Help!

Options
yushy05001
yushy05001 Posts: 5
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys!

So, I've finally taken the plunge and logged in after ages haha. I need some help.

Here is some info about me:
Height: 5 foot 6
Weight:185.2 lbs

I've used a good site:

My BMI is: 29.9
My BMR is: 1626 calories
My TDEE is: 1951 calories

I guess I'm the type of person who carries her weight well as you can't tell I'm that heavy :#

Anyway, I would like to lose 2 lbs to 3lbs MAXIMUM per week, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this in terms of how many calories I should eat etc... Being a student, I'm lucky if I can devote one hour per day to exercise.

Should I eat my BMR calories (1626) or stay under my TDEE via diet and exercise?

I honestly need help.

Thanks in advance :)

Maria

Replies

• LittleJem01
    LittleJem01 Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Maria, and welcome!

To lose 2lb per week you need to burn 7000 calories more than you eat, so on average a deficit of 1000 per day over the seven days. So, 1000 less than your TDEE gives you a net allowance of 951 cals/day (i.e. you can eat more than this as long as you're burning the cals back off through exercise). This 'net' figure is what you'd have to aim for to keep on target for a 2lb/wk loss.

However, if you're not exercising then a daily target of 951 is extremely low - I'm new to this myself (and no dietician) but I do know that it's not healthy or sustainable to eat that little over a long period. I'd suggest aiming for a less aggressive target of 1lb/wk, which would give you 1451 cals/day - it'll take longer to reach your target but it'll be healthier for your body, easier to stick to and make success much more likely. (3lb/wk would need a daily deficit of over 1500 cals per day - a daily net target of just 451 cals in your case - and IMO shouldn't be attempted).

Others will probably be able to explain all this much better than I can, but I hope this helps in the first instance. Good luck on your journey :)
  • yushy05001
    Options
    Hello LittleJem01, thank you for explaining. I'm in no hurry to lose my weight very fast, it's not like I gained it overnight! I'm gonna aim for 1.5 lbs per week :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same as you (5'6" and 186.2), and I couldn't imagine doing 2 pounds a week anymore. I'd be super hungry, and the potential for muscle loss is too great. 1-1.5 pounds per week is a good, sustainable loss for now, and that'll drop the closer we get to our goal.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and I have an allowance of 1460. Mine is set to 1lb a week. You can loose 4 stone in a year at that pace. I exercise and eat back half the earned calories.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    yushy05001 wrote: »
    I'm in no hurry to lose my weight very fast, it's not like I gained it overnight! I'm gonna aim for 1.5 lbs per week :)
    Actually, that is fast. Please try not to be discouraged with a drop of .5 to 1 lb per week. That is also a very good pace.
  • yushy05001
    Options
    Thank you, guys. I'm gonna stick with 1/1.5 lbs per week and report in a few months time. Good luck with your journeys! :smiley:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why so aggressive? What's the rush?
  • yushy05001
    Options
    Liftng4Lis, Hi! I guess I'm the kinda person who is more motivated when I see results, hence spurring me on. But I realise that I mustn't rush.