losing steroid weight

Options
I finally got my weight and BMI at healthy levels and was happy with the mirror. Then injury happened. Steroid shots in my shoulder and oral steroids plus lack of activity have caused me to gain 7 pounds in 3 days!
Not sure how to combat this type of gain.
All I can think to do is stick with my clean eating/low carb routine and walk as much as possible while my shoulder heals.
Any advice from you guys is greatly appreciated

Replies

• killakyle420
    Options
    TammyS327 wrote: »
    I finally got my weight and BMI at healthy levels and was happy with the mirror. Then injury happened. Steroid shots in my shoulder and oral steroids plus lack of activity have caused me to gain 7 pounds in 3 days!
    Not sure how to combat this type of gain.
    All I can think to do is stick with my clean eating/low carb routine and walk as much as possible while my shoulder heals.
    Any advice from you guys is greatly appreciated

You got prescribed steroids for a shoulder injury?
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes I was prescribed steroids for a shoulder injury.
  • killakyle420
    Options
    When I had an injury I used the stationary bike for cardio about 5 days a week and that worked really good for me.
  • knepveu
    knepveu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That kind of weight gain in a very short time span while taking corticosteroids (as opposed to anabolic steroids) is not fat or body tissue weight gain; it is salt-water retention. When the steroids wear off (if injected) or you taper he dose down and get off the medication, the salt retention and accompanying water weight will go away. It is very hard to put on 7 pounds of any other kind of weight in 3 days. 1 pound of fat = 3500 Calories. Unless you are an extra 7000 Calories or more each day above your usual amount, or you were burning that many Calories before the injury and now you burn ~7000 less per day, you can't gain that much true body tissue weight in 3 days. Don't increase your intake while on corticosteroids, choose protein over carbs when you snack, and you should be fine. Unless they keep you on a lot of corticosteroids for prolonged periods....
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My teenage daughter is on steroids for asthma. She gained 12 pounds the doctors swear it's water weight (due to the rapid increase as well as comparison body fat testing they did, we were warned it was a possible side effect). They have told us it won't go away until she's off the medicine, which since I prefer my kid to be breathing is going to be long term.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    The only thing that you can do is to stay active and watch what you eat.

Walking is a great idea.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    knepveu wrote: »
    That kind of weight gain in a very short time span while taking corticosteroids (as opposed to anabolic steroids) is not fat or body tissue weight gain; it is salt-water retention. When the steroids wear off (if injected) or you taper he dose down and get off the medication, the salt retention and accompanying water weight will go away. It is very hard to put on 7 pounds of any other kind of weight in 3 days. 1 pound of fat = 3500 Calories. Unless you are an extra 7000 Calories or more each day above your usual amount, or you were burning that many Calories before the injury and now you burn ~7000 less per day, you can't gain that much true body tissue weight in 3 days. Don't increase your intake while on corticosteroids, choose protein over carbs when you snack, and you should be fine. Unless they keep you on a lot of corticosteroids for prolonged periods....

This ...so much this
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It is very hard to put on 7 pounds of any other kind of weight in 3 days. 1 pound of fat = 3500 Calories. Unless you are an extra 7000 Calories or more each day above your usual amount, or you were burning that many Calories before the injury and now you burn ~7000 less per day, you can't gain that much true body tissue weight in 3 days.
    I completely know this! It is just frustrating to go through.