Dancing suggestions?

Options
I'd like to try some form of dancing in an attempt to increase my proprioception. At least, I think it would help with that. However... I need something that
A. I can learn by myself and do at home
B. Doesn't involve explosive movements - as in, not jumping about a lot (I have hypermobility syndrome, so this wouldn't be good for me)
C. Doesn't involve a very high range of motion - so not ballet, for instance (Same reason as previous point)

There probably isn't anything that fits my criteria... worth a try though. Any suggestions?

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about bellydance? You can purchase videos from Amazon and can possibly find some youtube videos for beginners. Doesn't require a wide range of mobility, you don't jump about, and you may prefer a class to get you started but you can learn the moves on your own.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You could learn to liquid dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3T3JywC1tw
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was going to suggest Belly Dance. The only down side of doing it at home is you're not going to have anyone to make sure you're doing the proper technique. The good thing about Belly Dance is, it's for all shapes, sizes, abilities. I've danced with Teens/seniors/pregnant/majorly over weight/very thin ect.If you are not using proper technique you can hurt your lower back when doing some of the hip drops, shimmies ect. Take your time choosing one. Some of those Bellydance DVDs aren't very good.

Neena and Veena have some fun videos
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The good thing about Belly Dance is, it's for all shapes, sizes, abilities.

outside of very extreme forms of dance- dance is for all shapes sizes and abilities. Modifications can be made to anything. Our West African friends who we trade classes with are all an "adult" troupe" and the youngest is like late 30's- into early 40's- the rest of them are all 50's and up. And West African is no joke.

Being said- I love Middle Eastern dance- it's so incredible rich and vibrant- and spans such a wealth of cultures and heirtage North Africa- Turkey- Egypt- the country to the night clubs- it's just ah... amazing. Seriously. I couldn't imagine my life without it.

anyway- moving on:
    . Some of those Bellydance DVDs aren't very good.

LOL very true
    but
    then
    why this recommendation- they are pretty much- awful.

If you're specifically looking for variety- check these sites and these dancers
    http://www.cheekygirlsproductions.com/store/index.html

Also
    http://www.salimpourschool.com/
    She has some mediocre fitness DVD's that get you kind of pointed in the right direction- but her on line classes are excellent- she's probably the top end of the technique realm you can get. No one can teach you more about technique than Suhaila.

Dance Fitness Video by a DC professional dancer- really nice lovely lady and a great professional.
    http://www.samirashuruk.com/home/raqfit/

Rachel Brice's School- She- Zoe and Marty are all former Suhaila Students.
    http://daturaonline.com/

• billiebutton
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The good thing about Belly Dance is, it's for all shapes, sizes, abilities.

outside of very extreme forms of dance- dance is for all shapes sizes and abilities. Modifications can be made to anything. Our West African friends who we trade classes with are all an "adult" troupe" and the youngest is like late 30's- into early 40's- the rest of them are all 50's and up. And West African is no joke.

Being said- I love Middle Eastern dance- it's so incredible rich and vibrant- and spans such a wealth of cultures and heirtage North Africa- Turkey- Egypt- the country to the night clubs- it's just ah... amazing. Seriously. I couldn't imagine my life without it.

anyway- moving on:
    . Some of those Bellydance DVDs aren't very good.

LOL very true
    but
    then
    why this recommendation- they are pretty much- awful.

If you're specifically looking for variety- check these sites and these dancers
    http://www.cheekygirlsproductions.com/store/index.html

Also
    http://www.salimpourschool.com/
    She has some mediocre fitness DVD's that get you kind of pointed in the right direction- but her on line classes are excellent- she's probably the top end of the technique realm you can get. No one can teach you more about technique than Suhaila.

Dance Fitness Video by a DC professional dancer- really nice lovely lady and a great professional.
    http://www.samirashuruk.com/home/raqfit/

Rachel Brice's School- She- Zoe and Marty are all former Suhaila Students.
    http://daturaonline.com/

Yes I agree dance is for All. The reason I made the comment about bellydance has to do with my own experience with dance. I have been dancing recreational and competitive for 28 years in a variety of styles.The style that I have personally seen the most variety of ages, shapes, sizes in one class is Belly Dance. I love the story about your West African friend. Where I live we also have an adult tap troupe with dancers ranging in age from about 60-80.

Neena and Veena yea they might not have been the best suggestion. I haven't done their stuff for a longgg time. If you're looking for technique of course Suhaila is great. She just didn't come to mind as a recommendation. That could be because one of my teachers just finished her Suhaila workshop and certification last week and has been kicking our butts in class. I'm actually pretty overwhelmed by it but, also enjoying the challenge and looking forward to elevating my technique.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

And LOL yeah- workshops and intensives- not for the faint of heart- they are dancer dancers.

Unfortunately the misconception that bellydance is a fluffy dance continues to dwindle- if you want to be A DANCER_ you must put the work in. But the people attending intensives and workshops are trying to push upwards- and be higher level professional dancers.

But- her basic technique videos are an excellent place to start- and they are very muscular driven- so it's a lot more focus on "do this to move that and protect this"- verses- "just move like this". Which is helpful for people looking to improve their bodies.

Anyway- sorry- ramble- obviously a thing I love. LOL
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I go line dancing once a week. It's as easy or as difficult as the dances you choose. I recommend checking out dancingfree.com and copperknob.com for dances you can learn at home. By the way, Line dancing isn't just country. Some of my favorite dances are to songs like Fireball, Uptown Funk, Happy, All About That Bass, etc.
  • billiebutton
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Agreed.

And LOL yeah- workshops and intensives- not for the faint of heart- they are dancer dancers.

Unfortunately the misconception that bellydance is a fluffy dance continues to dwindle- if you want to be A DANCER_ you must put the work in. But the people attending intensives and workshops are trying to push upwards- and be higher level professional dancers.

But- her basic technique videos are an excellent place to start- and they are very muscular driven- so it's a lot more focus on "do this to move that and protect this"- verses- "just move like this". Which is helpful for people looking to improve their bodies.

Anyway- sorry- ramble- obviously a thing I love. LOL

OOoh I might have to give those a look. It would be a good way to up my technique in between classes. I agree with you. Any style requires technique, work, and can be a lot of fun.
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    My daughter and I go line dancing once a week. It's as easy or as difficult as the dances you choose. I recommend checking out dancingfree.com and copperknob.com for dances you can learn at home. By the way, Line dancing isn't just country. Some of my favorite dances are to songs like Fireball, Uptown Funk, Happy, All About That Bass, etc.

That sounds so fun. This may sound cheesy but, I LOVE all the line dances you learn on cruise like: The Wobble, Danze Kuduro. I would love to try a class like yours.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Anyway- sorry- ramble- obviously a thing I

That sounds so fun. This may sound cheesy but, I LOVE all the line dances you learn on cruise like: The Wobble, Danze Kuduro. I would love to try a class like yours.

That doesn't sound cheesy at all! It's just good fun. By the way, dancing isn't just good for your body, It's good for your brain.
  • CaramelLatte14
    CaramelLatte14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with putting on some music that gets your feet tapping and just having a good old shimmy around your living room! It's the getting moving that counts.
    Lots of places offer dance classes for adult beginners - even if you do end dancing mostly at home, a class might be a good starting point. Have a google and see what's near you. I did contemporary jazz for about ten years and loved it.
    I've just started a lindy-hop class and the other dancers are everything from teenagers to a couple in their 70s. It is quite a bouncy dance style, but a good instructor will adapt around your needs. It's huge amounts of fun, and there's a real community around it - swing festivals, social dances...so a good way to make friends too!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If there's a dance school in your area that offers it in a recreational capacity, you could try a class in Limon Technique
    http://limon.org/training/limon-technique/

Or any contemporary/modern style
  • glennat229
    Options
    A few years ago, Vanessa Isaacs Hip Brazil dance workout DVD was #1 on amazon for a long time. I used to do her in person class a couple times a week and it was so fun - no motivation needed. I can't imagine doing the same thing at home alone and getting that same energy but if that's how you're gonna do it - well could work. She has newer vid now. I've seen small clips and they're good. I've dine plates vids at home, also Himalaya ' Bollywood workout is sort of fun. Finally you can get zumba dvds which mix it all up. Nothing technical but you're moving!
  • glennat229
    Options
    Oops - spell check rrrrrr. That was: I have done Pilates videos at home. Not dance but otherwise fits your criteria I think.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Tai chi (although not really a "dance" form) is something we do at our gym with people who need some physical movement, but are limited to intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try some form of dancing in an attempt to increase my proprioception. At least, I think it would help with that. However... I need something that
    A. I can learn by myself and do at home
    B. Doesn't involve explosive movements - as in, not jumping about a lot (I have hypermobility syndrome, so this wouldn't be good for me)
    C. Doesn't involve a very high range of motion - so not ballet, for instance (Same reason as previous point)

There probably isn't anything that fits my criteria... worth a try though. Any suggestions?

What kind of music do you like? You can Two-Step (not white-guy in da' club 2-step), Rumba, Waltz, Swing, there's a lot that aren't explosive but maybe just fast-paced.