More protein?

Options
I am trying to shed some winter weight before cycling season starts but I'm also very concerned about preserving muscle mass. Current macros are 50 carb/30 fat/20 protein but I've read some posts that suggest more protein is needed.

At 25% body fat percentage, 185 x 0.75 x 4 / 1900 = 29%!!! 1900 has worked really well as my daily calorie target as I've lost 10lb in the last 7 weeks, right on target.

I figure the safe bet is to "borrow" from both carbs and fat to push up the protein percentage, maybe 47/27/26? Thoughts?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Unless you’re lifting, the extra protein probably won’t make a difference. If you’re eating at a deficit (and not lifting heavy) you’re going to lose both.
  • jmasci20
    jmasci20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Boot camp, kick boxing, TRX - would those make a difference?
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Protein is primarily for muscle building and secondarily for energy (less efficient). All of the things your talking about are high metabolic programs, so you’re burning, not lifting. So, the short answer is, I don’t think you’ll get a lot of benefit from changing your macros.

If your main goal is fat loss, I’d just keep your calories at a deficit and any training you do should be focused on things that will improve your cycling (cross training is fine, but what does kick boxing do for you?).
  • jmasci20
    jmasci20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks Allan much appreciated. Kick boxing is probably the funnest way to burn calories in the dead of winter; at my age having fun is a big part of the motivation! I'm having a great time staying in shape at a rockin gym until the snow thaws, and just trying to tweak my macros to minimize any muscle loss until the roads are clear. The winter is a great time to trim down, certainly easier to do than when focused on training.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    I was listening to a podcast the other day and a trainer was discussing cyclists. From what he said, I am inclined to agree that cross-training is a good thing (not necessarily to make you a better cyclist, but to improve your overall fitness).