The Road Seems Long...

Options
I just started this week officially on my diet and exercise program. I went to the gym today and did lower body and abs and it really kicked my butt. In the past when I have not exercised for a while, it is always hard in the beginning. But this is ridiculous. I am so far gone from what I use to be physically. I wonder if I will ever get back to what use to be my normal. Seems like such a long road...:-(

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. After about a month of doing that you'll be so used to it will be second nature.

What you have to do now is keep going. It only gets easier.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    The road is now at least one day shorter than it was yesterday. Try to focus on that.
  • starbucktigh
    starbucktigh Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am a very, very impatient person, so I try to keep in mind a few quotes I've seen or heard:

1. You didn't gain the weight overnight, you won't lose the weight overnight.
    2. You will thank yourself 3 months from now.
    3. Each time you work out, you are giving a gift to your future self.

There are a lot of great quotes on pinterest - I keep a board of the really positive ones.
  • melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Starting over is never fun or easy but you can do it! Take it one day at a time and keep looking ahead. It may not get easier you will however get stronger!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Enjoy each day as it comes, rather than for what you want it to deliver in 3 months' or 1 year's time. Enjoy the food you eat at your next meal (within your calories) and enjoy the workout you are doing right this moment, simply because you enjoy them (food color, texture, taste, and exercise because it feels wonderful to move your body whatever size you are) rather than because they'll make you reach your goal weight.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you stay with it you WILL get back. Take it from me. I started at what was my rock bottom. Everything was hard and one day just like that I was doing hand stand push ups. Keep in mind I was not able to do one full push up when I started.

Keep at it.

This quote makes me laugh and I have repeated it often to myself:
    "Suck it up so you don't have to suck it in!" It got me through many burpees. :D

This one I just love to motivation:
    "Your body can stand almost anything...it's your mind that you have to convince."
  • wendymislivec
    wendymislivec Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. It helped to pick out a body part I do like and focus on that today.
  • LisaEloine2015
    LisaEloine2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! When I wrote that note I was so down. To come back and find all these words of encouragement. Wow, it really feels good that I am not alone! :-) I went to the gym today and worked out on the elliptical for 36 minutes - I lasted 16 minutes more than I had planned. Reading motivational words sounds like a good idea. I do have a Pinterest account. Roxiegirl - your quotes ring so true!
  • mountain01
    mountain01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You got out of bed and started, kudos! Never look back, you are truly not going that way and what good is the past when you want a brighter future?
  • LisaEloine2015
    LisaEloine2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mountain01! I went to a class today. Didn't realize it was going to be so hard. When I got home I pretty much passed out and fell asleep for 4 hours! I could feel my muscles burning...good feeling.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It gets easier and exercise is rewarding because you get noticeable progress. First few weeks are the hardest, but they are also times where you make big improvements. Keep it up.