine in a few places, as the current associated values for a few of the specs don't currently reflect the values for my 'true' goals (including fiber (I also don't like seeing the 'displayed in red' (and looks like a highlighted 'huh oh', in a way) value for fiber in each day's food diary, given that I *want* to always exceed the default -- and it's not a bad thing! :) )).
  • ttack1579
    ttack1579 Posts: 5 Member
    The saturated is a limit not a goal and it is based on a percent of total fat.

As stated, poly and mono have no RDI so hence no goal or upper limit. A lot of foods don't always list them. (Same for potassium-I am always super low on MFP but actually exceed my goal-just those crappy entries)

Focus on keeping the saturated within your limit and you're fine. Also, don't expect to hit every goal every day-it's not realistic. Look at your weekly nutrition and determine if there is something you're missing.

• ttack1579
    ttack1579 Posts: 5 Member
    Ok, that makes more sense. I was wondering why the saturated fat would be so high. After I posted yesterday, I did figure out that I could change increments and I lowered the saturated fat.