Hurting myself biking

Options
The weather is getting warmer and I would like to try biking outdoors more instead of at the gym. I biked for 90 minutes yesterday around my city so it wasn't like a hard bike peddling, since most of my city consist of a grave yard an a few roads.
I was feeling fine, no pain. I went to sleep yesterday night and I was awaken by a sharp pain in my rear and my left knee.
This isn't the first time it happened this year!, is it the bike I am using and the seat I have? I have a mountain bike (not sure the brand) and I have used it for years in my youth and now all of the sudden it's giving me problems?
Do I need a different bike? Or is it me?

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Make certain your seat is high enough. I see it all the time, people want to comfortably be able to put their feet on the ground while seated. If you can do that, your seat is probably too low and will cause knee pain.

Your leg should be nearly fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke while seated.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    And as for the rear, get padded bike shorts. And make sure you are sitting on the sale properly, far back on your sit bones.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Google or Youtube how to set your bike up correctly it makes a difference.

Link below for a good youtube vid on bike set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYhyppWTDc
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    DeeTee68 wrote: »
    Google or Youtube how to set your bike up correctly it makes a difference.
    or could visit your local bike store. They should be able to help you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Do we even know it's the bike or the riding that's causing the problem?