gaining weight the right way?

Options
Im on track to gain a pound of weightva week...i am at 150lbs and im looking to get to 170-175. I know its easier to gain the weight versus gaining it all in muscle. My question is, should i gain my goal weight first then cut and then go back up or should i gain maybe 10 lbs at a time and then cut? I believe in either case i have a lot of work to do to get to where i would like to be or being 5'4 is 170-175 maybe a bit to heavy for my frame?
I now a lot about working out and the do's and don'ts but i never gained and cut since 155 has been my heaviest and it took a very long time to get to that stage. Any advice?

Replies

• dukecrazy77
    dukecrazy77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also know, the more i gain the more I'll need to eat and eventually the stronger i get the harder it will take to gain muscle, any tips to get pass this wall?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    5'4 150 is a pretty good weight is are low double digit bf%, why are you looking at gaining?

I am 5'6" 140ish in my profile pic and think I have a decent amount of muscle mass.

That said, if you are bulking you will gain fat and muscle, not just muscle. To gain less fat while bulking make sure you get adequate protein, a smaller surplus may be better maybe 0.5lbs/week, and take part in a progressive overloading strength training routine.
  • dukecrazy77
    dukecrazy77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well i am looking at doing my first contest in about a year and all though im not looking to keep my weight at 170 or so, its just a goal of mine. Gaining weight has always been hard for me, even being 37, it hasnt slowed down much at all. I use to eat anything and everything as instructed when i was younger and when i gained 10lbs but looked blotted, i just cut my eating in half and started over. Usually i maintained a 145lb weight but as of a few months ago, i decided to clean up my eating alot. Around 160 protein and 400 carbs. I have gained anout 4 pounds in 6 weeks and i have some fat gain but not close to the amount in the pass. So i thought about possibly cutting that in half per week and maybe wouldn't have to worry about the excess fat gain and maybe it would be easier to cut. Over all i just want to get to 175 for me and to prove all my doubters wrong...thats my motivation.
    140lbs? You look a lot larger than that, good job!