Opinions on No carbs after 6?

Options
valarsen
valarsen Posts: 21 Member
I was reading an ebook recently that mentioned that you should not be eating any carbs after 6pm. I personally work a shifted schedule, so I do not always have meals at the same time everyday. So I am wondering if I just start cutting out carbs after 6 if my weight loss will be increased. If so, when is the best time for me to eat my carbs? And if not, why? I do not know the science behind all of this... But it was definitely intriguing to me.

Opinions?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's a myth. You're body doesn't tell time and carbs eaten after 6 don't get stored any differently to carbs eaten before 6.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I think this is silly because how does your body know what time it is? I work night shift, 7pm-7am, so what about the people who work nights. As long as you stay within your calorie goal you will lose weight, no need to change when you eat carbs. :D
  • deepakmadan441
    deepakmadan441 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think body does know what time it is. Why do you get sleepy at night and not day time? Moreover, metabolism is slow in the evenings. You are very much affected by sun's position in the day.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    well i work nights, so i am always sleepy in the day time and not at night. and no, your metabolism is not slower in the evenings.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think body does know what time it is. Why do you get sleepy at night and not day time? Moreover, metabolism is slow in the evenings. You are very much affected by sun's position in the day.

That's completely wrong, sorry.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Nah. Given free reign and no kids I would sleep from 4am-noon every day.
    Metabolism is slower in the evenings? Scientific source for this claim, please?

OP, that's a myth. And one of the sillier ones.
  • valarsen
    valarsen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think the idea behind no carbs after 6 is more relative. I think it's more within hours of bed. If I go to bed at 10pm every night, and don't eat carbs after 6 that's a 4 hour window. What do you think? Like if you go to bed at 8am every day you wouldn't eat carbs after 4am?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "Circadian rhythms" would be a useful search term. The CarbNite guys argue you should eat carbs when its dark. ie after 6pm in most cases.

http://caloriesproper.com/meal-timing-and-peripheral-circadian-clocks/ and various other items on the same blog cover the issue in depth.
  • rpgfreak128
    rpgfreak128 Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Honestly if its a weight loss you are looking for all you need is a calorie deficit whether it comes from carbs proteins or fat time day does not matter can be even right before bed, but for other health issues you should not get all your calories from carbs =D
  • stuartrapid
    Options
    valarsen wrote: »
    I think the idea behind no carbs after 6 is more relative. I think it's more within hours of bed. If I go to bed at 10pm every night, and don't eat carbs after 6 that's a 4 hour window. What do you think? Like if you go to bed at 8am every day you wouldn't eat carbs after 4am?
    yes your right no carbs after 7 is for pl who go to bed a few hours later . Not shift workers. What they should say is a light meal before bed. No need to sleep with a belly full of food with a high calorie count. Better to eat carbs at lunch so your body has the rest of the day to burn the cabs. A bowl of pasta for dinner is silly unless your about to go to work . Then that's a great choise

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Carbs can help some people sleep.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter! Calories in calories out. Your body doesn't care if you eat 1500 calories in the one hour before bed or 1500 calories during the day.

I'm a nighttime snacker and I will eat almost nothing during the day and then I eat a ton from dinner all the way until I go to bed (yes, carbs). I think you can see from my profile picture that I have had no trouble losing weight.

Stop making it complicated. Eat less calories than you use and profit.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    A calorie is the same at noon or at midnight. That being said, I used to have a rule about not eating after eight p.m. because I was working weird hours, and if I wasn't careful about it, I'd end up eating a fourth full meal for the day.

Ultimately, it's better to just be aware of how many calories you are taking in, but little tricks like that can sometimes make organizing your daily calories a little simpler.
  • rmsbodybuilding
    rmsbodybuilding Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    only carbs after 6!!! no carbs before 6
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I think this is just sweating the small stuff. I don't believe meal timing/carb timing makes any difference, but even if it did, the difference is so marginal that it's not worth considering. I have lost more than 90 pounds and my main food before bed consists of bananas, oranges and apples.. all of which are carb bombs.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    OP, it doesn't matter what you eat, how much you eat, nor when you eat it as long as you make your goals.

I really like the way all of it is summed up in this article:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-many-meals-a-day-when-how-often-should-you-eat/