Calorie limit feels low

Options
My calorie allowance without exercise is only 1250. It feels so low and when I look at other peoples diaries it seems they are allowed more. Am I doing something wrong? I find it hard to stay under my limit.

Replies

• never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Change your goals and it will change your cals. If you want to eat more you have to do one of two things

1) burn more cals daily so you can eat more and lose the same amount of weight.
    2) lose less weight weekly so you can eat more without having to increase your daily cal burn.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How many pounds per week did you tell mfp that you want to lose? It will lower your goal by 250 for every half pound, to a minimum of 1200.
  • swilkinson0705
    swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My weight loss goal is set at 1 pound per week.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    what did you list as your activity level?
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you're short, female, sedentary, and want to lose more than 1/2lb a week then that's likely to happen. Same for me. I can't grow 6" taller (I've tried) or become a man. So that leaves becoming more active, and settling for a slower weight loss. These are the only ways to have a few more calories to eat each day.
    Wearing a fitness tracker really helped me to get more active because I became more aware of just how little I was walking, and it motivated me to find more little ways to walk more - taking the stairs, parking at the furthest corner of the car park, offering to go out on chores and errands. These things all now make me think "Oh great, that will help me get a few more hundred steps today!" because I know I'll SEE the results when I check my step count log.
    Settling for a slower weight loss also really helped me, too. I relaxed because it's not a race, it's a lifelong change for the better. Little blips upwards don't phase me. There's no hurry. No finish line. I'm making permanent changes to how I live my life and I love it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Check again your maintenance level would be 1750 at that rate and that seems low. If your calorie level is too low that you cant sustain it, then that is no use because you will never meet it or you will struggle.

Redo the math to check your calculation is correct.
    Lower your weight loss traget.
    Supplement with exercise for extra calories.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You only have 11 lbs to go so you could probably get by with 1/2 lb per week. The problem with that is that you have a small deficit so you have to be extremely accurate with your logging or it's easy to underestimate to the point that you don't lose weight.

Did you choose sedentary? If so, are you really sedentary or did you choose that because it's the lowest option?
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Check again your maintenance level would be 1750 at that rate and that seems low. If your calorie level is too low that you cant sustain it, then that is no use because you will never meet it or you will struggle.

All of this!^^^
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My weight loss goal is set at 1 pound per week.

With only 11 lbs to lose, 1/2 lb might be better but also keep in mind this is before exercise. Exercise will give you calories too.

But if you do this for 4 to 6 weeks and you see more loss than anticipated, you could add more calories as they estimates are off. Typically, I see most women losing around 1700-2100 calories. But most are working out 4-6 hours a week.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

If she has a sedentary job, is not very overweight and is of average height, her maintenance could be well below 1750. For me, it is barely 1500 without exercise.
  • swilkinson0705
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. I will lower it to 1/2 lb a week. I know my exercise level will pick up now that spring is here and I can get out more. I am leaving at sedentary because I have a desk job and don't get to "walk the halls" that much.
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here. I would also say that you should be trying to hit your calorie goal and not stay under it. I have found a good rule is to shoot to be within 100 +/- of you goal.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If I leave MFP set as sedentary & lose 1lb/week, I get 1200 calories. Change that to 0.5 lb/week and it's 1310. Some days I'm very active (up away from my desk a lot and getting in between 5k-8k steps) and other days I'm lucky to break 4k.

I would definitely switch to 0.5lb/week and try to move as much as you can, even with a desk job. I try to get up at least every hour and walk around for a few minutes. If that's not feasible, try to get in some walking over your lunch, too!

~Lyssa
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", female, sedentary (desk job), and have under 20 lbs to lose. I'm allocated 1200 before exercise if I choose a 1 lb/week loss. You're not doing anything wrong but if you feel the calories are too low then you should bump it to a slower weight loss. There's no need to rush things.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5", 40 years old, female and 125ish pounds. Maintenance for me is about 1800 - and that's with exercise/activity. I have a desk job, but walk/run (depending on the day) to get in 10-12k steps per day. If I did not make that effort, my maintenance would be 1500-1600.

So 1750 maintenance, before exercise, could be realistic.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    thatsthepoint.jpg
  • swilkinson0705
    Options
    thatsthepoint.jpg

Not sure what you are trying to say. Why don't you be direct?